“Started out wrong finished strong.” 4 of 5 stars

115 South 2nd Street, PO Box 7200, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814   |
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spokane Valley, Washington
“Started out wrong finished strong.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We visited the CDA Resort for the weekend of November 9th, 10th, and 11th, for the Weekend to Remember Family Life Conference. We have lived in Spokane for several years, but have never stayed at the CDA resort so we were excited. So after making arrangements for the kids and a relative we take care of, we headed to the resort. It was cold, snowy and there was a lot of traffic. We pulled into the resort, the lot attendant said as part of the conference we could us the valet parking at no additonal charge. We have stayed at some very nice hotels. We were shocked when the valet stood there and said "I'll wait until you get your bags out.". And then stood there waiting for a tip. Then the bell hops weren't available either so we dragged our luggage across the building to the check-in. There were a lot of people checking in for the conference. When we got to the desk a young lady named Teal assisted us. Besides the conference it was also my wife's 40th birthday. A reservations person named Laura had promised us a room upgrade. I asked Teal about this and she didn't really say yes or no on the upgraded room. We got our keys and headed up to the room. The room was tiny, with mirrors from floor to ceiling on one wall. A tiny bathroom with just a shower. We were promised a nicer room with a bath and fireplace for our weekend. It felt like a college dorm room. We went back downstairs, waited in line and told them we were not happy with the room and wanted the upgrade promised. They said they only had one room available with a bath tub. It was late we were tired, so we said okay. We got our keys and went to the room. Decent size room, but two full beds. So for the first night of the weekend, we got to sleep like Ozzie and Harriet or Lucy and Ricky in separate beds. Also all of the this running around made us late to the opening of the conference. We had a great night at the conference. We went out with some friends from appetizers after. Appetizers at Whispers were great. Drinks were obscenely expensive. $16 for Grand Mariner. We got to our room and fell asleep, we even put ear plugs in. In the middle of the night the heater came on. Old heaters start to pop and crack when they first come on, but this popping went on for several hours. We didn't get hardly any sleep.

Day 1, not so great.

The morning of Day 2, we ordered coffee and pasteries from room service, got ready and headed downstairs. While my wife headed to the conference, I went to talk to someone at the frontdesk about our noisy room. I asked to speak to someone in charge and spoke with Chelsea a supervisor. She was so nice. She listened to all of my concerns. I was really only asking for a fan for the next night, assuming they had no rooms available. She said we have room for emergency purposes only. I had to head to the conference, she said to come back in between our sessions and she would take care of us. Later, a bell man, met us at our room. He assisted us with our bags and we got in the elevator. He pushed the button for the penthouse. How cool! Beautiful room. Larger than some houses. A full panoramic view of the mountains and lake in a living room that could probably hold 50 people. There was a dining room, tv room, nice bedroom and an insane bathroom with every ammenity you can imagine, including a heated, automatic opening, heated toilet. They also sent up a bottle of champagne and orange juice for mimosas, complimentary. It definitly compensated for our first night. The room was so nice we cancelled our reservations at Bonsai Bistro and stayed in the room. We slept really well and for the first time during the weekend, really felt like we were on a getaway. It is just a shame that two nights were so different. One night just like a number and the next like the king and queen of the palace. I think everyone in every level or room should feel the same level of customer service. The way we felt when we went to the Davenport for our anniversary. Every level of personnel was attentive and immediately responsive to any issue. Not sure if or when we will stay at the CDA resort again, but we had a fantastic second night. If you are deciding between the CDA resort and the Davenport for a romantic getaway, unless you give you the Penthouse suite for $109 a night, I would go with the Davenport. I will say in closing that the food was superb at Whispers and the Dockside and our room service meal (Prime Rib, Salmon).

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentary room upgrade when reserving the room. If you don't get it or your not ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your detailed review of The Coeur d'Alene Resort. I have informed the bell/valet department head of this unacceptable performance, and I can assure you this behavior is not customary at our property. The Weekend to Remember Family Life Conference is a favorite to come to for locals and visitors alike. Since this convention is focused on couples, our king beds are in high demand and we have adopted a very strict procedure of “first come, first serve” over the last decade or so that Family Life has come to our property. Our staff spends hours checking and double checking that those who booked the earliest, get the king beds. If anything different was communicated to you I apologize. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and the mimosas and that it helped to turn your stay around. I can only hope that you will come back to our property and give all of our departments a second chance.

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I spend the weekend here for a quick weekend get-away, and it was our first visit to the property. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a room facing the lake, which was beautiful to wake up to - snow covered hills and crystal clear water. The room had a large sunken living room with a balcony, two beds (they were out of kings during our stay), a huge bathroom, and plenty of storage space space. The room was larger than many apartments! Our only complaint we had regarding the room was the mattresses - they were so soft and unsupportive, and just felt old. Neither of us slept well, and were disappointed with the quality of something as simple as a mattress. For a fun treat, order dessert from the room service menu - the portions are gigantic and you won't be disappointed! Overall, we would recommend the property.

Room Tip: We recommend a room with a lake view - even though it costs a little more, the ambiance is worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor.com. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, but it disappoints me to hear you did not sleep well! In fact, we take great pride in our mattresses and usually hear nothing but good things about them. Myself and the staff here at The Resort would appreciate a call to inform us of the room you stayed in so the mattress may be replaced. Thank you again.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a beautiful room on the 10th floor with a step down sitting area and a fireplace. The view was amazing both from the bed and the couch. The lobby was a great place to hang out with friends and be able to get a drink or a coffee and connect as well. Large fireplaces and firepots all around quaint little sitting areas. We enjoyed Dockside Restaurant as well as the nicer restaurant on the 7th floor. The bathroom could have had a larger shower with more glass to keep you warm, but other than that, it was a great hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in Northern idaho. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and our potential, future Guests. Come visit again soon!
Boise
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Resort has been remodeled. I stayed there 25 years ago and have stayed there for a 3 day conference this fall and it has only gotten better. The rooms are excellent, the food outstanding and the service impeccable. All of the restaurants have excellent food and you can walk around the waterfront and look at the boats and the beautiful lake. Clearly one of the most beautiful spots in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for returning to our property after all those years. We are glad to hear you enjoy the remodel and share our love for the beautiful Pacific Northwest. We hope to see you again, and hopefully sooner than 25 years from now!
garden city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Came here on business with my husband for a convention. Thought there would be times I might suffer from being bored but no so. First of all we had a beautiful spacious room with super comfortable beds, spacious modern bathroom, living area with tv and fireplace, and a balcony with furniture all our own. The room was so cozy and spacious I felt pampered! The well stocked mini bar and the nice robes were a nice touch. When I could tear myself away from the room, there was a common area with tables and sofas and chairs where I could rest near the fireplace and shops that I enjoyed looking through. I loved the fact that we were treated royally. There was valet parking in a nice covered garage. A very nice staff to greet us and friendly front desk personnel who addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. every time. Not your popular and oh-so casual "guys." (I'm so tired of that and besides I'm not a guy) The housekeeping dept. must have know when we left the room because our room was promptly cleaned and spic and span for our return. (In a super detailed way. You know..like on a cruise where they fold the toilet tissue in a little 'V'. ) They were so accommodating I felt that they surely must have mistakenly thought we were family or some VIP. Even the maintenance crew and others I couldn't identify, spoke to us in elevators and in passing. Just can't brag on this place enough and when I hear my husband is coming back here I will be on his arm every time!!! Oh, one more thing. I'm a just a regular gal and I love to eat popcorn at night regardless of where Im at. When I requested a microwave, it was placed in the room with no questions, no attitude and no turned up noses!

Room Tip: I would choose the rooms with a lake view and a fireplace, every time. Very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your flattering review of The Coeur d'Alene Resort. It thrills all of our staff members to hear such positive feedback. The service you received is what we strive so hard to accomplish with every single one of our guests. Hopefully you will get to return soon whether it is for pleasure or business!
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had awesome service while staying here over Memorial day weekend. Great view, awesome restaurants and the staff were all very helpful.

Especially the assistant manager at the resort, I think her name was Chelsea. She made sure we were comfortable with our stay along with advice on activities to do around town.

One of the best resorts out there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm about your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you in the near future!
Crowsnest Pass, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were delighted with our bayside view of the lake, marina and dock promenade. We enjoyed a stroll along the property and beachside park. In addition, interesting shops can be accessed through an overstreet covered walkway. Our suite, with its scandinavian-style furniture & decor was compact and efficient yet comfortable and also featured a very compact lake-facing balcony. Fine dining in the Beverlys restaurant --- while the meal was enjoyable and service was pleasant enough it all seemed rather mechanical,if you know what I mean. Parking is in an attached parkade but it is quite a hike dragging luggage from vehicle to reception to our room. Next time, will opt for valet parking which is available. Loved the room-service breakfast, complete with scattered rose petals! We would certainly return if opportunity affords.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review on TripAdvisor.com. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and loved the time you spent here with us. Hopefully we will see you back again soon.

Been to The Coeur d'Alene Resort? Share your experiences!