“Will try again........” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Meridian, Idaho, United States
“Will try again........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I go out to dinner once a month. We have decided to try a new place instead of going to the same ol standby every time so we decided to try Gino's in Meridian.

The atmosphere was nice, not too fancy but nice. We decided to sit outside since it was nice out. Our sever greeted us quickly and told us the specials. Ordered the Calamari as and appetizer as our waiter said it was the best in Boise. They brought our Calamari and we ordered our food. We both ordered the seafood lasagne. The Calamari was very good but I wouldn't say it was the BEST, I preferred Jaker's better.

We were enjoying or appetizer and the assistant server can and asked if we were finished, we told him no and had to ask for bread. We kept eating bread and Calamari waiting for our salads to arrive. We kept waiting and waiting for the next course to arrive and the assistant server came and asked again if we were done with our appetizer. The third time he asked we told him to just box up the Calamari and then asked where our salads were, he took the Calamari and said he would check. About 10 minutes later the salads arrived and they were average, nothing special. We waited another 10-15 minutes before the entrees arrived..........they looked wonderful!

We both dug in and my friend kept blowing on hers because it was all nice and hot, mine on the other hand was warm at best. It was very good, but mine was cold.

We informed the assistant server (our server wasn't very attentive and had another person pop in to check on us) and he was very apologetic and sent our server over who we explained about the long wait and now the cold food. His reply was that they don't bring out the next course until you are finished with the first. Well we wanted to keep our appetizers and nibble on it while the other food was coming out. So they were waiting for us to finish our appetizer and the assistant server wasn't very experienced so didn't communicate with us as well as he could have.

Overall it was very good food and was upscale Italian. Not like going to Olive Garden. We will go again and give it another try.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Caldwell, Idaho
“We are transported back to Italy every time we dine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Having traveled to Italy twice in 5 years, we have really struggled to find a restaurant with the taste and quality of food which we experienced when we traveled there. Nothing could compare to the food in that amazing country. That is, until we found Gino's in Meridian. We 1st dined there on our anniversary a little over a year ago (being highly recommended by everyone I worked with), and were almost overwhelmed with the taste and quality of the food! It is the closest thing we have found since our travels to Florence, Positano, Venice, and Rome. I cannot even count the number of times we have eaten at Gino's; and still we never tire of the cuisine!!! Gino is the attentive host, checking on his patrons to make sure everything is at it's best; if it's not--he makes sure everything is made right! We have recommended this establishment to all of our family and friends, and they feel the exact same way. You will NOT be disappointed!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Idaho
“Very Impressed - Coming Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I just went to Gino’s with some girlfriends for dinner. I would have never of thought of a good restaurant out in the middle of the country (almost), but really it kind of is. My friend suggested it because they had been before. They have outside dining and I wished we could have enjoyed it, but it was raining that day. Need to definitely come back.
The ambience is ok. Nice enough for a restaurant in a strip mall. I liked what they did with the recessed lighting. I wished the chairs could be more comfortable. Wrought iron backs with thin cushions to sit on. After sitting there for 3 hours – yes 3 hours – my bum certainly was a little sore. I was very surprised to see it packed for being a Wednesday night. Good for them! They didn’t really have much of a bar section. A few high tables (maybe 4) when you first walk in which I figured was the bar area. The rest was the restaurant area.
They have a wonderful wine selection which I think every Italian restaurant should have. They have a wonderful menu also. Pricing was fairly decent. We did not have appetizers, so I can’t comment on that. They brought the bread out along with a little bowl of oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and maybe oregano or parsley (couldn’t tell because the garlic & red pepper flakes were overwhelming). The bread is absolutely wonderful! Fresh, hot out of the oven. The garlic and oil was a tad hot since it had pepper flakes in it. The garlic was certainly fresh. I had the fettuccine with sausage and veggies. It was delicious! Very rich and thick alfredo sauce. The veggies were cooked to perfection (carrots, asparagus, broccoli, maybe more – can’t remember). The sausage was a tad spicy but I loved it that way. All of us had to add salt and pepper to our order, but I think that’s the way restaurants are going because some people don’t want salt. Better to add then to have too much. I didn’t care so much for the other plates that my friends had. One had the Baked Zitti, one had the seafood lasagna, both of these were to dry for my taste – just not enough sauce, one had the Chicken Marcela, and one had a chicken dish with greens in it. I liked this one better than any of them. It was light and good. For the Chicken Marcela , you could have a dry or sweet and my friend had the dry. I think if I were to try that plate again, I would try the sweet. The dry didn’t have much of a taste to it. Everyone agreed on this. We decided to try a couple of desserts. We had the crème’ brulee and Tiramisu. Oh my goodness. The Tiramisu is a must have even if it means taking it home later for dessert. It was so good! The crème brulee was ok. It had a couple of cherry’s in the bottom of it which was ok. But, pretty much tasted like any crème brulee. I will definitely be coming back here to try more dishes and maybe get to sit outside this time. I have a friend from New York who is Italian coming out this summer, so I will definitely bring her here to try it out and see what she says. Our waiter was very pleasant and Gino came around checking on everyone. Good job Gino’s and I hope you succeed out there. It’s a growing area. The word has definitely got out that it’s a good place to eat since it was packed on a Wednesday night.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Meridian, Idaho
“Just not good enough...again &...for the 3rd time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hmmmm...run out of cream sauces, bread never ready, entree's served staggered, plate removal similar to a Denny's, plain dishes (I can make better), over priced food! Now for the good stuff...our server was great and Gino always has a smile...sorry he's not in the kitchen though, cooking like he did downtown :(
I saw the sign saying its the best Italian in Boise? Say no more...When you don't know any better then its great! Just like the Indian and Chineese food in town too....sorry Gino :(

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Simply the best Italian in the Boise Valley. Exquisite food. Authentic flavors. Wide variety. Excellent wines in a nice, cozy athmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere