“I wouldn't recommend this motel” 2 of 5 stars

You added Silver Lake Motel to your Saves list
Silver Lake Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6160 N. Sunshine Street, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83815   |
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
“I wouldn't recommend this motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

What can I say? Keep on driving! Sleep in your vehicle! Of course, I was not impressed with the whole Coeur d'Alene area but this motel didn't help any! The little kitchen was cute and the bathroom was clean, that's all I can say about it. I reported no wi-fi in my room, they said they'd have somebody look into it and 2 days later there was no wi-fi...but there was in the room next door! The morning attendant works a night job and when I asked about breakfast (@7:30 a.m., I got him out of bed...I guess the person in charge of that didn't show up! No, no, no, people! Save your money!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have never stayed at a motel of this low caliber. I am surprised that the Coeur d'Alene Health Department has not investigated and shut them down. I booked the room over the telephone and did not do a walkthrough of the motel beforehand. I most certainly would not have stayed if we had done that. Staying at this motel has shown me that it is imperative to check out any motel before booking.
First of all, we were not able to unlock our door with the room key. The woman in the office was able to open the door by moving the key a "special way". We still were not able to unlock the door by using her "special way". After complaining twice to the office manager, we decided to ask for a different room because we were not even able to get in the room. They did move us to a different room. In this room, the tv remote was stuck on 1 channel and we were not able to change channels. After complaining twice to the office manager, a young black man finally gave us a different remote.
That evening we noticed several shady characters sitting on the steps of the motel in the hallways. They looked homeless and destitute. We also noticed that early in the morning there was a large crowd of men in the parking lot.. some of them were laying under the parked cars. It looked like they were maybe waiting for a ride to work..? It was very disconcerting. I don't know if these men were staying at the motel or if they used the parking lot for a meeting place for car pooling. During the day, there were also strange looking characters perusing the parking lot.
At first glance, the room appeared to be shabbyclean but closer inspection revealed dirt and hair on the torn tile floor of the bathroom. The worst part is that my husband and I both contracted head lice at this hell hole motel which we are now fighting to get rid of.
I felt it was imperative to let other travelers know..not to stay here! Save your money for a decent room!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kent, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Oh my gosh...desperately looking for a last minute room for me and two young kids. Booked on expedia for $172 a nite. Drove to hotel...paint peeling off doors of rooms, unkempt grounds, a couple guys with a table on the side eating...very scary looking. I would not even get out of the car to see if my eyes were deceiving me. Horrific ...avoid it no matter what..I would have slept in the car before stepping a foot into this place. Idaho health department needs a to do a check on this place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Woke up in the middle of the night to BED BUGS on me and my six year old son! Good thing is the manager didn't argue with me and was very polite and refunded my money no questions asked. They did offer to move us to another room. Needless to say i had to get out of there asap! Not fun for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2013
north central, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked this place before seeing the reviews (some of which were awful) but decided out of convenience to give it a try anyway. I'll admit I went in with a very critical eye and here is my story:
When I walked into the office there was nobody there and less than a minute later a shabbily-dressed young man eating a chicken wing (or something) came out and asked if he could help me. I told him I had a reservation (he didn't look impressed) and he sat down his food and wiped off his hands. He was wearing an old t-shirt and a pair of jean shorts covered in paint. He knew my name (which tells me they must not get too many reservations (at least for a weeknight). He printed off the paperwork, couldn't find the key to my room and expressed, "So that kinda sucks." He explained that he would need to put me in a different room and asked if upstairs was okay. The only other question he asked was if I had anyone with me. He got the paperwork squared away, directed me to the room (across the street) and explained how to use the pool. The first thing we noticed was numerous people standing outside their rooms talking on cellphones. My wife sent me in to scan the place. I noticed the parking lot was littered with debris (candy wrappers, cigarette butts), as was the stairwell. I walked past one guy sitting on the stairwell talking on a cellphone. He seemed a bit annoyed that he had to move to let me by. I couldn't get my key to work in the deadbolt. I could hear voices from somewhere and I saw an open can of beer sitting on the inside window sill, so I began to worry that the clerk had given me an occupied room. I peeked in the window and saw that the room was empty. I finally figured out that the key was for the knob lock and not the deadbolt. On initial inspection, the room was visibly clean (floors vacuumed, towels and sheets white, beds made) and it smelled okay. The room was spacious. There was a fixture missing from one of the bed lights, the glass in one of the pictures was cracked) and the A/C was on high (the place felt like an icebox). The bathroom floors looked fairly clean but more attention could have been paid to the edges (debris, hair). We went out to dinner and then returned for the night. It was then we found the TV appeared to be set on one channel and the only thing we could do was turn the volume up and down. I used the restroom (there was a separate toilet/shower room with a door) and saw that the door was cracked on the inside and behind the door was filthy. I initially thought it might be some adhesive that picked up some dirt, but I used a wet wipe and the dirt easily came up. It was like they never cleaned behind because nobody ever closes it. We went to bed. My wife thought the bed was hard, but I found it fine. The pillows were a bit flat but there were three per bed. About midnight I woke up to the clock radio sounding, but otherwise it was quiet. I use a sound machine, so that helped. The showers and everything worked fine. All the towels were new, clean and folded. I wasn't sure about where to go for the free breakfast, so I called the clerk. She informed me that she hadn't set it out because they were waiting for a food delivery. I paused and wasn't sure if that meant it would be late or what and had to say, "So...no breakfast today?" She then told me that there wasn't and apologized. By this time I was bit annoyed and told my wife that I felt like just tossing them the key at checkout and walking out without saying a word, but she told me that would be rude. I walked in and the clerk was sitting and on the phone. She made no motion that she was going to get up or signal me, so i just set the key down, said thanks, and walked away. I guess it wasn't an absolutely horrible stay but if I remember correctly, I could have stayed at a chain-type place for about the same price ($118), but I went with convenience. I also use the free breakfast as a decision-maker since it saves my large family some serious money, so no breakfast really sealed the deal for me. Of course,I don't see any point in complaining to management since they already have my money and I doubt they would do anything about it anyway. I'm kind of curious about why www.hotels.com would allow this low class place to be on their radar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moses Lake, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is a good deal by the week, if you want to deal with ex mental patients and drugs, The maintenance man is a young part African American and he was the desk person one nite, I went down to the desk and ask him a question and he was so incoherent he could not function. The Manager is a nice gal and does well but all the staff but one are absolutely horrible and the maid service is two youg men. One is good the other one is also a druggie. Would not stay again and the continental breakfast is nothing to write home about. Bisquits and gravy and premade waffle sticks and cold cereal. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

They didn't change the bed sheets, just made the bed with the same sheets. I had to ask for new bed sheets after two weeks. Be prepared to wait if need any service. They like to stare at you too. I walked into the office surprisingly someone was in there and the second I get in and start to speak the clerk walks away. I could not believe it. The housekeeper empty the trash and left the full garbage bag on my bathroom sink. Didn't touch the dirty sink and took all my towels except the half sized one I hadn't used yet. It was rare for there to be hot water to take a shower let alone a jacuzzi bath which i paid extra to stay in the room with one. And if you have a cat or dog and you pay extra to have there be prepared to take them with you every time you leave your room(to go to the McDonald's down the street or to your car). You can't leave them unattended and no refunds if you remove them after you find out there strict policy. Good luck if you stay. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Silver Lake Motel? Share your experiences!