“Family trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch
You added Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch to your Saves list
11077 East Blue Lake Road, Harrison, ID 83833   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Family trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A great, well rounded dude ranch experience that can accomodate varied interests, even those outside the standard fishing and horseback riding one would expect from a top ranch vacation. We've been to two other ranches and this is the best we have experienced.

We travelled with four other families, all of whom have kids. Twelve kids in total, 10 kids ages 3-9, plus two toddlers. It was difficult to find a destination that met all our needs which included wanting:

1) A kids program that included three year olds
2) Horseback riding that allowed riders to truly run the horses
3) Low altitude (RHMR sits at 2500 ft)
4) A variety of activities for those that didn't love to ride horses
5) Access to bodies of water (Lake Couer D'Alene is beautiful)

For those of us who had toddlers we either had a grandparent or nanny with us (which was great because it enabled us to partake in all the fun). Cory, the ranch manager, is truly looking to please. Almost all requests were answered with a yes ranging from extra fishing and biking trips added to the week to accomodate our group, to the sleeping bags and mats that were delivered to our cabin when we mentioned that several of the boys wanted to sleep outdoors one night (they even remembered to turn off the sprinklers). We look forward to returning in future years!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

What an amazing trip! We could have asked for a better experience full of fun for our whole family!
It is hard to list what was best... We really did love everything! My husband and three kids all had a great time and enjoyed riding the horses and all of the activities. The setting is beautiful and provides for great sight seeing when horseback riding.
The food was delicious and they did a great job catering to me being a vegetarian.
We loved our cabin. It was spacious, clean and the beds were extremely comfortable.
It was the perfect balance of planned activities and enough down time to never feel rushed or over scheduled.
They have the week definitely figured out and there is something different, fun and exciting planned for each day and evening.
I think I could write forever, but the greatest testament of how great of an experience that we had, is that we are already booked for next year.
If you are thinking about going, I wouldn't wait to make a reservation, I know spots are filling up quickly. Maybe we will see you there :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family spent a wonderful week at Red Horse Mountain Ranch. We've never done an all-inclusive resort or a dude ranch before, but it was a delightful experience for these reasons:

Safety: I was amazed and gratified to learn that the staff undergo a rigorous certification process before guests show up. In addition to being highly skilled around horses, staff members take a wilderness emergency preparedeness course from the National Outdoor Leadership School, and they receive certification from the Association for Challenge Course Technology, among other training. Every activity included a short but smart discussion about saftey rules, and I noticed the staff were on the look out for any behaviors that might result in injury. It was comforting to me, as we tried some new activities, including some with guns, that put me way out of my comfort zone.

Variety: My family has never been horseback riding, and the ranch provided a wonderful orientation for both adults and kids. Throughout the week you had the choice to take lessons or go on scenic or more advanced rides. But riding was only one part of what was offerered. My husband went on a guided river fishing trip, and my son went on a half-day fishing trip on Coeur d'Alene lake. We also spent a day on their exciting and well-named Challenge course, which includes a climbing wall, a zipline, and other activities that make you feel like you could join a circus. A number of activities offered a bit of a different twist (I won't spoil the suprise), such as the 3D archery and the mega-zipline (separate from the Challenge Course).

Easy daily rhythm: I liked the combination of activities and rest time. Each day there was a fitness hike, mountain bike, or yoga session before breakfast. After breakdfast (served 7:30 to 9)there was a morning session of activities (typically 9:30 to 11:30), followed by lunch at 12 noon, and then an afternoon session (1:30 to 4:30). Happy Hour was at 5 and a buffet dinner served at 6. We all had plenty of opportunity to read or nap, as well as play outdoors at the fishing pond or the swimming pool.

Accomodations and food: We stayed in the Syringa cabin, which was near the main lodge. It was quiet and peaceful, with a king-sized bed downstairs and a queen-sized bed upstairs, a mini-fridge, and microwave. The cabin was rustic, but all our needs were met. There was daily housekeeping and laundry service twice during the week, very welcome indeed because the ranch is pretty dusty and dry. Breakfasts included a buffet of yogurts, fruit, cereal, and a heavenly homemade muffin or pastry. You could also order eggs any style, french toast, pancakes, bacon and sausage. Lunch and dinner were all buffet and the quantity, quality, and variety were wonderful. All food needs were met, including allergies. In between meals there were always snacks available, and the bar offered access to cold drinks all day and night. In the evenings there was often a campfire with marshmallows.

Staff: What a talented, kind, and thoughtful crew. Every single person, from wranglers, to housekeepers, to kitchen crew, was always on the lookout for ways to make your stay special. I personally appreciated how patient and encouraging staff members were as I struggled my way through the climbing wall and mountain biking. I thought they had a wonderful way with kids as well.

Our visit met my needs for a relaxing vacation where I didn't need to cook, clean, or make decisions beyond what activity to try next. And while I thought I'd feel claustrophobic staying at one place the entire week, there were too many different activities available that kept boredom at bay. The other guests were from all over the country and Europe, and it was fun to get to know them during the week.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

This place is one if the best, if not THE best family vacation we have ever been on! The scenery, activities, staff, food, everything was exactly what we needed. They were able to keep our horse-loving 6yr old daughter happy at the same time as our non-horse loving 8yr old son. Miracle! Plus my husband was off mounting biking with a new group of friends we met here several days which made him happy as a clam too! I was just thrilled that I could watch my kids be so independent (usually they do not leave our side) and try new things and love every one they tried. I never realized how much my my daughter would love zip-lining or my son would like plinking. Awesome. I personally could not get enough of the scenery. Just sitting on the porch with my coffee in the morning looking down at the gorgeous stables and mountains was so peaceful. For you photo enthusiasts this place is a photography gold mine. I have amazing pictures all over my house now for all my friends to enjoy. The schedule is great because you can be as busy or relaxed as you want and there was always enough room for everyone in the activities. We all loved the food too! It was so family oriented to be able to have all three meals with your family sitting at an actual table with your new friends or enjoying some alone time. No TV, video games, cell phones (Wifi is avil in the Lodge if you need to check email) or anything getting in the way of actually talking about what we have done that day or want to do.

Bottom line - just GO already! You will be SO glad you did. :)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We took a family reunion.
Every adult and child (all ten of us) raved about the time at RHMR, saying it was the best vacation they had ever had.
There are activities for everyone - from having your own horse for a week, to fly fishing, to crafts, to kayaking, to trap shooting, to mountain biking, . . .
Food was amazingly good. We have a food allergy. RHMR made sure that item was not served for the entire week, even at the gourmet dinner.
Accommodations were clean and comfortable. The beds were just right.
The staff were outstanding in trying to help the guests.
The other guests were friendly and interesting, and from multiple locations
What's not to like?

Room Tip: If you have a family of 10 - try to reserve the Hilltop House. It is about a tenth of a mile away f...
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family of 5 just returned from a vacation to Red Horse Mountain Ranch. We had been planning this trip which included a visit to Yellowstone for about a year. I can't say enough good things about the staff at the ranch. It's really evident that they love their job. The horseback riding was great. My wife and I were content to only do scenic riding for the week but my daughter was intent on doing a more advanced ride. The wranglers worked diligently with her throughout the week until she was able to do the advanced rides and she was thrilled. One of my other daughters enjoyed the kids program and new friends she made so much that she cried when it was time for us to leave. It was great to meet the other guests adn get to know people from across the country. The food was plentiful and excellent. There were also numerous healthy choices which we appreciated very much. Our family of 5 had the bottom level of the Eagles Nest cabin which was 2 bedrooms. The room was very clean and well stocked. The beds were super comfortable. It seemed from talking to the guests that all the cabins were very comfortable, although the hilltop cabin was further away than the others.

The activities at the ranch were great. We tried to do as much as possible and enjoyed every activity. I practically had to pull my daughter off the challenge course. As you can tell, I thought this was a great vacation and would recommend it if you are looking for a great family trip that allows you to spend active time with your family and also alone with your spouse.

East Lyme, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Finding Red Horse Mountain Ranch simply via Google had us asking, "how do we know who they are?" That being said, through continued research we found that RHMR was rated among the very top dude ranches in the US, and emails to the Ranch were immediately and effectively answered. Having never been to a dude ranch it was difficult to know what our expectations were. Whatever they might have been, Red Horse Mountain Ranch staff, offerings, and property FAR exceeded any we might have had. My 17 year old daughter and I arrived, were greeted and shown around by wonderfully welcoming staff, and settled in to completely comfortable cabin accommodations. As that first day and the following week unfolded, a near-perfect week came to be. Activities are family-friendly, with offerings appropriate to all levels of adventure and spirit; you can choose to be as busy and challenged or not as you want. The guest drives the experience. The physical property is gorgeous, the animals are so well cared for, the staff is ultra-accommodating and professional, the food is fabulous. What we hadn't expected is that this turned out to be truly the best vacation experience of our lives so far and we were sad to say good bye. I would very highly recommend Red Horse Mountain Ranch as a vacation destination! Deb Brunetti, Connecticut

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!