“Don't expect much” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Bremerton, Washington
“Don't expect much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Cleanliness is not in the vocabulary here. Skip this place unless you really have no other option. That may sound harsh but it's dirty, the carpet disgustingly so - same for the tub and shower. They have comforters on the beds that have to be from the sixties or seventies. One bed has laundered sheets but with very awful staining all down the middle. Yuk! If I hadn't booked non-refundable, same day due to not knowing how far I'd make it today, I'd be gone. Bye bye Shilo Inn & Suites forever.

• Stayed September 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Bobiluguru,

Thank you for taking the time to write an online review regarding your recent stay with us. I do sincerely apologize that your room was not up to ours or your standards. I can assure you as one of the new managers here at the Coeur d’Alene property we will be making a lot of changes to improve the standard of cleanliness here at this property. We are in the middle of re-training all our staff so that they are properly trained on cleanliness. We have only been here less than a week but we are working hard with our staff to make sure our guest satisfaction is 100%. I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with our hotel if you would like to contact me directly. Again I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience. I do hope that you will allow Shilo Inns another chance to accommodate you during your future travels.

Joyce Hubble

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at the Shilou Inn in Coeur D'Alene Idaho from August 18th-August 22nd on a family fun vacation to SilverWood Theme Park. Our family travels extensively and have enjoyed all of the places we have visited. This was our second visit to Coeur D'Alene Idaho and had stayed at another hotel in Spokane Washington the previous year and had an excellent experience. We booked our vacation through Hotwire and were a little leery of the hotel's comments on Trip Advisor, however decided to make the best of it because sometimes have found some of the comments slightly picky.

It took us about 8 hours to drive to Idaho from Vancouver British Columbia so needless to say the kids where slightly restless being in car for so long. When we arrived, there were two families in front of us and we waited patiently for 45 minutes (I understand sometimes issues with other people's rooms can come up). The lady at the front desk was friendly and we requested for a room that was not pet friendly because my husband is allergic to pets. She told us she would put us up on the 4th floor because they don't allow pets up there which was great. When we arrived in the room there was only one king bed. So I went back downstairs I waited again patiently in the line up to ask for a room with 2 beds because that is what I booked through Hotwire. Another 20 minutes went by this time with very rambunctious children running around.

When we got in the room, the room looked like it was in need of renovations but I said "as long as it is clean, it's fine with me." I usually always pull the comforter down because in some hotels they are not always cleaned and to our horror found clumps of hair and an overwhelming amount of food crumbs under the comforter. This time, my husband went down to the front desk to request new sheets. The man who came to our room gave us new sheets and was very nice. We went out for dinner that evening almost 2 hours after checking in and both keypads didn't work when we got back to our room, so again waited at the front desk for new keys. I had a shower that evening to discover a blood stained towel. Again we never complained, there where only 3 towels given to us the entire stay daily so our family shared two towels the first night.

That night tired from the long drive, the alarm in our room was set and went off at 1:00am to what sounded like heavy metal music blasted as loud as it could go. My husband woke up in such a panic that he said whats next the roof is going to cave in? I don't blame the hotel for this because people that previously stayed could have done this by accident. However the next morning at 7:00am I leapt out of bed because someone was banging on the door. The housekeeper said " oh nobody is supposed to be in this room,". I simply pointed to the do not disturb sign on the door. This happened the 3rd morning AGAIN at 7:00am. Housekeeping banging on the door with the do not disturb sign on the door.

For the next 2 days we had ice cold showers and all you could hear coming from our room was my 5 and 6 year old screaming and shivering about the showers. I saw a lady in the elevator with her towel and toiletries and she asked me " did you guys have any hot water?" I said we haven't had any for 2 days! She said she had friends on the 2nd floor that have some and she was going down there to shower. I got smart by the 3rd day and after a long day at Silverwood, decided that we all shower in the evening because there seemed to be hot water at night. Again never complained.

By the last day when it was time to check out I stood there with the keys for about 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge me and the lady at the front desk said just leave them here. She never asked me how my stay was. Probably because people complain to her all the time. So our family laughed about this in the car explaining that this by far has to be the worst experience we have EVER had in a hotel before. I would have never written a letter about this until I just received a charge from Shilou Inn on our credit card for $321.41. When I phoned I was put on hold for 20 minutes and no one could seem to explain what the charge was. I quickly phoned Hotwire and they were able to rectify it promptly. The hotel was already paid for way in advance by Hotwire so it is still a mystery what the charge was.

I got a refund of $298.08 and my credit card was charged $321.41. There is a Canadian exchange rate so I want to make sure my credit card is refunded the full amount. I have phoned the hotel as well at my expense with the long distance charges. I am thoroughly disappointed with the Shilou Inns and would be very hesitant to book with the Shilou Inn chain ever again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Eureka, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hung out longer than expected in Coeur d' Alene enjoying the lakeside community in really nice weather and as evening was fell we looked for an inexpensive place to stay. All the hotel around the lake had no vacancies because of several conventions and wedding so we called the Shilo Inn a few miles away. Was able to secure a non smoking room w/ 2 beds for a little over $100. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly but the hotel is dated, the carpets are buckled in the halls and the rooms are noisy. For an hour we had a family's kids jumping up and down and running around in the room directly above us. Eventually if did stop but it was annoying. The freeway runs next to the hotel and you hear traffic noise all night. The air conditioner works but cycled on and off so much we turned it off. All of this was tolerable but there was an odor throughout the hotel which smelled like wet carpets that had not dried out properly and had a "locker room" kind of smell.
The offered a free breakfast which is OK. All in all our stay w/ Shilo was just OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gravette, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for the Ritz, keep driving. If you are looking for an affordable room that is clean and in a decent part of town, Shilo will fit the bill. Room was huge with a mini kitchen area. Furnishings and decor are dated but I have stayed in much worse for a lot more money.

• Stayed September 2013
Canby. or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was older and in need of some upgrades. The lobby and continental breakfast were fine, but the room was not only shabby, but dirty. Further, housekeeping failed to make the bed, nor replace the coffee, soaps or shampoo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Unfortunately, this place had the very last room available on this particular Saturday...and I can see why. Very old and run down. Hair found in the shower stall, which was the tiniest shower stall I think I've ever seen in a motel/hotel. We found a poor child's stuffed animal on the floor next to the sofa; does that tell you how well housekeeping cleaned? This was a suite which did not justify the $200/night charge. The red heart shaped tub was rather tacky. In the morning, at 9:30am, they were out of waffle batter and also out of batter for the pancake machine, so we left for Shari's down the street. Amazingly, the beds and pillows were comfortable, the room quiet and the registration person was very pleasant, quick, efficient and polite. She had the roll-away bed in our room before we had hauled up our luggage. And when we called for additional towels, blanket and sheet, she brought them up in just a couple of minutes! So I guess it was a mixed stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for work back in August. Not much was available within Per Diem Rates so we booked at the Shilo Inn. The hotel itself shows its age, definitely could use an update. However, because this was business and I spent 14 hours on average working, it was fine for a daily swim and workout, then crashing till the morning. Breakfast was also just OK, but its free. They also have a hot tub, steam room and sauna, which was a nice plus at the end of a rough day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene? Share your experiences!