“Originality Counts” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 208 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: American, Sandwiches
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: We take comfort food seriously, Extremely seriously, but with some twists. Combining our passion for Extraordinary flavor profiles with our love for the Extreme, MELTZ is the culmination of years of culinary experience. Fusing layers of flavor, our sandwiches go beyond your expectations and what you may imagine. These sandwiches are deliberate in every way to bring you an Extreme combination of textures, flavors, spices and heat. Oh, we still make simple, familiar grilled cheese sandwiches. But if you're looking to Kick Up Your Comfort, we've got something on the menu for you!
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Originality Counts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place gets a 5, just like Le Bernardin, The French Laundry, or Picasso (Las Vegas). Okay, it isn't that good or even close to it or even allowed on the same block. Its just'a grilled cheese sandwich for Gosh Sake! Until, you take into originality, which can be hard to do in today's ultra-foodie world. Meltz does it, however. They offer up some pretty darn original sandwiches. I had the Simpleton and my wife the German Curd sandwiches. Fantastic. Quality ingredients. Large portions. Look at their menu http://meltzextreme.com/menu/ and you'll see what i mean about original. Bravo Chef!

To be honest, the location is strange to poor and the confines of the restaurant are pretty average at best. It almost looses its 5 because of that. Then again, Coeur D'Alene needs to this place to compete, with the likes of those aforementioned pretenders.

Seattle, Washington
“Daughter exclaims "Best Sandwich EVER". Mine was pretty awesome too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy. I had the Cuban Sammy & Caesar Salad combo. Actually, I had 1/2 sandwich, based on reading previous reviews. Glad I listened, it was big & filling. The crispy cheese that was attached to the edges of my sandwich were an extra bonus. Loved it. My kiddo had the Oinker and she says we have to come back here every time we come to Coeur d'Alene. No problem. The place was full - every table was occupied and people were still coming thru the door. The staff were very friendly and our food came quickly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellevue, Washington
“Don't let the location put you off.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We read the reviews of Meltz and stopped for lunch on our way from Seattle to Missoula. It was so good, we timed our return trip so we would be back there when they opened. This is the most creative restaurant we've been to in quite a while and it would be a shame to miss it. The menu has some standard sandwiches on it but that's not why you want to go here. Try any of their award winners along with an order of chips. You will be really glad that you did...

Canton, Georgia
“Not your momma's grilled cheese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Excellent rating is all about the food!

Found this place on tripadvisor when researching Coeur d'alene. We were in town visiting friends and i knew there would be some times during the week when they were not available and we might want to grab a bite out somewhere. We're traveling extensively in a motorhome so many of our meals are prepared at 'home' and eaten in. Choosing to eat out in each new
are is an adventure for me and tripadvisor sure steered us in the right direction with Meltz!

Location: this place could easily be missed if you don't know to look for it and how/where. it's in basically a little strip shopping center off what i would consider to be a side road (Kathleen St.) west of route 95. the center boasts a Conoco convenience store/gas station in the center and a pizza joint ("Sandy's" which i thought was funny cuz i'm a Sandy) on the other end. if
you have GPS, put in the street address and follow the directions even if you think they are taking you to a gas station in the 'burbs.

Staff: efficient and friendly. we visited for a late lunch - around 2pm - and found the place to still be busy with 2 groups of 5, several couples and a couple singles.

Seating: is limited but at this time of day everybody seemed to be able to find something that worked for them. there is 'patio' seating at a couple metal tables out front but i wouldn't choose those because of the convenience store/gas station traffic which is substantial. honestly, as great as this place is, it could really use an upgrade in location to somewhere a bit
more on the beaten path and with a real patio option...oh, and a beer/wine license.

Food: that's what you come for. this ain't your momma's grilled cheese sammich (though you can get that here if you want) forget all the other stuff - leave your pretenses at home and just come to this place for the fabulous food. portions are enormous so begin your difficult choice knowing that a 1/2 sandwich is likely enough for anybody for the meal you are about to consume at the store. if you order a full sandwich, plan to take 1/2 home with you (the staff and their facebook page can provide you with reheating instructions to make the most of their yummy goodness). they offer traditional grilled cheese sandwiches with choices of bread (including gluten free) and cheese, you can make your own concoction with a list of available
add-ons which are charged by the each like a make your own pizza would be. they also have some truly unique and fabulous gourmet and extreme offerings. these include meats and flavorings you've likely never considered for a grilled cheese sandwich. i had a difficult time choosing between the wingz and the pot sticker sandwich. the wingz sammy includes fried chicken and buffalo sauce which are a favorite of mine...but i figured i could try making something like that one on my own and instead opted for the truly unique and often recommended pot sticker - 1/2 size. hubby went for the same and we split an order of homemade chips and a chipoltle gorgonzola dip. the sandwich was nothing short of amazing. loaded with 2 cheeses and grilled to crispy, crunchy, gooey perfection this artistic sandwich was filled with the ground meat/green onion/sesame tastes and textures of a high quality chinese pot sticker and was served with the same delicious sauce for dipping (or in my case sometimes pouring) on it. finger licking yumm-ness at it's best! the chips i could take or leave next time. they were being kept warm under a light and were probably more than 30 mins. old so not as crispy and fresh as i like my potatoes. the dip was almost too strong on gorgonzola for me but was a fun try.

Prices: more than reasonable for lunch for 2 coming in under $20 including drinks, tip and tax.
We'd definitely eat here again and already recommended to our friends from the area who didn't know it existed. I can see why on tripadvisor for Coeur d'alene restaurants this one bubbles to the top!

• Visited May 2014
Salem
“The best extreme sandwich shop ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I found this place on, of all places, Trip Advisor prior to my recent visit to Coeur d'Alene. My daughter an I went for lunch on a Sunday. It was easy to find. Very unassuming building in a small strip mall type place. I had read about all the awards this place has received (I wasn't even aware there were such awards out there). There were so many amazing things on the menu to choose from. It came down to the Cubano, The Potsticker, The Oinker or the Korean Krazy. The friendly staff recommended the Korean Krazy which was a 2013 National Grilled Cheese International Winner. This was the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had! Hands down! There were so many interesting flavors swimming in my mouth from the pork, to the Siracha-chili aioli to the fried wantons to the potsticker dipping sauce. The sandwhich was huge, too, and came with a side of their home made chips! My daughter had the Cheezy Caprese which was almost as good, with mozzarella, fontina and shaved asiago cheese grilled tomato, pesto and balsamic reduction! So good!! I only wish there was one in my town or that I didn't live so far away. Would definitely, without a doubt go back the next time I visit Coeur d'Alene!

• Visited May 2014