Our family rented the "apartment" for the weekend. I was under the impression that there were 2 bathrooms - it only had 1 and you had to get through it by walking through the bedroom. We had three children, 10, 11 and 13, with us and were immediately told upon check-in that they needed to be quiet (though they weren't making much noise), which we agreed to. They were charging us $10 extra/night due to one additional child. Dinner on the first night was relaxing by the river, however, the food took a long time and was warm, at best, though the servers were nice. The bedroom was very hot (no fan or air), only a window that barely opened but, if you left it open you could hear all of the people and smell cigarettes. The mattress in the main living area was so saggy in the middle that you could see the indentation through the bedding and the workers there have had many complaints throughout the YEARS and were aware of it, as was the owner, Gale. The workers felt that we should be compensated and they already knew the mattress should be replaced. There was no way two people could sleep on it so, eventually, I ended up on the "sofa sleeper" with two girls. The mattress for that was terrible, as well. The second day, we complained and were told that the workers would mention it to Gale and that we should really tell her when she comes in and maybe they could give us a separate room or free night stay, or something. Throughout that day, we tried several times to find her but she wouldn't come talk to us to see what she could do to rectify anything, even though we were told she was there at one time. At about 8:00 p.m., after we kept going to the "lobby" area throughout the day to see what was going to be done, we were asked if we thought the mattress would work by putting it on the floor, off of the springs. The mattress was so bad, there wasn't any way that was going to work. At around 10:00 p.m., we were brought a single person air mattress to put on the floor, a sheet, pillow and blanket. At around 11:00, other guests pushed the door open to our separate bedroom entry (the doors didn't latch tight) and came into the room. We screamed, they screamed, shut the door and they went across the hall to their room. While they were trying to open their door, there was a lightswitch on the opposite side of their door (down the hall from ours) that they started flipping. It started turning our lights on and off in our room! We couldn't believe it! The guests went back out for the evening, came back, and played with the light switch again, waking us up, even though I had opened our door the first time and they knew it was our light. Around midnight or so, the sink faucet started sounding like a very loud jackhammer. The water pressure was pushing the water in the pipes and we had to turn the main water line off under the sink. The stove was a fire hazard as one of the burners was broken but connected. Several lights were burned out. On the second (and last) morning, we awoke to find two extra food vouchers for breakfast (BIG DEAL!), especially since we didn't want to eat there! Gale never once contacted us or compensated us in any way and if I owned this business, I would maintain the facilities better, talk to my guests addressing any issues they may have and make some sort of mutually agreed upon compensation. Gale is totally lacking of respect and customer service and we're appalled at the way she chooses to run her business! We will never go there again! Run the other way!
Stay in a different hotel/motel/inn or even TENT!
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
January 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. On behalf of the entire staff, we are saddened that the guest room(s) you and your family stayed in were not a good experience for you.
Report response as inappropriate
I was not able to meet with you during your stay, as I was working the graveyard shift to cover for an employee that had a critical health issue and was in the hospital. However, working graveyard shift, I was well aware of the lady that accidently walked into your room. She was a bit tipsy and opened the door to your room that was left unlocked. Her door was the one next to yours and her judgement was a bit imparied. She was just as surprised as you were and was very apologetic for doing that - I had caught up to her just as she was closing your door. We have made a correction to the light switch so that it does not turn on in two locations - we take full responsibility for that issue. In addition, the mattress that you spoke of has been replaced.
Understanding from the correspondence that you left for me to review upon your departure, you own or manage an appliance or parts store of sorts and appliances are critical to you. We did have our maintenance department check all of the appliances in the apartment.
Sometimes an experience starts out on a bad foot and then negative experiences attract negative thoughts and experiences, until it is not reversible. Our sincerely apologies for your experience and will make all efforts to not have this happen in the future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.