“Didn't Live Up to All The Hype” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Missoula, Montana
“Didn't Live Up to All The Hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I had heard many people say this restaurant had the best food in Island Park, so we assumed it must be top notch, and it got some really great reviews. However, our meal was not that great, and for the price, actually very disappointing. The restaurant was busy, and it appeared there were only two waitresses, which may have been part of the problem, since it took over an hour for us to get our food, and when we did get it, it was cold. My husband felt that it had been left sitting on the pick up counter while our waitress was off doing other things, like tending to the bar patrons. (The bar and dining room are all in one large room, so the atmosphere was very noisy and more like a typical bar scene than the fine dining experience we were expecting)

My husband had the burger and fries, because he saw some coming to the nearby tables and they looked fabulous, and other people had also recommended the burger. I didn't taste it, but he told me the burger just tasted like any old burger and the fries were cold, so he didn't even eat them. (Personally I HATE cold french fries as they get all dried out and hard)

I ordered the rib eye steak because I love rib eye, and because it came with some interesting sounding sides. Unfortunately, the steak was not cooked the way I asked. I do like rare meat, but only on a cut that tends to be tough if over cooked. But, even though it was quite rare, this was the TOUGHEST piece of rib eye I have ever eaten, which made me wonder if it was even a rib eye at all. The side of grilled cauliflower was flavorless. The fried onions had been sitting so long they were tough and chewy.

If this is the best in Island Park, they need someone to kick it up a notch. Maybe they could get some cooking lessons in West Yellowstone, where there are several great places to eat. (We ate breakfast at Trouthunter the next morning since we had stayed the night in one of the rooms, and the breakfast was better, but nothing special.)

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pocatello
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Food is a 10! I dream of cooking as well as this! I have eaten dinner menu and sandwiches. Stop if you are in the area you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Strike two island Park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Maybe because it is the end of the season, but this is the second
Place in the area that seems over rated. Kitchen was slammed when we arrived. My fault, should have checked to see how
Many people eating vs. sitting with water. Took over half hour for food. When arrived BLT was a salted pork medium rare. Wife's pastrami was over grilled and dry. Did get comped a beer for waiting. No one once said they were sorry only that they were "busy".

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, Wyoming
“Great food and Great View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great food with a grand view off the back patio. Only downside is that there is not any trout on the menu. With a name like TroutHunter and a location beside the Henry's Fork, I was certainly expecting a least one trout dish to be available. Best food and value in the Island Park area. Be sure to check out the fly shop - a great group of guys with plenty of insight on the area.

Visited August 2012
Cary, North Carolina
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We spent a week in Island Park, ID; 4 days in Jackson,WY; and 4 days in West Yellowstone,MT. We ate dinner out every night and the food at TroutHunter was by far the best! We ate there several nights.

• Visited July 2012