“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Eureka, California
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hung out longer than expected in Coeur d' Alene enjoying the lakeside community in really nice weather and as evening was fell we looked for an inexpensive place to stay. All the hotel around the lake had no vacancies because of several conventions and wedding so we called the Shilo Inn a few miles away. Was able to secure a non smoking room w/ 2 beds for a little over $100. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly but the hotel is dated, the carpets are buckled in the halls and the rooms are noisy. For an hour we had a family's kids jumping up and down and running around in the room directly above us. Eventually if did stop but it was annoying. The freeway runs next to the hotel and you hear traffic noise all night. The air conditioner works but cycled on and off so much we turned it off. All of this was tolerable but there was an odor throughout the hotel which smelled like wet carpets that had not dried out properly and had a "locker room" kind of smell.
The offered a free breakfast which is OK. All in all our stay w/ Shilo was just OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Gravette, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for the Ritz, keep driving. If you are looking for an affordable room that is clean and in a decent part of town, Shilo will fit the bill. Room was huge with a mini kitchen area. Furnishings and decor are dated but I have stayed in much worse for a lot more money.

• Stayed September 2013
Canby. or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was older and in need of some upgrades. The lobby and continental breakfast were fine, but the room was not only shabby, but dirty. Further, housekeeping failed to make the bed, nor replace the coffee, soaps or shampoo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Unfortunately, this place had the very last room available on this particular Saturday...and I can see why. Very old and run down. Hair found in the shower stall, which was the tiniest shower stall I think I've ever seen in a motel/hotel. We found a poor child's stuffed animal on the floor next to the sofa; does that tell you how well housekeeping cleaned? This was a suite which did not justify the $200/night charge. The red heart shaped tub was rather tacky. In the morning, at 9:30am, they were out of waffle batter and also out of batter for the pancake machine, so we left for Shari's down the street. Amazingly, the beds and pillows were comfortable, the room quiet and the registration person was very pleasant, quick, efficient and polite. She had the roll-away bed in our room before we had hauled up our luggage. And when we called for additional towels, blanket and sheet, she brought them up in just a couple of minutes! So I guess it was a mixed stay.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for work back in August. Not much was available within Per Diem Rates so we booked at the Shilo Inn. The hotel itself shows its age, definitely could use an update. However, because this was business and I spent 14 hours on average working, it was fine for a daily swim and workout, then crashing till the morning. Breakfast was also just OK, but its free. They also have a hot tub, steam room and sauna, which was a nice plus at the end of a rough day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Renton, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I don't normally do reviews but I had to do this one.

We arrived at the hotel at 3:30 and check in is at 4:00pm. The guy at the counter was nice but abrupt about 4pm being the check in time. He did however check and found that 3 or the 5 rooms we rented were ready. When he called housekeeping to see about the other 2, he was met with a very rude response from the housekeeping staff. Our check in process was ok. We were allowed into the 3 rooms and had to come back for the other 2 an hour later. Over all he was a friendly person.

Our rooms were not very clean. I could not believe the amount of dirt build-up between the carpet and wall. Do they not have a hose that detaches to vacuum that area once in a while? We left pretty early to head to Silverwood and didn't return to the hotel until after midnight. When we did return we found one of the rooms not cleaned at all. Our towels/floor mat in a few of the other rooms were taken but not replenished. No soaps, etc, were replenished.

The main area of the hotel was just plain dirty. Carpets were gross. The entire place just made you feel dirty.

Our biggest complaint was the blonde woman we encountered upon check out. I can not believe that she is working in this industry. She was so rude! Never in all my years of traveling, which we do at least 10 times a year, have I encountered someone as rude as her. She clearly does not want to be doing her job. I've never had to stand for so long waiting to check out. She didn't do anything to help speed up the process and kept turning and watching tv as she was checking us out. She knew we had 3 cars with people (which included small children) outside waiting and she didn't care. She took her time. She was very rude to other guests that were there waiting too, finally one guy just walked out. After about 20mins she handed us the final statement and didn't even say anything. Not a "thank you for waiting", "thanks for staying with us", "have a good day", NOTHING!!! There was no one else there to even compain to.

We paid $125 a night for 5 rooms for 2 nights each. At least we could have had good customer service.

I've stayed in other Shilo Inns before and had good experiences which is why I choose this hotel, because of it's brand. But going forward, I would not go to any Shilo again nor would I recommend it to anyone else. I plan trips for our basketball team, soccer team and yearly family trips and usually like to stick with the same chain/brand. Shilo is now off my list. Especially the Coeur d'Alene one.

Richland, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have previously stayed at this property and it has always been okay for what I have paid. This trip, however, was the worst experience we have ever had.
My son and I traveled to the Spokane area for a yearly doctor's appointment, and decided to tag a visit to Silverwood onto this trip. It has become an annual tradition for us and we always get a hotel room in Coeur d'Alene.
When we arrived on Monday night we were greeted by a very friendly staff member at the front desk. She quickly got us checked into our room on the second floor (218). I did notice how filthy dirty the flooring throughout the hotel looked and wouldn't have been comfortable walking without shoes on. The elevator carpet was especially covered in stains and needed to be completely replaced.
Our room was good sized and the air conditioning worked very well. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest thing I had ever seen and I noticed that there was mold/mildew growing in the crease where the walls meet the ceiling in the shower. The floor in the bathroom needed a good scrubbing with bleach since it had a lot of built up grime. At least the beds didn't have bugs and they were comfortable.
When we awoke the next morning, we were greeted by cold showers. Not fun!!
After that unpleasant experience, we headed downstairs for the free breakfast. I was appalled by the condition of the dining room. The tablecloths were filthy and covered in yogurt, syrup, and honey. The table where the waffle machine was located was so gross because it was covered in batter. It was difficult to even find a clean spot to set down a glass on the table. There were no plates and the milk ran out more than once. You had to break your waffles into pieces and eat them out of a bowl. McDonalds would have been a better option!
We left by 10:30am to head out for a fun day at Silverwood. When we returned at 10:30pm that evening, with dinner in hand, we found that our keys would not let us into our room so we had to return to the front desk to get keys that would work. We were informed that when you stayed more than one night that the keys regularly demagnetized themselves. Odd, I've never had this problem at another hotel before. At least the person behind the counter was very helpful and nice to us.
When we did get into our room, we found that it had not been cleaned while we were gone. I double checked that I had not left the "do not disturb" sign in the door and found that I had indeed left it on our bathroom counter, so apparently they just forgot to clean our room. I called down to ask for some clean towels while we sat down to eat our dinner. We found that the main light in our room was not working so we had very little light to eat dinner by. We were quickly delivered towels by a very courteous gentleman who I asked about the lighting. He checked the switches and agreed that the main light was not working and said he would put in a request to have it fixed.
The next morning we were again greeted by cold showers. When I picked up one of the towels that had been delivered to our room, I found that it had a round red stain on it and one of the ends had come unsewn and was completely ragged. I think they need to check their towels and throw some away.
We opted to go elsewhere for breakfast because I wasn't going to deal with the filth a second day in a row.
When we checked out, I asked about the cold showers and was informed that a boiler had gone out. They could have at least informed their guests and offered some kind of compensation for the inconvenience. I shared our experience from our stay and all the issues that we had encountered with the person that checked us out of our room and didn't get so much as an apology for the unpleasant stay.
We will be returning for another appointment next year and another trip to Silverwood, but Shilo Inn will not be a part of our trip. Spend the few extra dollars and find a better hotel! You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene? Share your experiences!