“Everything needed for an awesome get-a-way.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Hot Springs Inn

You added Riverside Hot Springs Inn to your Saves list
Riverside Hot Springs Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   255 East Portneuf Avenue, P.O. Box 127, Lava Hot Springs, ID 83246   |
Utah
“Everything needed for an awesome get-a-way.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

In Lava Hot Springs this Inn has the best location being right next to the outdoor Springs. Not to mention they have their own private mineral bath rooms. The staff there went above and beyond necessary to ensure my wife's and my stay was as enjoyable as possible. They even outsourced to find my wife a beautiful flower arrangment for our anniversary. I would definitely recomend this Inn to any of my friends, and I know where we will be staying anytime we go to Lava Hot Springs again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Southern Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

The staff at Riverside Hot Springs Inn went above and beyond to make or stay a success. They were always willing to help and showed a personal interest in our comfort. This is a delightful inn with the special character of it's1914 construction.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

First I must say the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They definitely try their best given their limited resources.

My small family and I stayed for 2 nights and paid a high rate for the hotel's "apartment" which was set up like a 1 bedroom apartment, but no bedroom door (?). It was very large and included a kitchen, private bath, 2 beds and furniture. We loved the size and settled in. It would have been perfect but for (1) cleanliness and (2) terrible quality of the beds. The floor was sticky and we were grossed out to discover half way through drinking coffee from the mugs that they had dried food on them (and were dirty). The kitchen's dishwasher and garbage disposal were both broken. The queen bed must have been an original from 1914, the mattress and boxspring made incredible noise and had no support left whatsoever. The double bed mattress was slightly better, but was only the size of a double. We borrowed the hotel's "Crib" for our baby which is really meant probably for a 4 month or so. It was very small and probably from the 1960s. I cringed putting my baby into it but had no choice; I would have brought our own pack and play but the hotel assured me they had a "crib" we could use. I did think ahead and brought my own sheets. I doubt the "crib" would have passed safety tests.

We did get massages, and if you choose to get one, be sure to check the hours of the restaurant's bar which is directly next to the massage room. The wall in between is sheetrock only, no insulation. My husband and I were treated to a loud sports game, noisy barfly conversation and dishes clinking all through our splurge of a massage. If the bar is open, do not get a massage. If you do get one, choose Glenda, she is absolutely fabulous and a kind person.

We ate at the Thai restaurant (good) and a bar down the street for pizza. Just remember that when you go to Lava Hot Springs, it is not for the food. We prefer to eat relatively healthy which was impossible in this town. We did not eat at our hotel's restaurant but have heard it is good. The reason we didn't eat at the restaurant was after our experience with the lack of cleanliness, we didn't know how far that would extend and didn't want to chance it.

We could not go to the state park for their hot springs because the temperature was too high for our baby. The indoor tubs at this hotel were nice, because you could add cold water and we could go in with our baby.

We learned through various sources that the owner of the hotel did not want to put any more money into the hotel, which had quickly become a money pit. Clearly the hotel needs a facelift, at least a minimum of basic comfort upgrades. In some cases, fresh paint would do wonders. We were told that in the winter, guests are given space heaters to warm their rooms because there is no heat! We could not fathom this, but it is indeed a reason to discuss the issue when you inquire about a room in the winter. In a mountain climate, this is pretty ridiculous. In the winter, a space heater never would have heated the large room we had.

I believe given the off season time we stayed, we shoud have paid less. Had the accomodations been (particularly the bed) at least basically comfortable we would not have minded the cost. My husband and I slept on the futon, and when that is actually more comfortable than the bed, there is defninitely a problem.

I would recommend this hotel only if the potential guest understood the basic accomodations and lack of comfort to be had. I do note that the apartment set up and lay out, and size worked well for us and our specific needs. We were also able to bring our dog which was a huge plus.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Twin Falls, ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Hands down the best place in lava to stay. The food was top notch with excellent servers and staff on hand 24 hrs. Rooms are very clean and quiet and the location couldn't be any better river views and within walking distance of everything.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We were on a fun weekend in Lava and Jackson Hole (during the day). We spent two nights at the Riverside Hot Springs inn. The smell of the place was overwhelming. We were very glad we could open the windows. The continental breakfast was something we could have picked up at the 7-11 nothing memorable. It is a gorgeous old building that needs carpets pulled up and deep cleaning. We drove to Jackson Hole the first morning returning about 5 p.m. The room maid hadn't been in to make our bed and the towels hadn't been changed. I don't mind making the bed or using the same towels but when you're paying the same amount as a regular hotel, there are some services that need to be done. We've stayed in Lava before. The town pool and hot pots are so excellent. The B&B has some great places in town to draw lots of attention from the public. This old historic inn deserves better representation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
idaho falls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

First of all The Riverside Inn has NO air conditoning.... Its Lava HOT Springs come on people!!! We had 2 share a bathroom with people I did not know... If I'm going 2 spend 80 dollars a night give me my own bathroom please!!! I had no trash can or tv, if people are spending this much on rooms give them at least a trash can. So good luck with my babys diapers. I had a big hole in my screen so all night bugs were coming in. So basically this ruined my vacation this year 2 Lava... I was so happy 2 get out of there!!! people honestly dont go there and If u do I promise u will regret it!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Blackfoot
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We were there two very long days. Our first night there was made bearable by the cute little blonde bartender working. She was funny,attentive to our needs even going so far as to do the front desk girls job(she wouldn.t get up from behind the desk). She (the bartender0 even went into the kitchen and cooked for us when the kitchen staff decided they would close early.
The rooms were small, the hot pools not working .
properly,and the customer service from the front desk was deplorable /
Someone should teach these young people the definition of customer service and to speak proper english. A little lesson in fasion wouldn't hurt either.
The so called continental breakfast which was supposed to be put out by six a.m. wasen't SURPRISE, it was the same front desk girl, There were no clean towels or robes and it was an effort to get an answer to any of our questions.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riverside Hot Springs Inn? Share your experiences!