“Arrogant and Rude staff with marginal food” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Arrogant and Rude staff with marginal food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

To be fair, I did not stay at the lodge, but I did eat in the restaurant and spent some time in the bar.

The food in the restaurant was marginal at best. The real problem was the attitude of the staff.

We were there with a large group and I guess the first indicator should have been the big bold letters on the menu "We will NOT split bills". Ok, not the end of the world, but come on. You are a little place that should be catering to peoples needs.

We were in the bar and our waitress offered to make a "reservation" for us at the restaurant. We weren't sure how long we would be there so we said we would wait. She said it would be better to make one and change it if need be because it gets really busy. So we made a reservation for 7:00. At about 6:45 we walked over and told them we were still having a drink and would like to change it to 7:30. I got a dirty look, but they made the change.

We walked next door (admittedly late) at 7:32. When I gave the gal our name she said, oh I was just cancelling your reservation because you changed it so many times. "So many times?" Once? and the place was 1/2 empty.

I was going to order fish but they told me it was frozen and reheated, so I got the salad with chicken. Keep in mind, this place is charging top end prices for their food. the chicken on my salad tasted like one of those pre-cooked chicken breasts from walmart.

The did not come back to fill our waters throughout the dinner. the greens in the salad were wilted. When I asked for extra dressing I got a look that could kill.

Well, after our disappointing dinner we went back to the bar. The gal behind the bar just cashed out a $300 for another customer and he only gave her a $2 tip. She was mad and vocalizing it. I was feeling bad for her and about to leave a nice tip ( like I did the first round ), but she had the nerve to say.... Maybe you should leave this open this time. I said, no thanks I like to pay as I go. She responded with "If you are going to have another round you need to leave it open". Fair enough, We didn't have another round.

Staff and owners need to really pay attention to customers and drop the attitude.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
islandparklodge, Owner at Island Park Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
I, Connie Funkhouser am so thankful that I was present during the entire time this reviewer was @ Island Park Lodge.
I was the individual taking names for reservations this particular evening. You gave us the name of Peacock, since you were trying to be so funny. Yes, you delayed your original reservation several times since your group was "enjoying" the "view" in the Bar. (Will not elaborate on the view in the Bar.) I was the one that retrieved your group from the Bar, and jokingly I said we thought we may need to give your table away to another group if you were not ready yet.
Maybe it was the cocktails, but . . . a few facts;
The Halibut arrives frozen, we thaw, then cook the Halibut. It is not reheated. we serve so much Halibut without complaint. Our chicken on the Grilled Chicken Salad is fresh baked pulled chicken. I do not allow process chicken in my business. Our salad mixture is freshly prepared several times a day. There is no way wilted lettuce will be served within my establishment.
We were packed this particular evening. Obviously you were not seeing correctly. We do have particular guidelines for requesting separate guest checks. All that you would of had to do was asked. Since we were so busy, I am sure that I would have been the one to come over to explain the details.
"If" your visit to Island Park Lodge was such a disaster, I am surprise that an individual such as yourself did not request to speak to the owner. I was certainly there and am always available.
Connie Funkhouser

76% Recommend
Bellvue, Colorado
“There are better alternatives”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Limited menu (and several items were not available), crowded, slow service. Will not eat there again.

Visited September 2013
Alta, Wyoming
“Great stop right off the highway...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We took a day trip from Driggs up to W. Yellowstone to see our new neighborhood we just moved to. We were going to eat in W. Yellowstone, but we weren't quite hungry enough yet as we turned around to head back home.

After looking up a few restaurants in Island Park on the Iphone, and finding them either closed permanently, or closed for the holiday weekend for vacation (really?!)... we stumbled upon the Island Park Lodge.

The place was inviting... nice log lodge, with an attached bar.. The interior was comfortable and enjoyable to relax in. Rustic, with a plethora of decorations. We we told to sit wherever we'd like, as the place was only about 1/4 full, but it was also only 6PM.

For dinner, I had the trout.. wife had the ribeye. Both were very good. Trout was big, pink and with some nice subtle seasonings, and cooked well. The ribeye was HUGE... and tasty, although a little on the fatty side.. but still not bad at all.

Both dinners came with choices.... we both had salad, baked potato and corn bread. All were good to very good.

Service was friendly and prompt... as by the time we were finished and set to leave, the place was about 3/4 full.

Overall, a very nice place for a hearty meal... would recommend if staying or driving thru the area.

I had the Michelada for a drink... which was excellent (a version of a red beer... clamato with bud light... but it was prepared more bloody mary like, with spicy seasonings and the olives, etc).

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Island Park, Idaho
“Chef prepares the way he likes it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Last year my husband and eight friends eat there for diner. My husband and several other people ordered prime rib. Two of them requested that they have their prime rib well done. The waitress informed them that the chef only cooks it medium rare and served at a certain temperature. He refused to cook it to their request. Needless to say that is not the way to run a restaurant. While I personally do not like well done, if that is the way the paying customer wants it, that is the way they will get it. Plus we were not happy about them not splitting the bill (they will not do that), even if the restaurant is half empty. We have been living here in the summer for 10 years and eat there many times for lunch. We will never go back there again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Island Park, Idaho
“Great staff and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Always good food, great staff and the outdoor patio is so welcoming and comfy. I think this should always be on the to-do lilst of anyone coming to Island Park.

Visited July 2013