“Not what we expected” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Elk City Hotel

Elk City Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elk City
Elk City Hotel
You added Elk City Hotel to your Saves list
289 Main Street, Elk City, ID 83525   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Elk City B&B and Inns
The NW
“Not what we expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

First of all, this is NOT a Bed and Breakfast. It's a motel. An old, run down, rickety building. If they offered breakfast, I did not see it or hear of it.

The issues:

The shower was filthy and covered in black mold/mildew. Never have I seen a motel with such a filthy shower. Trust me, I have stayed in some dirty motels, in my life, and this one beats them all! I should have taken a picture to back up my claim, but to be honest, I was too embarrassed to have proof we actually spent the night in this place.

The sofa, in the "living room" was faded and old. Not a charming antique, at all. It's the kind of thing you'd see at a second hand store...and ask them to pay you to haul it to the dump. I was afraid to sit on it, I kept thinking about how many other people had sat on it, in the last 50+ years, without it being cleaned.

The kitchen was very dated. A refrigerator that did not keep anything cold and a stove so old I haven't seen one like it in decades. Since I couldn't use the shower to clean up, I used the kitchen sink to wash my hair. In other words, I used a plastic cup to dump luke warm water on my head while trying not to look around the edges of the sink or the bottom of the faucet.

There was a hole in the wall, large enough for critters to come through. I don't know if there were critters in the place, but I do know I woke up no less than 20 times to look at the hole in the wall--just to make sure no critters were peeking through the hole at me.

No TV reception. Every channel was fuzzy, except for one and it offered a never ending infomercial.

Wooden staircase and deck seemed "spongy."

Poor lighting outside rooms. I am glad I travel with an emergency flashlight or we might not have been able to find our room, in the dark.

The entire building seemed to be leaning to one side. I got the feeling if I dropped a marble it would zoom across the floor.

Parking was a free for all. It was a small patch of gravel between "museum"(gift shop) and the motel. If one person parks wonky, then everyone else has to find a way to squeeze in around the one oddly parked car.

I could go on and on...

The good:

The lady running the place seemed nice and friendly.

The sheets, on the bed, appeared clean and of decent quality. This is the only reason we didn't leave and drive all night. The sheets appeared clean enough. We didn't walk barefoot and papered the toilet seat before sitting down, but the sheets were clean!

The sunrise was lovely and helped me overcome the nightmare of the previous night.

To sum up:

The remodeled rooms, on the website, are not representative of the entire property. Our room looked nothing like what the website offers. I would have loved to stay in one of those rooms, at least I would have been getting what I expected. I knew it was going to be old and a bit dated, I just didn't expect the hole in the wall, mildew in the bathroom and a refrigerator that couldn't even keep a bottle of water cold.

It's the only motel, in the area, and appears busy enough to stay in business. I felt the price we paid was far too much considering the quality (or lack thereof) of the room. I love an old historical building, I expect some issues when staying in an older property, I just didn't anticipate this. Sleeping in my car, next to a busy highway, would have been more comfortable.

If you MUST stay in Elk City and choose this motel, then please check the condition of the room before you agree to pay. If you get one of the decent rooms, good for you. If you are offered a room like we stayed in--run away!

If we had not arrived so late, we would have demanded a different room or refused to stay there. By the time we got there, we had already been charged for the room, it was dark out, there was nobody to speak to about the room and it was in the middle of nowhere. No cell phone service or internet so no way to find alternate accommodations without driving all night.

I would not recommend this "hotel" to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms EXACTLY like the pictures on the website or find another place to stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ElkCityManager, Manager at Elk City Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Someone who has stayed at the hotel many times alerted me to this review on this site. I did not know that it existed until recently (May 2013) and would have addressed it before now.
I am sorry that the unidentified person who wrote this review had a less than perfect stay. If he/she would have called while he/she was here, we would have tried to rectify/address the situation. There are telephones in the rooms and local calls are free. Apparently they arrived late so the room may have been left unlocked for them. I reviewed our records for last July for that room and it was occupied on 3 separate occasions, days on which most, if not all, the other rooms appeared full.
We are a small hotel in the mountains surrounded by wilderness, just 12 rooms, and have been renovating the rooms as we could afford it. 7 of our 12 rooms have been remodeled. We once listed our Victorian Room as a B&B, not the other ones, but our restaurant closed and we have not advertised it as such for several years. There may be old listings out there somewhere.
I will take this opportunity to address specifics of what your concerns were in regards to this room as we take great care in cleanliness. The room you are referencing is one of the larger rooms that have not been remodeled:
1. The “shower was filthy and covered in black mold/mildew”. The shower in that room is metal with painted sides and a rock/cement bottom. I don’t know if you just glanced at it and saw “black”. If you would have looked closely, you would have seen that it wasn’t mold. The metal sides are attached to the rock foundation with a black caulking. You may have seen “black” but it was not mold or mildew. We take considerable effort and pride on keeping things clean. All of the shower bottoms get sprayed with an anti-mold product.
2. The “sofa in the living room was faded and old. Not a charming antique at all.” The web site does not claim to have antiques in every room. We are a small enterprise and must make due with older furniture but keep them clean. We replace them as we can. I’m not sure what you consider “old and faded” but it is not old and it is not faded or dirty. If you were “afraid to sit on it” there were clean blankets in the drawers in the bedroom which could have been used to cover it.
3. “The kitchen was very dated. A refrigerator that did not keep anything cold and a stove so old…” Yes, the kitchens have older style appliances, but they are clean and work. The refrigerators are kept on low when the room is not occupied to save on electricity. The knob controlling the temperature inside the refrigerator could have been turned up to make it colder.
4. “There was a hole in the wall, large enough for critters to come through”. This hole was not in the wall but in the cabinet under the stove and was a machined hole about 2” in diameter for a purpose that is now not needed. Since it was not in an outside wall, no critters could get through especially since this room is on the second story.
5. “No TV reception”. We have DishTV. There may have been a problem with the satellite reception, as that happens; or, there may have been a problem with the TV itself but we were not aware of it or had we been informed by any other guests. Sorry!
6. “Entire building seemed to be leaning to one side”. The building is not visibly leaning or otherwise. Yes, it does need a coat of paint though. It was built in 1986 (see photo).
7. Poor lighting on the outside. True, we were experimenting with solar lighting but found out that it did not provide enough light, although all of the rooms have a porch light at the door which illuminates the walkway. We are working on this.
8. Yes, we do have a small parking lot but most of the time our guests are considerate of each other.
Since you made no attempt to contact us either at the time or since then, we could not address your concerns.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips

Been to Elk City Hotel? Share your experiences!