“Imaginative!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 208 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: American, Sandwiches
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: We take comfort food seriously, Extremely seriously, but with some twists. Combining our passion for Extraordinary flavor profiles with our love for the Extreme, MELTZ is the culmination of years of culinary experience. Fusing layers of flavor, our sandwiches go beyond your expectations and what you may imagine. These sandwiches are deliberate in every way to bring you an Extreme combination of textures, flavors, spices and heat. Oh, we still make simple, familiar grilled cheese sandwiches. But if you're looking to Kick Up Your Comfort, we've got something on the menu for you!
Harlingen, Texas
“Imaginative!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

A little off route 95 is a small place worth visiting. We stopped here for lunch after seeing the reviews on TA.
Imagination and lots of trial and error must have gone into their sandwich selection.
I had the 1/2 Cubano sandwich with a bowl of soup. My wife had the 5 cheese sandwich. Both were very good! Both came with fresh house-made potato chips with dipping sauces. While I enjoyed the chips, my wife didn't care for them. She didn't like their seasoning.
All in all, I would return. I really want to try their pot sticker sandwich. But, since we're only in CDA every 3 years or so, it'll be a while.

“Surly Service, Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The location is a bit off putting, not a lot of parking & the interior is crowded. The service was pretty curt and not really friendly or helpful with suggestions. One of the few places I have been to that charges for water. Despite all of this I did experience one of the most unique and flavorful sandwiches of my life, seriously. Its a sandwich I find myself daydreaming about eating again and relive the experience in my minds eye. It was that good. In the end the food was worth the lack of interior comfort and passive-aggressive staff.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Not my kind of place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Hubby wanted to try this place so I went along. The Simpleton sandwich sounded like it had at least some fresh veggies in it but the little bit there were overwhelmed with CHEESE. The Caesar salad might have been a pleasant option if it had not been plastered in creamy sauce and doused generously with dry Parmesan CHEESE. Hubby had Mac and CHEESE soup. We are ticking clogged artery time bombs after eating here. Don't even think about the calorie count of all that CHEESE! Ok, so the name of the place is Meltz. There still could be some lighter fare offered.

Rathdrum, Idaho
“Excellent Sandwich's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is a surprisingly good restaurant. It’s tucked away in a unassuming building. Yet, walk inside and you immediately feel welcomed. The insides are clean and bright. The food is always cooked to order so you get just what you want. Everything I’ve ever had there was excellent. I will be going back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Originality Counts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place gets a 5, just like Le Bernardin, The French Laundry, or Picasso (Las Vegas). Okay, it isn't that good or even close to it or even allowed on the same block. Its just'a grilled cheese sandwich for Gosh Sake! Until, you take into originality, which can be hard to do in today's ultra-foodie world. Meltz does it, however. They offer up some pretty darn original sandwiches. I had the Simpleton and my wife the German Curd sandwiches. Fantastic. Quality ingredients. Large portions. Look at their menu http://meltzextreme.com/menu/ and you'll see what i mean about original. Bravo Chef!

To be honest, the location is strange to poor and the confines of the restaurant are pretty average at best. It almost looses its 5 because of that. Then again, Coeur D'Alene needs to this place to compete, with the likes of those aforementioned pretenders.

• Visited June 2014