“Worst customer service ever!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15% Now!
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Renton, Washington
“Worst customer service ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I don't normally do reviews but I had to do this one.

We arrived at the hotel at 3:30 and check in is at 4:00pm. The guy at the counter was nice but abrupt about 4pm being the check in time. He did however check and found that 3 or the 5 rooms we rented were ready. When he called housekeeping to see about the other 2, he was met with a very rude response from the housekeeping staff. Our check in process was ok. We were allowed into the 3 rooms and had to come back for the other 2 an hour later. Over all he was a friendly person.

Our rooms were not very clean. I could not believe the amount of dirt build-up between the carpet and wall. Do they not have a hose that detaches to vacuum that area once in a while? We left pretty early to head to Silverwood and didn't return to the hotel until after midnight. When we did return we found one of the rooms not cleaned at all. Our towels/floor mat in a few of the other rooms were taken but not replenished. No soaps, etc, were replenished.

The main area of the hotel was just plain dirty. Carpets were gross. The entire place just made you feel dirty.

Our biggest complaint was the blonde woman we encountered upon check out. I can not believe that she is working in this industry. She was so rude! Never in all my years of traveling, which we do at least 10 times a year, have I encountered someone as rude as her. She clearly does not want to be doing her job. I've never had to stand for so long waiting to check out. She didn't do anything to help speed up the process and kept turning and watching tv as she was checking us out. She knew we had 3 cars with people (which included small children) outside waiting and she didn't care. She took her time. She was very rude to other guests that were there waiting too, finally one guy just walked out. After about 20mins she handed us the final statement and didn't even say anything. Not a "thank you for waiting", "thanks for staying with us", "have a good day", NOTHING!!! There was no one else there to even compain to.

We paid $125 a night for 5 rooms for 2 nights each. At least we could have had good customer service.

I've stayed in other Shilo Inns before and had good experiences which is why I choose this hotel, because of it's brand. But going forward, I would not go to any Shilo again nor would I recommend it to anyone else. I plan trips for our basketball team, soccer team and yearly family trips and usually like to stick with the same chain/brand. Shilo is now off my list. Especially the Coeur d'Alene one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Richland, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have previously stayed at this property and it has always been okay for what I have paid. This trip, however, was the worst experience we have ever had.
My son and I traveled to the Spokane area for a yearly doctor's appointment, and decided to tag a visit to Silverwood onto this trip. It has become an annual tradition for us and we always get a hotel room in Coeur d'Alene.
When we arrived on Monday night we were greeted by a very friendly staff member at the front desk. She quickly got us checked into our room on the second floor (218). I did notice how filthy dirty the flooring throughout the hotel looked and wouldn't have been comfortable walking without shoes on. The elevator carpet was especially covered in stains and needed to be completely replaced.
Our room was good sized and the air conditioning worked very well. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest thing I had ever seen and I noticed that there was mold/mildew growing in the crease where the walls meet the ceiling in the shower. The floor in the bathroom needed a good scrubbing with bleach since it had a lot of built up grime. At least the beds didn't have bugs and they were comfortable.
When we awoke the next morning, we were greeted by cold showers. Not fun!!
After that unpleasant experience, we headed downstairs for the free breakfast. I was appalled by the condition of the dining room. The tablecloths were filthy and covered in yogurt, syrup, and honey. The table where the waffle machine was located was so gross because it was covered in batter. It was difficult to even find a clean spot to set down a glass on the table. There were no plates and the milk ran out more than once. You had to break your waffles into pieces and eat them out of a bowl. McDonalds would have been a better option!
We left by 10:30am to head out for a fun day at Silverwood. When we returned at 10:30pm that evening, with dinner in hand, we found that our keys would not let us into our room so we had to return to the front desk to get keys that would work. We were informed that when you stayed more than one night that the keys regularly demagnetized themselves. Odd, I've never had this problem at another hotel before. At least the person behind the counter was very helpful and nice to us.
When we did get into our room, we found that it had not been cleaned while we were gone. I double checked that I had not left the "do not disturb" sign in the door and found that I had indeed left it on our bathroom counter, so apparently they just forgot to clean our room. I called down to ask for some clean towels while we sat down to eat our dinner. We found that the main light in our room was not working so we had very little light to eat dinner by. We were quickly delivered towels by a very courteous gentleman who I asked about the lighting. He checked the switches and agreed that the main light was not working and said he would put in a request to have it fixed.
The next morning we were again greeted by cold showers. When I picked up one of the towels that had been delivered to our room, I found that it had a round red stain on it and one of the ends had come unsewn and was completely ragged. I think they need to check their towels and throw some away.
We opted to go elsewhere for breakfast because I wasn't going to deal with the filth a second day in a row.
When we checked out, I asked about the cold showers and was informed that a boiler had gone out. They could have at least informed their guests and offered some kind of compensation for the inconvenience. I shared our experience from our stay and all the issues that we had encountered with the person that checked us out of our room and didn't get so much as an apology for the unpleasant stay.
We will be returning for another appointment next year and another trip to Silverwood, but Shilo Inn will not be a part of our trip. Spend the few extra dollars and find a better hotel! You'll be glad you did.

Inland Northwest, Us
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The lobby was beautiful but going down the hallway to our room made us a little worried. The carpet was in desperate need of re-stretching or replacing. It had lumps all down the hallway. The corners in the hallway around the elevator were dusty and looked neglected. But our room was perfect and clean. A little dated, but just fine. A small suite that had everything we needed for an evening visit with family. A separate living room area with a second tv, a sofa bed, table and chairs and a little kitchen area with a sink and a microwave and refrigerator. The indoor swimming pool was full of kids so my granddaughter had a great time. The jacuzzi was perfect! We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We choose a suite and were on the top floor. Very quiet.
Tacoma, Wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Location = A; Room = B; Pool = B-; Continental Brkfst = B-; Parking = B; Lobby = B; Check-in = B; Exercise room = B-; HVAC = A-; Elevator = C; Hallways = C; Staff = C;

Overall, just a very, very worn out Hotel.

We are a husband/wife, three kids 12, 9, 7. Planned a trip to Silverwood theme Park. We booked just a couple days before our trip so there was some limited availability in the area. We've stayed at Shilo's before and so felt good about choosing it. We paid $130/night.

Location: Easy access off the I-90 and Hwy 95. It's good, general location. Just a block off Hwy 95 which is a main drag full of everything you could need shopping and dining wise. Hwy 95 is also the direct route to Silverwood theme Park. The street the hotel is on (Appleway Ave) is somewhat bare, semi-industrial/commercial. Still, the immediate area around the Inn is okay. There's an independent, drive thru coffee stand immediately across the street. JB's restaurant immediately in front of the Shilo. Arby's a block away. A couple pubs within a block or two also. Further down Appleway Ave it intersects with Northwest Blvd which takes you directly to the Coeur d' Alene resort and lake, past shopping, restaurants, Regal Cinemas, all easy access.

Restaurant: Many Shilo Inn's have their own restaurant and lounge which we like for convenience. This one does not but there is "JB's Restaurant" immediately in front of the Inn. It looks on par with a Denny's or Perkin's style restaurant though we did not eat there. They have a web site and looks like it's a chain across several states, with an ample menu. Mixed reviews online. So with no in-house restaurant, I think they provide the continental breakfast to make up for it. The desk clerk said Shilo guest get 10% off with a room card at JB's.

Check-in/out: We arrived at about 5:15. One person at the counter, one guest in front of us. It was fine, no problems, I had to wait while he answered the phone, put them on hold, answered again during my check-in. I saw no other staff anywhere. Checked out at 10 a.m., nothing special, robotic staff.

Room: We stayed in #338. There is one main building and then a smaller, adjoining one perpendicular to the main. Four floors in both buildings. We had two queen beds, a separate chair w ottoman; table w/ 2 chairs, long dressor w/ two deep drawers, Flat screen TV on top. Counter for bags. One mirrored closet w/ sliding doors. Separate low vanity counter with stool attached to higher vanity counter & sink. The sink is immediately inside the room door, not the best set up.

There is small kitchenette, mini fridge, bar sink, drawer, lower cupboards. Handy for storing bottled water etc. Beds were fine, pillows, bedding all okay. No signs of bed bugs or stains etc. Dark green carpet was dated, one noticeable stain in the open. Large window with side sliders, sheer and room darkening drapes.

The HVAC is immediately below the window controled by older style wall mount thermostat, but works fine. Heat or Cool settings are responsive. We like "white noise" but once the room reaches the set temp it turns off however, inside the thermostat control is a selector switch that lets you keep the fan on the whole time and the cooling kicks on when the temp is reached. I had to remove the control cover as the "fan" selector switch was gone/removed. It's possible ours was just broken and other rooms have that control, but I suspect they've all been disabled. You may not know how to remove the cover, but I do and it's easy to get off and on.

Bathroom: Okay, separate heat light, fan and main light. Tub is average, shower is average. There seemed to be enough hot water at each shower. Basic tile work with some signs of light mildew though, not the cleanest. The towel rack is located inside the tub/shower area at the top, back, not the best place.

Parking: There seemed to be sufficient parking, albeit full. We were able to park in the back and there is a rear entrance into our building, key card secure though the cards are touchy. Parking had sufficient lighting at night.

Pool: On the main floor. Deepest part is 4 feet. Stairs at each end of the pool. So, it's good for younger kids for sure. Lots of stair space for little toddlers too. Separate hot tub. Kids had fun. Towels normally provided but there were none when we were there. I asked for more and they brought some though very limited stock so I imagine they run out often. Limited pool side seating, but some. Windows from the main lobby observe the pool. Windows also between the pool and exercise room. Restroom in the exercise room and a door between pool and exercise room. Tiled deck seemed slippery to me and it's defintely seen some wear and maybe a tad dirty overall.

Exercise room: Smallish, but works. I used the treadmill which was decent. There's an eliptical, another treadmill, bike and a universal weight machine with weights & cables. Small TV mounted in the corner. Windows overlook the pool.

Breakfast: A contintental breakfast is provided in a medium sized room off the main lobby. There are three long tables as you walk in. Thin paper plates, plastice utensils at the start. Individual ceral containers with: Cherios, Total, Honey-nut Cherios and sometimes Cinamin Toast crunch selections. A table top mini cooler with Costco style gallons of milk and individual yogurts inside. Fruit, apples & bananas, mini muffins, plain and blue berry bagels, bread. Toasters for bagels & bread. Individual packets of jam/jelly, peanut butter and cream cheese. On the next table was the waffle making stations. Batter dispenser into plastic cups that you then poor into one of two waffle makers, 3 step process, pretty easy, butter and syrup packets including sugar free option.

A smaller, fourth table is coffee stations with liquid creamer packs, sugar, cups, lids, sleeves. Oatmeal packets and hot water dispenser. There are also inidividually packaged plain bagels & small pastries in a basket on the coffee table. In the main lobby there is Orange Juice and Apple Juice dispensers all day and coffee.

There are only four large, round tables in the breakfast room. We ate around 8:30 each day and never seemed to be a problem sitting down. White table clothes on each table. Certainly enough food to start your day but it's a "no frills" setting.

Lobby: Long rectangular room. As you come in, first small counter at the right is where the coffee and Juice stations are available all day, with a four chair bistro table in front of it. Moving forward, at the right is the main checkin counter. Looks to be at least three checkin stations but I only ever saw one person present.

In the center of the lobby is a sitting area with one Leather couch and two leather easy chairs, coffee table and center piece on a persian style rug. At the far end of the room is an identical sitting area. Above this last sitting area there is a smallish, 32" LCD TV mounted up high. It's totally out of scale for the size room and high ceilings, but it has a good picture and if quiet enough, you can hear it.

Upon entry, at the left are the windows that allow viewing the pool. Two bistro tables each with two chairs along those windows. Lastely, at the left is the 'business center' which is an executive desk with PC on top and printer next to it.

Elevator & halls: in our building there is just one. It is quiet and very slow. The stairs are carpeted and very wide, easy to climb. The hallways are worn. The carpet is actually severly wrinkled. I'd say the hallway carpet is a trip hazard. It was sunny, warm weather and the hall ways were very warm. There is an HVAC unit at each end and I checked each. They were set on "cool, Hi" but they were just blowing warm air. I suspect they've been permanently set to just "fan". They are the same as the room units and there is another unit in the main hall that puts out cold air. Not a big deal, the room units work well.

Staff: Nothing special here and nothing bad. Best described as "lack luster" service, but not offensive. I don't see anyone going out of their way to provide excellent service.

Room Tip: Bottom floors allow dogs. No in-house restaurant, limited continental breakfast.
Evergreen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

First, we show up between 2:45 and 3:00pm, asking if there was a room available for early check in. The person behind the counter informed us in a rather abrupt manner that check in time was 4:00pm, and until housekeeping told them, no one was to check in. I asked if she was certain there was not a single room available, and she said yes.

Upon normal check in at 430pm, the different clerk behind the counter was very nice, much unlike our first encounter.

The following morning, we went down for their continental breakfast. All 3 coffee containers were empty, no yogurt in the Dannon refrigerator, only bread, cold cereal, and the waffle area. There WAS waffle batter, and the waffle maker worked, however, with it only being 7:45am, the area was a mess, and evidently had not been cleaned since breakfast started. Waffle batter everywhere. Had to go to the lobby to get coffee, and juice was only available in the lobby.

The carpeting in the place was not only VERY worn out, but filthy as well, especially near the common room entrances. Once in our room, the rooms were pretty spacious, and included a small fridge, microwave, and single cup coffee maker, all functional. It would have been helpful to at least have a pack of plasticware available, as there was nothing to stir coffee with.

I've had much better experiences with Shilo Inns before, but this one greatly reduces my probability of booking another one. If you need a room in Coeur D'Alene, I suggest you select somewhere else.

Room Tip: This Shilo Inn in conveniently located adjacent to I-90. Getting a higher numbered room on any floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family (husband and 2 boys) stayed for three nights at the Shilo Inn and we would have moved to a new hotel if it hadn't already been paid for. It took over 15 minutes to check in even though there were 2 people at the desk and no other customers. Our TV and phone did not work and the mini fridge was iced over from the freezer. They moved us to another room but it wasn't much better. I had trouble with my key and went down to the front desk and the girl was filing her nails and didn't even look up at me. Another person came out and helped. The pool was heavily chlorined and my boy didn't even want to swim in it and they LOVE swimming. I will never, ever stay at Shilo Inns again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Sarah C,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I would love to talk to you regarding the issues that you had. Please call me at your convenience, 208-664-2300. Thank you!

Marie Stewart
Colorado Springs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I counted on the reviews on TripAdvisor. Apparently, one still has to be very cautious. This hotel is a disaster. It is old, outdated, and is terrible disrepair. the room was clean, but then clean is relative...the housekeepers can only do so much when everything is old, decrepit, discolored and oxidized. Wood trim in the room appeared to have been reattached, but the nail holes were not filled...very cheap looking. The furniture is from the 1980s, the bedspreads and pictures match the decor.

Entry hall carpeting is worn and unraveling. The reception desk is an introduction to the 1980s decor of the entire place. The main floor ice machine was not working so when I asked about it, I was sent three floors up on a dirty elevator and wandered the hall until I found the only working ice machine. There was no bucket holder, so holding the filling ice bucket with one hand while pushing the button with the other was annoying.

Now for the shower. There was a thick and vibrantly growing collection of black mold inside the shower handle! Black mold! Disgusting. And it appears the same mold was beginning to grow in the tile grout. Finally, the large, shower towel provided was actually no better than a rag, and that is insulting decent rags everywhere! It was unraveling with strings coming off. Housekeepers should never put such a towel out for guest use. Unbelieveable.

And finally, a bug took up residence under the used towels during the night. I trust he was not charged the same rate for the room.

One good thing: the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Bypass this place until it is updated and remodeled. Green and mauve is 25 years outdated!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene? Share your experiences!