“1985 called. It wants its resort back.” 3 of 5 stars

115 South 2nd Street, PO Box 7200, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814   |
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cork, Ireland
“1985 called. It wants its resort back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Your experience of this "resort" will depend on your standards, but while this is no doubt a great spot for a family vacation, it is also by no means a world-class resort. The blandest of design is coupled with a powerful love for beige, the clientèle is contentedly mid-market, and actual lazy susans grace at least some of the restaurant tables right along with decidedly uninspired menus. It's all vaguely "Florida 1985" with little to make it stand out as a destination vacation. What it does have to offer is the lake, fantastic views, and an easy walk to the small but much more engaging Coeur d'Alene downtown.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Sabrina Dent,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor.com. We appreciate all of our guest feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the city of Coeur d'Alene and I hope we will see you back in the near future.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The resort has a beautiful setting. Unfortunately we had $229 room (#320) that was directly above the entrance and we listened to busses morning and night. Housekeeping failed to close our door completely so it was left unlocked for several hours. They also did not bring toiletries the second day. I discussed all these issues with management and the room rate was reduced by $50 for one night. I found it quite amazing that when I asked the manager for toiletries, especially given the fact he knew our door had been left open, he wanted to know which ones we wanted. For a resort of this nature I would have expected a response more like, "we'll get right on that." How about just sending up all of them? On a positive note, the infinity pool is very nice and also the boat ride out to it. The front desk staff were also pleasant.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the north wing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolyn4407,

I am sorry to hear about the disappointments regarding your room from your recent visit to Coeur d'Alene. I understand that room accommodation has noise issues due to being above the valet circle, which can be surprising to a guest who was not informed of this ahead of time. I have passed along this information to our reservations manager who will communicate with her staff the importance of being clear with future guests who book. That you for your kind words on the out door pool and the front desk staff. We strive to meet all of our guest requests and I hope that you will come back to give us a second chance in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a surprise to open my powered blinds in the morning and seeing that Postcard ready sight for the first time and yes I took a picture, I checked in at night with the help of the late shift staff and all was well, my room was very modern,clean and comfortable ,unfortunately I was there for business and was only there one night but would love to return. Good place to stay.

Room Tip: Get the lake view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WarrenTraveler,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay for others to read about. I hope you will be able to return in the near future for another amazing visit!

Torrance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel is absolutely a gem, set in one of the most beautiful places in the world. The hotel staff was equal to the scenery, incredible, accommodating and a pleasure. The short walk into town for coffee and chocolate was incredible, but to be able to walk to the lake, get on a float plane and tour the property and the lake took the cake...amazing hotel. The staff also gave us a boat ride to the island tee...seriously...amazing. We are trying to figure out a way to get back there again. This blew Hawaii away...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Jambasco,

I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us last Spring. It sounds like you were able to partake in one of my favorite activities, the sea plane tour! It is quite amazing to see the lake from in the air. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and our team will look forward to your next visit to Coeur d'Alene.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The setting of this resort is stunning: amazing natural beauty paired with smart design and abundant amenities makes it a great place to stay. The rooms are nice (solid but not spectacular) and the restaurants are well attended and the food is good (again, solid if not spectacular). But what really makes the experience here is the attitude of the staff. From the front desk to the groundskeepers, everyone is there to make sure you have a great experience. No matter your need, someone is there to help - whether you've requested assistance or just look in need. Many times, we had someone drop everything they were doing without us ever asking (literally several staff put down armloads of work) just to help us find our way or take a group picture for us. this attitude extended to the golf course, the shuttle boats, and every other encounter we had. I've stayed a lot of very nice places and never had such caring, comprehensive service. Add in the amazing setting and the great golf course and I can't wait to return...again and again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tjw503,

Thank you for the amazing review regarding the team members at the Resort. We all work very hard to ensure each guest receives this treatment whether they are staying with us or just joining us for a meal at Beverly's or Dockside. I hope we will see you back in the near future for another flawless stay!

Sacramento, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've stayed at the resort a couple times now, and practically lived at Dockside (one of their restaurants) when I was a resident of Idaho. So I thought I knew what to expect this time around. I was unfortunately mistaken.

Let's start with the pro's:
Friendly Service
Great Food
Amazing View (Room 1258, Corner Lake View Balcony Room)
Comfortable Bed
Perfect location
Incredible pool

And onto the con's:
45 Minute wait for luggage from the valet to our room.
Mold in our bathroom
Had to request more toilet paper on our third night

My initial expectation was that I'd find our stay to be a five star experience. Based on our previous stay, and based on the service I got at their restaurants in the past, I had no reason to think otherwise.
I figured I could let go of the wait for the luggage and still call it a great experience... it was 4th of July, after. But compounded with the other issues, no way.
We noticed mold in the bathroom on our second day, I complained to the front desk at noon, and was assured it would be taken care of. We went out for a few hours, and when we came back at 4:00, it had not been cleaned. With such a health concern as mold, I would've expected it to be dealt with ASAP.
We complained a second time, and went to dinner. When we came back from dinner, it was gone and clean.
Our final issue was having to request toilet paper. We had been there for three days when we ran out, and there was no spare roll in sight. For what you pay per night, the last thing you want to be doing at the resort is wasting your time asking for more toilet paper.

Why three stars instead of less? As inefficient as we fould the housekeeping/bell service, everyone at the restaurants and front desks was friendly, food was terrific as always, and you simply cannot beat the location of the resort for a relaxing night in CDA.

As rated below, the rooms itself were great, but the room cleanliness was poor. I chose to rate cleanliness great since most of the resort was in tip-top shape, but rooms poor for the room cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you're springing for a premier lake-view w/fireplace, request a corner room. Your balcony wr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe W,

Thank you for your constructive criticism as it can only help us to improve in the areas you described. I completely agree with you on the issues you listed, these things should not happen in a 4 star Resort. Being a return guest, you know these are not normal occurrences and will be dealt with immediately. I am sorry for the mistakes made during your stay and encourage you to contact me directly when booking your next stay at the Resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

After a bit of a hitch with our room reservation, we were impressed with the manager's (Doug) quick fix. Our room was comfortable, clean and quiet. What we really loved about this resort was the pool! The pool is located about 15 minutes from the resort, adjacent to the golf course. You might be thinking what a drag not to have the pool on site, but you would be wrong! We got to take a fantastic boat ride on the lake to and from the pool. The boat was beautiful, the captain friendly and fun (captain Lance you are awesome!). We looked forward to our boat ride to the pool and considered it a bonus to our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Arleenb,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.com. I am so pleased to hear we were able to resolve your issue immediately and meet all of your needs. The hand-crafted wooden eagle boats are definitely beautiful, fast, and fun! Thank you again for sharing, the staff at the Resort will look forward to your return.

Front Desk Manager

Been to The Coeur d'Alene Resort? Share your experiences!