“Won't stay there again-nearly ruined my suprise for my Boyfriend's birthday!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lava Hot Springs Inn

You added Lava Hot Springs Inn to your Saves list
Lava Hot Springs Inn
94 E. Portneuf Ave., Lava Hot Springs, ID 83246   |
Salt Lake City, UT
“Won't stay there again-nearly ruined my suprise for my Boyfriend's birthday!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I made a reservation for Sept 6 for the Cottage. I called back 2 weeks later and booked a couples massage for the same day. I then confirmed my reservation. When we got there I was told I had a reservation for Sept 27 for Room 8. Not even close!! Yet my massage appointment was still confirmed for the correct day. They gave us a room in the Aladdin that slept 6 but we only needed one bed and it was noisy. Also there was broken glass and debris on the dilapidated "private balcany".

The grounds to the main building was overgrown with weeds and unkept. My boyfriend is an electrician and noted several "code violations" with the electrical with the lights outside. There were very large broken branches still laying on the grounds. It could be a really cool place if someone put forth some effort in cleaning and upkeep.

The pools are great! The massage therapists that they hired (Cory Leafty and Kathryn) were great! They had my appointment correct what happened to my room booking????

This was our first trip to Lava. We definitely won't be staying at the Lava Hot Spring Inn again but we may pay to use thier pools for the day.

• Disliked — They screwed up the reservation and I didn't get the Cottage that I reserved. Got stuck with a room that I didn't want.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Salt Lake City, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

I stayed in the Blue House with six of my girl friends as a graduation trip before we all went away to different schools. We stayed in the blue house and just from the look of it we should have known better. We pulled up and the house's screen door was ripped, the front door doesn't open all the way, and the blinds were broken. When we walked in it stunk so we had to open all the windows and spray some body spray we had to get it to smell ok. The sink leaked, the shower was dirty and we didn't dare go in it without flip flops, there was no blow dryer, the fridge door was missing the handle, and the beds were as comfortable as sleeping on a box. We tried playing a CD in the DVD player but you couldn't skip tracks because the remote didn't work. Thankfully we only stayed overnight. When I got home and was unpacking I realized I had left some clothes and my wallet. I hurried and called and they retrieved the items and told me they would ship them home to me as soon as possible. It has been over a week so I called them today and the clothes are still sitting there but the wallet is missing! Now I am in the process of cancelling my cards because of their negligance! So fair warning if you stay there and if you forget anything sorry but that is the last time you will probally ever see it!

• Liked — The hot springs
  • Disliked — The service and management
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

My husband booked this great little "get away" for us in Lava. I love the mountainous atmosphere that Lava provides, and the town is completely adorable! (The Purple Moon is my favorite shop!) I was so excited when he told me we were going to stay at the Lava Hot Springs Inn, because I knew they had private pools and I am not one who can relax in large crowds, not to mention I like the history provided staying in an old hotel!
We checked in at the main building and we stayed in the Aladin. Our service was great by the check in staff memeber, although directions were quite vague as to how to get to our room, which we figured out it's not that big of a town!
The room was nice. We weren't expecting the Hilton, or even close to that because this is a little town in the mountains! The only complaints I have are with the room that we stayed in. The tub was in the corner in a room with windows like a sun room. To my disliking, because it wasn't ventilated, the floor and ceiling were moldy and there were bugs crawling around. Also, the place was VERY noisy. We could hear the couple upstairs.. and the room is right by the front door so when ever people came in or out of the building we felt a draft and heard the door slam. along with everything anyone said. The room was a bit cold, but the heater worked ok.
We didn't partake in the hot pools because it was a very cold snowy day, so we just took advantage of the giant tub, which was awesome. The bed was also very comfortable.
Breakfast was delicious, and all the staff in the morning were cheery and great!
All in all our stay was great, because of the time we got to spend together, and taking the little things in stride. It is an old hotel...happiness is what you make it.

• Liked — Mountainous Setting
  • Disliked — Moldy Ceilings
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jackson, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

We were not happy with our stay. On that Sunday, room #4 was rented (just for the day) to a large group (20 or so) of Hispanic folks. They were having a huge party in the Hotel's hot pools. When they were done in the pools, they were running and roaming through the upstairs rooms stealing towels and whatever they could find. The rooms are left unlocked, and are almost impossible to lock/unlock with the keys provided. Some kids and their dad walked in on us! Were were sitting around our room reading.

They also filled up the upstairs bathrooms to shower and change. I couldn't go to the restroom! And they didn't leave until late (around 11 pm). They left a huge mess that we had to wade though the next morning. Where was the management? There was no consideration for the overnight guests.

The rooms are very small, cold and drafty, and the ceiling was cracked and the paint peeling! The front desk gal was about 18 and had about 5 of her guy friends hanging around the desk area that first night. She acted 'bothered' by us for asking how to get more towels.

• Liked — Leaving to go back home
  • Disliked — ALL of it
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SF Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

We stayed at the Inn for a night after driving from Salt Lake City. Contrary to what others have written, the room and hall bathroom were quite clean. Management was helpful, breakfast was OK, and the mineral pools were hot and soothing. All in all, the place is old and a bit funky. We didn't have great expectations, so we weren't really disappointed with the accommodations.

However, and it's a big however, our room was on the river side of the Inn and therefore also on the railroad side. It was a hot night and there was no air conditioning, just a ceiling fan, so we left our window open. The trains started passing sometime in the middle of the night, blowing their whistles 9 times as they passed through town. Even earplugs couldn't stop us from bolting awake each time the whistle blew. It was torture. Toward morning it got cool enough to close the double-pane window, which barely muffled the sound. After the sun rose, we didn't hear another train.

We got breakfast and lots of coffee and got out of there as soon as we could.

Too bad about the trains. Lava Hot Springs is a cute little town.

• Liked — hot springs
  • Disliked — railroad noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chattaroy, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

After reading other reviews, I decided to call the property and express concerns over some negative feedback. I was assured that we would enjoy our stay, and was asked to speak up if we encountered any problems. When we pulled off the road, we were pleased to see the inn was RIGHT on the Portneuf River, and the whole town and all the visitors had turned out for a parade down the main street. We stayed in the main building, which is old, but is in a beautiful setting. The pools are absolutely clean and clear, and are open to the public for a fee, but were never crowded. The river flows right thru the middle of town, back and forth under little bridges, and people tube down it, get out, walk right back up the main street and jump in again.
Breakfast was very good, served buffet style, with an egg dish, pancakes, hashbrowns, fresh fruit, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, as much as you wanted and freshly prepared.
We spent hours in the pools, which were very clean and surrounded by trees, grass and flowers, soaking and meeting other people. The staff was friendly and helpful, although not always available. Now for the bad...the kitchen/dining area is in an extremely smelly basement. You can grab your breakfast and eat elsewhere on the property. The walls of our room were NOT clean. The bathrooms (4 per floor, 6 or 8 guestrooms per floor) were clean enough, although they also had an old,damp smell. Most of the problems we had could be easily and quickly resolved if staff did some THOROUGH cleaning and opened the basement windows!! However, we did enjoy the pools, the setting, and the breakfast so much, we chose to stay another night on our return trip to Washington. The little town is very charming, and, if you are prepared for somewhat less than spotless accomodations, you will have a great time!

• Liked — Soaking pools, great breakfasts, lovely setting on the river
  • Disliked — Smelly carpets, unclean walls in room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grand Canyon, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

We booked the "Blue House" for a two night stay. For $393 we did not get ANYTHING we asked for. We were told we'd have a roll-away bed but it never showed up and when we asked about it we were told they didn't have one. The kitchen was totally unequipped--the refridgerator doesn't even have a handle on the door. We decided to stay anyway and started looking for a place for our 14 year old son to sleep. When we looked under the cushions of the couch we found mouse droppings (and a half eaten dog snack). When we went to the front desk to ask to be let out of our reservation we were told that we'd have to wait an hour or two for the owner to call us back. After threatening to call the county health department we were given our money back and we left as quickly as our feet would take us.

Oh, and private pools?? No! There is a sign at the entrance that says it's open to the public for a fee.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Unsanitary condition
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lava Hot Springs Inn? Share your experiences!