A great, well rounded dude ranch experience that can accomodate varied interests, even those outside the standard fishing and horseback riding one would expect from a top ranch vacation. We've been to two other ranches and this is the best we have experienced.
We travelled with four other families, all of whom have kids. Twelve kids in total, 10 kids ages 3-9, plus two toddlers. It was difficult to find a destination that met all our needs which included wanting:
1) A kids program that included three year olds
2) Horseback riding that allowed riders to truly run the horses
3) Low altitude (RHMR sits at 2500 ft)
4) A variety of activities for those that didn't love to ride horses
5) Access to bodies of water (Lake Couer D'Alene is beautiful)
For those of us who had toddlers we either had a grandparent or nanny with us (which was great because it enabled us to partake in all the fun). Cory, the ranch manager, is truly looking to please. Almost all requests were answered with a yes ranging from extra fishing and biking trips added to the week to accomodate our group, to the sleeping bags and mats that were delivered to our cabin when we mentioned that several of the boys wanted to sleep outdoors one night (they even remembered to turn off the sprinklers). We look forward to returning in future years!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Red Horse Mountain Ranch is a family dude ranch, vacation getaway, and retreat on nearly 300,000 acres tucked away in Rocky Mountains near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Since 1947, the ranch has had a rich history of dude ranching in Idaho and the same traditions of the Western experience live today. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch Hotel Harrison
- Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch Harrison, Idaho