“Great Western Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch
11077 East Blue Lake Road, Harrison, ID 83833   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cedar Grove
“Great Western Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My Husband, 12 year old daughter and I spent a week in July 2012 at Red Horse Mountain Ranch and we all agree it was our best vacation ever! We travelled there with another family from NC and shared the White Pines cabin, rustic luxury and a super view. The food all week was delicious, plentiful, and appealing to many different tastes -great salads available each meal, fabulous meats, vegetables, delicious deserts and bakery items galore. I know I gained a few pounds even though we were active all week. We rode horseback every day, and after testing for the advanced rides we enjoyed much more than typical "nose to tail". We have our own horses at home and ride often - this week of riding was not slow or dull, and the scenery and various riding locales made it very enjoyable even for experienced riders. We were torn every day between wanting to ride and all of the other activities offered - a challenge course with rock wall and zip line, etc, kayaking on near by Lake Coeur D'Alene, fishing, archery, sporting clays, mountain biking, hiking, yoga, massage, a lending library, and a swimming pool. We hardly had time to relax in the hot tubs or lounge on the porches with the gorgeous vistas of nearby mountains, yet there was no pressure to do any more or any less...... it was all "each to their own". Each evening had entertainment from live music to campfire story telling to karayoke, with s'mores or marshmallows plentiful. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful the whole staff was, from the kitchen staff to barn staff to room staff. Service was above and beyond -- laundry service that returned our clothes to our rooms, snacks and beverages available 24/7, tack changes if requested, free individual horseback riding lessons with experienced wranglers upon request, child care with advance notice, and more I am sure if any need arose. So much attention to detail made me feel very relaxed and cared for all week -- so taken care of with personal attention that I was spoiled rotten. I slept soundly after so much activity each day, in the quiet of the mountains with the windows open to cool night air. My daughter said she wanted to live there forever, high praise from a girl who usually wants to just stay home on our farm with her pets. And my husband, well he just said it was the best vacation of his life. We all three feel that we have friends in Idaho now, and we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

You will not be disappointed. Why? Because the staff go out of their way to make sure you'll have an amazing time. Great food, location is absolutely beautiful, activities are varied and many. You can choose to go to bed exhausted every night or just relax in the beautiful surroundings or somewhere in between. Cory, one of the owners, was around during our week and is very accessible and easy to talk to. You can't go wring here.

• Stayed August 2012
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just returned from our second visit to Red Horse Mountain Ranch. This year was even better than last! As soon as we arrived Jody greeted us by name and escorted us to our cabin. There were 7 of us who returned from the same week last year so we caught up with old friends as we made new ones. They even had a special morning ride for returning guests so we didn't have to go through the orientation for the first-timers.
The kitchen staff had remembered our dietary preferences and every meal had gluten-free options. Lauren (an extraordinary baker) even made some sugar-free/wheat-free treats for us. All of the food was amazing!!
There were new activities this year including a "mega-zip line" which we didn't try but those who did really enjoyed it. We rode horseback every morning, also kayaked, pontooned, biked, and shot sporting clays. The long-range rifle was once again one of my husband's favorites.
There were activities every evening - my favorite was the campfires. They even let my bring my guitar and jam with some of the staff.
I was hesitant to write this review because I don't want everybody to find out about this amazing retreat. Cory and his staff are absolutely the best! They all clearly love what they do and really want to make this a special visit for their guests.
Oh - and we are already booked for next year! Can't wait to see everyone again!!

Room Tip: Although we loved the cabin and the view from the back of Syringa cabin, the walls are not soundproo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Murphy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from a week long trip to Red Horse Mountain Ranch. The trip was absolutely perfect!

The setting is wonderful and breathtaking. Set in a valley among the mountains of Idaho, the ranch is peaceful and very well kept. The staff knew me by name within the first 24 hours and remembered little things about me...like a drink diet Coke in the morning instead of coffee! The wranglers and every one of the staff members were top notch...friendly, accomodating, personable, professional and entertaining.

As for things to do, the list is numerous. If you would like to stay busy every second of the day, you can do so by riding your horse, taking a horse back riding lesson, hiking, mountain biking, getting a massage, zip lining, kayaking, fishing, archery, long range shooting, and the list goes on and on. But, if you want to relax and take it all in, you can do that as well by the pool, in the hot tub, read in the library, etc... There is no pressure to do everything. It is a perfect place to go at your own pace. My husband stayed busy non-stop and I stayed busy and relaxed.

The best activity for me was the all day horse trail ride to the top of Huckleberry Mountain. The second best activity was the 14 mile bike ride along the Coeur d'Alene. I enjoyed shooting the sniper rifle and zip lining too!

The food was absolutely spectacular. Breakfast is made to order with a choice of homemade muffins and scones each morning. Lunch and dinner are buffet but I would call it more of a gourmet buffet. All freshly prepared and delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the wine dinner Friday evening. The staff went to great lengths to provide a steakhouse setting with the five course candlelit dinner. We were lucky enough to be there during the wine tasting week and enjoyed every minute of the daily happy hour before dinner. We enjoyed it because everyone was able to re-group at the end of the day and talk of their day. The other visitors were fabulous and we enjoyed everyone's company.

Okay....that should be enough to make you book your trip but wait...there's one more thing! They do your laundry!! We came home with a quarter of the dirty clothes than we were expecting. There is something to be said about coming home with clean laundry. Very very nice touch!

Cory and the entire staff run a well oiled machine at Red Horse Mountain. Nothing is missed and the attention to detail is unbelievable. Thanks to everyone! Best trip for us...and we travel a lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We just returned from a week at Red Horse - for the first time ever both our kids (9 and 5, girls) were in FLOODS of tears when we left. I can see why they get so many repeat bookings - we like going to different places every year and yet have already booked it for next summer! Can't recommend enough.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We just returned from Red Horse Mountain and everyone in my family (my husband and I and our sons aged 19 and 13 and daughter aged 17) had a great time. There are activities all day and night beginning with an early morning activity before breakfast such as a hike, bike ride, stretch class or fly fishing lesson. Then a delicious made-to-order breakfast followed by a morning activity such as a family ropes course challenge or horseback ride or fishing or kayaking. You can choose from about 6 activities that vary from day to day. Lunches are delicious and are followed by an afternoon activity. We loved archery, sporting clays, plinking and long distance shooting. My husband and sons went on extended fishing trips, sometimes in the morning and sometimes after dinner. There are also massages available and hot tubs and a pool for those who just want to hang out or relax. There is a mega zip line that ends up in the fishing pond which is perfect fun on a hot day. Dinner is amazing too. All of the baked goods are out of this world. In the evenings there are campfires or adult dinners or karaoke. A very nice variety of things to do, but you do get tuckered out since the next day you want to be up by 7:30 a.m. for the early morning activity. There weren't any other older teenagers the week that we went, but the families are all very interesting and my older kids enjoyed the younger kids and also speaking with the adults about their plans and dreams. We staying in Eagle's nest on the ground floor. The good thing about that was that it was cooler than being on the second floor. However, there were some other cabins that had better views looking toward the fishing pond, so you may want to ask about that when booking. The staff is great. My husband took the golf excursion and missed the archery activity with us, so the staff arranged a special unscheduled archery outing just for our family. The other guests were all wonderful to meet and dine with and enjoy the ranch with. Great trip.

Room Tip: If you are downstairs in a two story building, you will hear the guests upstairs walking around. If...
Plainview, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

There truly isnt enough room on this review to tell all the wonderful features of this ranch, but I will focus on the three most amazing features of this place:

The RHMR Staff - simply put....they are outstanding! They are kind, warm, friendly, knowledgeable and soo much fun!! They certainly go above and beyond their call of duty. My family on this trip included my mother of 69 years of age and by golly, she made sure she participated in 90% of the activities offered and the staff was soo helpful and patient with her. I cant thank them enough for their great work.

The location & activities - The ranch is breathtaking! pictures on the site are just a small view of the place. My husband and I spent morning and nights just staring out the front porch of our cabin soaking in the gorgeous mountain view and air! The sound of the horses in the morning to laughs & giggles of all the kids (adults too) at the campfire are just amazing. The activities here are endless and trust me, by the end of the day, you'll be tired and welcoming the supercomfy bed and puffy pillows!

The food - well, all i can say is that my family and I ate every meal as if it were out last!! the food is endless, soo fresh and delicious! The cooking staff at RHMR accomodate any and all menu specialities and dietary requests. We couldnt wait to get to the table for the meals and see what was on the menu! The breakfasts are just phenomenal! I could go on and on....

Overall, as the title states "The Ultimate Vacation" and so it was. We loved it soo much that we already booked for 2013!! Looking forward to seeing Cory, Jody, the entire staff, Hank (ranch dog) and all of the other super friendly dogs on the ranch.

Thank you RHMR for the best vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the White Pine Cabin and had an the best view of the mountains and the horses.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!