“Average motel, weird odour, mysterious charge” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Coeur d'Alene

You added Days Inn Coeur d'Alene to your Saves list
Days Inn Coeur d'Alene
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 Northwest Blvd, I-90 & Northwest Blvd Exit 11, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Average motel, weird odour, mysterious charge”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I never give bad reviews, this is a first. I was going to give it a 3 star rating because this is quite an average motel and the price to performance ratio is within expectations. But the room had a very weird smell. Funny cos they made many emphasis including placing signs in rooms stating that the rooms are non smoking, it smelt to me like someone else did smoke here and they used some awful smelling chemicals to remove that odour. Either that or that comes from the stuff they use to seal the wood furniture surfaces.

What really tipped me off was when I saw an additional $5 charge on my credit card. There was no explanation no email to inform me what this was for. I know this amount is not a big deal at all or perhaps there is a perfectly good explanations for this but some kind of explanation/email informing would be good before proceeding to make a charge?

Given that this is such a small amount I don't think I would bother to make an international call to make a fuss but I am not too happy with merchants that go around charging extra fees without informing the customers first.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ElizabethJobe, General Manager at Days Inn Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Tinywingz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize first for the room odor you experienced while staying with us. We are a 100% non smoking hotel, which we do have signs all over stating, we also charge a $250 fee if a room is smoked in. We do apologize that some guests do not wish to follow our policy and this may have very well affected your stay with us. Which leaves us partly to blame for renting a room that was not ready to be used and I am very sorry that this hindered your experience with us.

I would also like to let you know, even though I cannot look up your account, because I am unaware of who you are, but the $5 charge is actually not a charge at all. When our guests check in with us, whether you have already paid for the room or are paying at check in, our system authorizes a $5 incidental fee per night of stay. This amount is released upon check out and credited back to your account. This however depending on banks can take up to 3-10 days. We aren't charging for just anything. Whatever the amount on your receipt was, was the only amount we charged. I do apologize for the misunderstanding, and if you would like you can send me an email at jobe.elizabeth@gmail.com.

Elizabeth Jobe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wichita, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I've traditionally associated days inn with an economical chain of hotels. I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of their accommodations. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms and hallways smelled like grandma's house but that wasn't too bad. The continental breakfast was mediocre. Overall, this was worth the inexpensive stay.

Stayed July 2014
Dear SpicyBigMac,

Thank you so much for your honest review on your recent stay with us. You are absolutely correct that our brand is typically an economical chain. I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised! Our number 1 goal is to provide a clean and comfortable stay for our guests. Though, I am not sure what exactly you mean by it smells like "grandmas house", but I am glad it isn't a bad thing! Maybe it is the popcorn and chocolate chip cookies. ;) We hope to see you again!

Central Point, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

After a long drive to Coeur d'Alene, ID from the Columbia Gorge in Oregon, this was a welcome site. Motel and rooms were average, but clean and comfortable. Close to shopping center and a restaurant or two.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gdwilkinson1,

Thank you for your honest review on your recent stay with us! I am glad you found us comfortable and we hope to see you again.

Cottonwood Heights, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The customer service was great, price was reasonable not the cheapest but not the highest either, and room was comfy. The only hiccup we had was that there was a little bit of sand at the foot of the bed under the sheets. We went to the front desk immediately, they apologized and asked if we wanted to new room or just the sheets changed. We were already settled so we decided just for new sheets. The manager came back directly to the room with us and switched them out. Great place for a few nights stay.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Blondienja,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize again so much for the sheet issue on your first night with us. That is not something we take lightly, which I know you realized as well with our quick response. :) I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your nights with us and we hope to see you again!

Coeur D Alene
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stayed one night with my son. It was very nice there. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We had breakfast at a nearby restaurant tho. I wanted omelets....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Dear Roswitha W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to writing a review on your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I understand you wanted omelets, however we do provide a cheese omelet with our free continental breakfast. We hope to see you again sometime!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

for how much it was 102 a night it was a cheap hotel the picture make it seem alot better than it is huge surprise when we showed up, we were booked for four nights we end up switch to another hotel. and the hot tube was broken.

Room Tip: spend more money if ur cheap they will give you a cheap room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ElizabethJobe, General Manager at Days Inn Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear amieloveslove,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with us. We recently remodeled our rooms, and our pictures online were updated in May to reflect these changes to our hotel. I'm very sorry that you found our pictures to be deceiving. My front desk staff has been looking into which room this may have been. Had this been brought to our attention prior to leaving, we would have done everything in our power to make it right. Our hot tub did have some issues, and we had to send out for a part, which took much longer than we had hoped. We did try to let everyone know that booked with us of the issue, but many of our guests that had booked prior to this happening may not have been aware prior to arrival. Again, I am very sorry about your experience with us! Please contact me directly, my personal email is jobe.elizabeth@gmail.com. I hope to be able to have the opportunity to make it right.

Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

this is an older hotel, but we had a nice 2 night stay. Very comfortable. We were very satifised and the price of room not outlandish. Would stay there again. To mgmt.: might tidy up outside landscaping a little.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from front deck.....we stayed on 2nd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jankentmeridian,

Thank your for your review! I'm glad you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your note about the landscaping, as we always welcome feedback on ways to improve. Thanks you for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to having you come stay again!

Elizabeth Jobe

Been to Days Inn Coeur d'Alene? Share your experiences!