“Incredible Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Portneuf Grille & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main & Third Street
Description: The Portneuf Grille & Lounge is open nightly featuring creative Northwest cuisine prepared by our professional culinary staff, Chef Alonzo Thomas, Chef James Letourneau & Pastry Chef Julie Keller. Our cuisine features seafood, steaks, pastas, vegetarian dishes & desserts plus a full selection of Northwest wines, microbrews and a full lounge selection. Special dinner features are Ciopinno on Friday nights & Prime Rib on Saturday nights (while it lasts). Enjoy live entertainment in the restaurant every Thursday night (outdoors during the summer). The lounge features small plates nightly during Happy Hour, "Taco Tuesday", "Ladies Night Wednesdays" & "Feel Good Friday".The restaurant & lounge are open nightly at 5pm for dinner with the lounge open at 3pm on Friday & Saturday for Happy Hour & small plates. Breakfast is served on Saturday & Sunday mornings from 8am to 11am. The restaurant & lounge are located in the lower level of the Riverside Hot Springs Inn. All facilities are non-smoking. Reservations Recommended.
“Incredible Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was very impressed with the meal here. The duck confit appetizer was phenomenal, with a sauce perfectly sweetened. I had the 10 oz. prime rib dinner. The prime rib was beautifully marbled, and included a wonderful au jus dipping sauce. The fries were unlike any I have ever encounter. They were exceedingly long, with the perfect amount of crisp. Gently seasoned, and clearly baked.

My partner had a half-rack of ribs covered in a vinegar infused sauce. She had the baked potato that came with, a decadent garlic herb butter side.

The service was excellent. The waitress was professional, and personable. She had pairing recommendations, and was honest about the wine she would normally recommend but was out of that evening.

If you are looking for fine dining in Lava Hot Springs, this is the place. It rivals the fine dining we have experienced in Salt Lake City, with no drop off for the small town setting.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Park City, Utah
“Restaurant was first class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband wanted a nice celebratory meal while in Lava and several locals said the Riverside Inn was "the place" and they were spot on. The turban of salmon/sole was magnificent. The brined pork could've perhaps been served closer to med rare-med but the experience as a whole was terrific!!! Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Best Small Town Menu Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was one of the best meals I have ever eaten in a small town/highly seasonal destination. The Inn it is housed in turns 100 this year but the menu reflects the extensive culinary background of operators Alonzo and James, and offers a delightful modern selection.

Wine and drink pairings were an unexpected touch, and unexpected items like duck con fit pasta and Ahi Tuna set this menu apart from everywhere else in town.

Though small and staffed sparsely for the off season, this is an excellent departure from most dining expereinces in town, and I would reccommendd it to anyone looking for a nicer meal while vacationing in the area. The dishes were hearty, very well presented and exceptionally balanced.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alta, Wyoming
“Maybe cuz it was a Monday?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We ate here in a recent Monday night.. We the only ones in the dining area.

The building is a very cool 100 yr old structure. The dining area is unfortunately kinda an afterthought, as it's tucked into a basement of sorts. However, they did make it somewhat cozy for what it is.

We started off with a couple glasses of wine.. $9 a glass is a little steep for a place like this, but oh well.

I had a caesar salad... with roasted poblano dressing. It was very good. The wife has a soup that was a seafood/tomatoe based type bisque.. she said it was good, but too spicy. I have to agree, the spices overpowered the soup.

For dinner, the wife had the Coq au Vin. We both agreed it was a little underwhelming. The chicken tasted like it was frozen and thawed and maybe reheated a few times.. and the sauce was just... off... not terrible, but not great.

I had the ahi tuna (they were out of the steak I wanted).. I have to say it was the worst I've had in my life. The bright pink color should have given me a clue... extremely cheap ahi.. It looked beautiful when it came out, but it was the fattiest, chewiest piece of fish I've ever had. I know this is Idaho, but come on...I live in WY, and can order frozen ahi that tastes alot better than this. My green beans were definitely frozen, and had no flavor at all.

The service was decent, but being the only patrons......

All in all, I wish I could have given this place better review.. It has potential, but even though it was a Monday night in winter, you either need to make a better effort in food quality, or charge less.. another option is to dumb down the menu in slow times. You can still make some great dishes, but not sacrifice quality as much. just under $100 for a meh dinner is not a good feeling.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Logan, Utah
“Amazingly Prepared and Presented”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My husband and I went here for a relaxing getaway and this was definitely our favorite and most talked about experience from Lava! The food is seriously to die for! My husband had lamb and I had Tuna...everything we had was uniquely different both in flavor and presentation. We are definitely going back and soon, and telling all of our friends!

• Visited October 2013