“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 206 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: American, Sandwiches
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: We take comfort food seriously, Extremely seriously, but with some twists. Combining our passion for Extraordinary flavor profiles with our love for the Extreme, MELTZ is the culmination of years of culinary experience. Fusing layers of flavor, our sandwiches go beyond your expectations and what you may imagine. These sandwiches are deliberate in every way to bring you an Extreme combination of textures, flavors, spices and heat. Oh, we still make simple, familiar grilled cheese sandwiches. But if you're looking to Kick Up Your Comfort, we've got something on the menu for you!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I always read the restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor, Yelp and Urban Spoon when traveling. The highest rated restaurants are usually worth a try, especially if they are smaller, independent places which are not too expensive and have some unique attribute.

My wife and I recently attended a medical meeting in Coeur d'Alene, our first visit there. I consulted the reviews and found 3 restaurants we wanted to try: Hudson's Hamburgers, Meltz and Best Sandwich Shack.

Meltz is modest storefront located in a strip mall about 10 minutes by car from the center of town. It was easy to find. They offer a variety "extreme" toasted sandwiches, cheese and many other imaginative combinations. The sandwiches are huge. We each ordered the half-sandwich/cup of tomato soup option. It was more than enough for a meal.

Her selection: Briqueso (White cheddar, Brie Mousse, Roasted Artichokes, Sweet Red Peppers, Carmelized Onions, Garlicky Spinach, Grilled Zucchini and Sundried Tomato Pesto), My selection: the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich (White cheddar, fontina, Monteray Jack, goat cheese, Gorgonzola and Gruyere).

Both sandwiches were outstanding, probably the best grilled cheese sandwiches either of us has ever eaten.

Service was good. The atmosphere is a bit fast foodish, but that did not matter to us. It is the food that counts.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“A foodies dream!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Everything I love about eating! A small local dive with unbelievable food! The most creative combination of ingredients in a grilled sandwich you can imagine. The term "grilled cheese" does not do this place justice- it is so much more. You can easily share a full sandwich with two people, they are quite large. Try their homemade potato chips with the dipping sauces too, a great side. Worth the detour off the freeway!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson
“No disappointment! If you like Extreme, try the Korean Krazy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We shared two halves, so that we could try different flavors - the Rooben Evolooshun and the Korean Krazy. They were nice enough to cut our halves in half. Both were fantastic. We may plan a vacation here again, just so we can eat here! The Korean Krazy is one of their award winning extreme sandwiches. It was packed with flavor. You may need some breath mints later. The Rooben was equally as good. More traditional than the Korean, but one of the best Ruebens that I have ever eaten. I would like to come back for the Cubano. Our friends shared the Briqueso, and they both said if we could order beer, then they would come back for dinner. Very casual place jam packed with people. The crowd thinned out around 2:30. Thanks, Meltz.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Omaha, Nebraska
“Awesome! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Loved it! Very good. I'd come back if I lived here! Wish there was one in Omaha ne. Variety of melty cheese sandwich options. Dips are good and the homemade chips are yummy too!

Harlingen, Texas
“Imaginative!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

A little off route 95 is a small place worth visiting. We stopped here for lunch after seeing the reviews on TA.
Imagination and lots of trial and error must have gone into their sandwich selection.
I had the 1/2 Cubano sandwich with a bowl of soup. My wife had the 5 cheese sandwich. Both were very good! Both came with fresh house-made potato chips with dipping sauces. While I enjoyed the chips, my wife didn't care for them. She didn't like their seasoning.
All in all, I would return. I really want to try their pot sticker sandwich. But, since we're only in CDA every 3 years or so, it'll be a while.