“Not bad but there is better in town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lava Spa Motel & RV Park

Lava Spa Motel & RV Park
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lava Hot Springs
Lava Spa Motel & RV Park
359 East Main, Lava Hot Springs, ID 83246   |
Utah
“Not bad but there is better in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night. It's a good nights sleep but its an old motel that they have refurbished at bit. The room was quiet, I don't remember hearing anything at all from my neighbors and the place was fully booked that night. The walls could use a good washing and a fresh coat of paint but I don't sleep on the walls. The shower was good and they raised the shower head so I didn't have to kneel in the shower to wash my hair. I'd stay here again if I couldn't get a room at the Home Hotel.

The lady at the desk when I checked in didn't seem very friendly. I felt like I was keeping her from something she felt was more important. She was nice and did what was necessary but I just didn't feel that welcome. I had friends staying across the street (Home Hotel)and I'll admit I wish I could have gotten a room there but they were full. The rooms don't even compare. Don't know if the cost is higher there or not but its worth checking into.

• Stayed June 2012

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I read several reviews on different properties before selecting this motel. This was a great choice. I was not expecting the Hilton Garden and knew from my search that Lava and it's businesses are unique. I found this motel to be extremely clean and comfortable. The room I was in had recently been remodeled and had new furnishings. The bed was new and I slept great. We were next to the river and I opened the window and was able to hear the sound of rushing water all night. I will definitely be back. Worth checking out.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the river have the benefit of the river.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We planned a last minute trip to Lava for the Fire and Ice Festival. As the festival draws in a large number of people there were very few places with vacancies and we had almost decided not to go when we happened upon the Lava Spa Motel. We immediately called and found that they had a King room available which we snapped up quickly. The rate they quoted us was $59 and we thought that was a steal! After booking the room we read the previous reviews so we were quite nervous about what we would find when we got there. Boy are we glad we didn't cancel based on the reviews. We got to the hotel for check in and were greeted by the lady at the front desk who was making cookies with her grandson. We raved about the wonderful smell and she actually went and got cookies for us to try. They were DELICIOUS and it was so thoughtful of her. With tax, our room came to around $65. Extremely affordable! We were given our room key and moved our car right in front of the door as it is a one level motel with a parking space (off street) in front of each door. We opened the door and were pleasantly surprised to find a clean and comfortable room with a King sized bed. Although it is an older motel, it wasn't dirty or run down looking. There was a table, a microwave, and a fridge which we were really happy about. The bathroom had obviously been remodeled and had a nice pedestal sink and a shower that was newly tiled. Our only serious complaints were that the door had gaps under and around the sides so there was a lot of cold air coming in and also that there was hardly any water pressure in the shower. Hey, for $65 dollars we were thrilled. We were so happy with the room that we tried to book one for the next night. The man at the desk put our name down and our number and said he would call if there was a vacancy, sadly, there wasn't. If you are looking for a fancy place to stay, this isn't it. If you want a clean affordable room with your own bathroom (many of the places in Lava have shared restrooms, not my idea of fun) that is within easy walking distance of the pools and the restaurants, we highly recommend that you check the Lava Spa Motel out. We are so glad that we did. We even got to take our dog for an extremely reasonable charge. She wanted us to add that the motel is fit for dogs and people too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Sheets were dirty, like diaper was changed on them when we got there, pulled them 1/2 off the bed after spot washing them so we could sleep on them the first night and they still did not change until I asked them to. Found a dirty man's t-shirt under the bed. Hand towels and toiledt paper were not replaced one night. We were there 3 nights - room looks nothing like their website and was not remodeled. New carpet, TV, microwave and mini fridge, new tables, but chairs were old (one had a hole in it), beds were old, walls were painted on top of many unsightly blemishes, bathrooms had mold underneath caulking, drapes were old, AC was old. Sat.,motorcycle riders moved into town and it was very loud, police visited our motel twice, and people in room next to ours were being DISGUSTING from midnight until 2:30 a.m. No sleep. Had to park on street because they are short parking spaces for # of rooms. Only one electric outlight.

Room Tip: Great for daytime only, no overnights!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We were there with our motorcycle club. We had a nice room, although the motel is older it is very clean and has nice accomodations. My husband thought the bed was uncomfortable but I was fine with it. A few people in our group had some issues and they were immediatly addresss and resolved. The front desk was very accomodating and friendly. I would stay in this hotel again. Very close to the hot springs and a short walk to town shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2011
South Jordan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Very nice, clean and quiet motel almost across the street from the Lava Hot Springs. However, upon checkin, we noticed the bed was double sized instead of the queen sized bed we had booked for. Upon notifying the front desk, they had the gall in saying it was an "older queen sized bed" !!! Since this motel looked to be all booked up for the night, we didn't pursue in trying to get another room with a genuine queen sized bed. Upon checking out the next morning, I saw a couple of rooms were opened up due to being cleaned up by the maids. Well, lo and behold, these two rooms did indeed have queen sized beds ! So, I didn't appreciate being lied to by the hotel front desk person about the so-called queen sized bed. If you book a room here, be sure to tell them you don't want a bed that is an "older queen sized bed". Despite this problem, I would stay at this place again as it really was clean and convenient to being so close to the hot springs pools.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I still don't know how they justify the SPA in their name. It was a typical motel: small, drive up and park in front of your room, bed, bathroom, tv. Our first day we noticed that the old, antiquated air conditioner blew hot air when you adjusted the dial to A/C. When you moved the dial to HEAT it also blew HOT AIR. So your choices were hot air, hot air, hotter air, or fan. We told the office staff (who we later found out were the owners) and they came to "fix it".

Apparently "fix it" at this motel means to give you an old oscillating fan with a hole in the front (perfect to slice off little fingers) and tell you to open the window. Oh, you mean the window that all of the people staying at the RV park right behind our room walk by every 10 seconds? Awesome. And completely safe. And not at all loud when the fireworks start at 10:30 pm.

They still had not fixed the issue by the next EVENING and lamely offered $20 as compensation because "that is how much it would cost to go into Pocatello to get a new unit." First of all, not my problem. Second of all, why didn't you do that YESTERDAY or at least earlier that Saturday night?

And then they tell us that the people before us never complained about the air conditioning. Nobody else ever mentioned that it was broken--that ancient, noisy, multiple-decades-old cooling unit. Also that "a million people had called" that weekend willing to take any room from them. But they are so upstanding that they let us stay. And they know that we could email 1000 people and tell them to never come to this motel, so they want to make it right. Which all felt like an amped-up, fists-ready, we've-been-talking-and-don't-want-to-give-an-inch argument starter.

This is my first negative review of any place. So, for YOUR SAKE, don't patronize this motel the next time you go to Idaho. I'm so beyond disappointed. It would not have taken much for them to have made this a positive experience, instead it was a horrible experience.

Let me say that the housekeeping ladies were incredibly nice and accommodating. But, the owners take their patrons for granted and make you feel that you are a dime a dozen; they could kick you out for asking for an extra bar of soap, because "millions" of people are on the phone ready to take your place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lava Spa Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!