“Absolutely Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch
11077 East Blue Lake Road, Harrison, ID 83833   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Murphy, Texas
“Absolutely Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from a week long trip to Red Horse Mountain Ranch. The trip was absolutely perfect!

The setting is wonderful and breathtaking. Set in a valley among the mountains of Idaho, the ranch is peaceful and very well kept. The staff knew me by name within the first 24 hours and remembered little things about me...like a drink diet Coke in the morning instead of coffee! The wranglers and every one of the staff members were top notch...friendly, accomodating, personable, professional and entertaining.

As for things to do, the list is numerous. If you would like to stay busy every second of the day, you can do so by riding your horse, taking a horse back riding lesson, hiking, mountain biking, getting a massage, zip lining, kayaking, fishing, archery, long range shooting, and the list goes on and on. But, if you want to relax and take it all in, you can do that as well by the pool, in the hot tub, read in the library, etc... There is no pressure to do everything. It is a perfect place to go at your own pace. My husband stayed busy non-stop and I stayed busy and relaxed.

The best activity for me was the all day horse trail ride to the top of Huckleberry Mountain. The second best activity was the 14 mile bike ride along the Coeur d'Alene. I enjoyed shooting the sniper rifle and zip lining too!

The food was absolutely spectacular. Breakfast is made to order with a choice of homemade muffins and scones each morning. Lunch and dinner are buffet but I would call it more of a gourmet buffet. All freshly prepared and delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the wine dinner Friday evening. The staff went to great lengths to provide a steakhouse setting with the five course candlelit dinner. We were lucky enough to be there during the wine tasting week and enjoyed every minute of the daily happy hour before dinner. We enjoyed it because everyone was able to re-group at the end of the day and talk of their day. The other visitors were fabulous and we enjoyed everyone's company.

Okay....that should be enough to make you book your trip but wait...there's one more thing! They do your laundry!! We came home with a quarter of the dirty clothes than we were expecting. There is something to be said about coming home with clean laundry. Very very nice touch!

Cory and the entire staff run a well oiled machine at Red Horse Mountain. Nothing is missed and the attention to detail is unbelievable. Thanks to everyone! Best trip for us...and we travel a lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We just returned from a week at Red Horse - for the first time ever both our kids (9 and 5, girls) were in FLOODS of tears when we left. I can see why they get so many repeat bookings - we like going to different places every year and yet have already booked it for next summer! Can't recommend enough.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We just returned from Red Horse Mountain and everyone in my family (my husband and I and our sons aged 19 and 13 and daughter aged 17) had a great time. There are activities all day and night beginning with an early morning activity before breakfast such as a hike, bike ride, stretch class or fly fishing lesson. Then a delicious made-to-order breakfast followed by a morning activity such as a family ropes course challenge or horseback ride or fishing or kayaking. You can choose from about 6 activities that vary from day to day. Lunches are delicious and are followed by an afternoon activity. We loved archery, sporting clays, plinking and long distance shooting. My husband and sons went on extended fishing trips, sometimes in the morning and sometimes after dinner. There are also massages available and hot tubs and a pool for those who just want to hang out or relax. There is a mega zip line that ends up in the fishing pond which is perfect fun on a hot day. Dinner is amazing too. All of the baked goods are out of this world. In the evenings there are campfires or adult dinners or karaoke. A very nice variety of things to do, but you do get tuckered out since the next day you want to be up by 7:30 a.m. for the early morning activity. There weren't any other older teenagers the week that we went, but the families are all very interesting and my older kids enjoyed the younger kids and also speaking with the adults about their plans and dreams. We staying in Eagle's nest on the ground floor. The good thing about that was that it was cooler than being on the second floor. However, there were some other cabins that had better views looking toward the fishing pond, so you may want to ask about that when booking. The staff is great. My husband took the golf excursion and missed the archery activity with us, so the staff arranged a special unscheduled archery outing just for our family. The other guests were all wonderful to meet and dine with and enjoy the ranch with. Great trip.

Room Tip: If you are downstairs in a two story building, you will hear the guests upstairs walking around. If...
Plainview, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

There truly isnt enough room on this review to tell all the wonderful features of this ranch, but I will focus on the three most amazing features of this place:

The RHMR Staff - simply put....they are outstanding! They are kind, warm, friendly, knowledgeable and soo much fun!! They certainly go above and beyond their call of duty. My family on this trip included my mother of 69 years of age and by golly, she made sure she participated in 90% of the activities offered and the staff was soo helpful and patient with her. I cant thank them enough for their great work.

The location & activities - The ranch is breathtaking! pictures on the site are just a small view of the place. My husband and I spent morning and nights just staring out the front porch of our cabin soaking in the gorgeous mountain view and air! The sound of the horses in the morning to laughs & giggles of all the kids (adults too) at the campfire are just amazing. The activities here are endless and trust me, by the end of the day, you'll be tired and welcoming the supercomfy bed and puffy pillows!

The food - well, all i can say is that my family and I ate every meal as if it were out last!! the food is endless, soo fresh and delicious! The cooking staff at RHMR accomodate any and all menu specialities and dietary requests. We couldnt wait to get to the table for the meals and see what was on the menu! The breakfasts are just phenomenal! I could go on and on....

Overall, as the title states "The Ultimate Vacation" and so it was. We loved it soo much that we already booked for 2013!! Looking forward to seeing Cory, Jody, the entire staff, Hank (ranch dog) and all of the other super friendly dogs on the ranch.

Thank you RHMR for the best vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the White Pine Cabin and had an the best view of the mountains and the horses.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A great, well rounded dude ranch experience that can accomodate varied interests, even those outside the standard fishing and horseback riding one would expect from a top ranch vacation. We've been to two other ranches and this is the best we have experienced.

We travelled with four other families, all of whom have kids. Twelve kids in total, 10 kids ages 3-9, plus two toddlers. It was difficult to find a destination that met all our needs which included wanting:

1) A kids program that included three year olds
2) Horseback riding that allowed riders to truly run the horses
3) Low altitude (RHMR sits at 2500 ft)
4) A variety of activities for those that didn't love to ride horses
5) Access to bodies of water (Lake Couer D'Alene is beautiful)

For those of us who had toddlers we either had a grandparent or nanny with us (which was great because it enabled us to partake in all the fun). Cory, the ranch manager, is truly looking to please. Almost all requests were answered with a yes ranging from extra fishing and biking trips added to the week to accomodate our group, to the sleeping bags and mats that were delivered to our cabin when we mentioned that several of the boys wanted to sleep outdoors one night (they even remembered to turn off the sprinklers). We look forward to returning in future years!!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

What an amazing trip! We could have asked for a better experience full of fun for our whole family!
It is hard to list what was best... We really did love everything! My husband and three kids all had a great time and enjoyed riding the horses and all of the activities. The setting is beautiful and provides for great sight seeing when horseback riding.
The food was delicious and they did a great job catering to me being a vegetarian.
We loved our cabin. It was spacious, clean and the beds were extremely comfortable.
It was the perfect balance of planned activities and enough down time to never feel rushed or over scheduled.
They have the week definitely figured out and there is something different, fun and exciting planned for each day and evening.
I think I could write forever, but the greatest testament of how great of an experience that we had, is that we are already booked for next year.
If you are thinking about going, I wouldn't wait to make a reservation, I know spots are filling up quickly. Maybe we will see you there :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family spent a wonderful week at Red Horse Mountain Ranch. We've never done an all-inclusive resort or a dude ranch before, but it was a delightful experience for these reasons:

Safety: I was amazed and gratified to learn that the staff undergo a rigorous certification process before guests show up. In addition to being highly skilled around horses, staff members take a wilderness emergency preparedeness course from the National Outdoor Leadership School, and they receive certification from the Association for Challenge Course Technology, among other training. Every activity included a short but smart discussion about saftey rules, and I noticed the staff were on the look out for any behaviors that might result in injury. It was comforting to me, as we tried some new activities, including some with guns, that put me way out of my comfort zone.

Variety: My family has never been horseback riding, and the ranch provided a wonderful orientation for both adults and kids. Throughout the week you had the choice to take lessons or go on scenic or more advanced rides. But riding was only one part of what was offerered. My husband went on a guided river fishing trip, and my son went on a half-day fishing trip on Coeur d'Alene lake. We also spent a day on their exciting and well-named Challenge course, which includes a climbing wall, a zipline, and other activities that make you feel like you could join a circus. A number of activities offered a bit of a different twist (I won't spoil the suprise), such as the 3D archery and the mega-zipline (separate from the Challenge Course).

Easy daily rhythm: I liked the combination of activities and rest time. Each day there was a fitness hike, mountain bike, or yoga session before breakfast. After breakdfast (served 7:30 to 9)there was a morning session of activities (typically 9:30 to 11:30), followed by lunch at 12 noon, and then an afternoon session (1:30 to 4:30). Happy Hour was at 5 and a buffet dinner served at 6. We all had plenty of opportunity to read or nap, as well as play outdoors at the fishing pond or the swimming pool.

Accomodations and food: We stayed in the Syringa cabin, which was near the main lodge. It was quiet and peaceful, with a king-sized bed downstairs and a queen-sized bed upstairs, a mini-fridge, and microwave. The cabin was rustic, but all our needs were met. There was daily housekeeping and laundry service twice during the week, very welcome indeed because the ranch is pretty dusty and dry. Breakfasts included a buffet of yogurts, fruit, cereal, and a heavenly homemade muffin or pastry. You could also order eggs any style, french toast, pancakes, bacon and sausage. Lunch and dinner were all buffet and the quantity, quality, and variety were wonderful. All food needs were met, including allergies. In between meals there were always snacks available, and the bar offered access to cold drinks all day and night. In the evenings there was often a campfire with marshmallows.

Staff: What a talented, kind, and thoughtful crew. Every single person, from wranglers, to housekeepers, to kitchen crew, was always on the lookout for ways to make your stay special. I personally appreciated how patient and encouraging staff members were as I struggled my way through the climbing wall and mountain biking. I thought they had a wonderful way with kids as well.

Our visit met my needs for a relaxing vacation where I didn't need to cook, clean, or make decisions beyond what activity to try next. And while I thought I'd feel claustrophobic staying at one place the entire week, there were too many different activities available that kept boredom at bay. The other guests were from all over the country and Europe, and it was fun to get to know them during the week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!