“An excellent surprise in downtown Boise!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Direct and Save 10%
Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Boise
Phoenix, AZ
“An excellent surprise in downtown Boise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

What a unique hotel, something I totally did not expect in Boise! I loved loved loved my room. During a week long road trip through Oregon and Idaho, this was my favorite room of our vacation. Extremely clean, pleasant and wonderful staff, comfy bed, funky decor, but the best part - the bathroom! I was so happy to find Aveda products waiting for us, and the shower has the water come down from above - delightful. Bagels, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh jam and coffee await the next morning. If my travels should even bring me to Boise again, this is where I am staying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The Modern Hotel has a great location close to downtown offices and easy walking to restaurants and shopping. This former motor hotel has been turned into a funky and hip spot to stay. I was upgraded to a king size room which had all the necessary amenities including a wonderfully comfortable bed, flat screen tv and nice sized bathroom with Aveda products. There is an onsite bar/restaurant with outside seating and gas firepits for guests and non-guests that did get a little noisy in the evening. If you are an early to bed person, you might want to ask for a room away from the patio. Complimentary continental breakfast with fresh squeezed orange juice is offered in the morning. The staff is just great and provided a right-on dinner recommendation (The Red Feather) that was a 10 min walk. Despite traveling solo, I felt safe walking around the downtown area and everyone I met was super friendly.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
milton keynes, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

One night stay in Sept , the Hotel is located very close to downtown/shopping and is very distinctive. On arrival it looked a little dull from the outside, but the rooms make up for it. Apart from there being no view of any interest from either side due to the location, the rooms are modern, clean and very well appointed with walk in shower, large TV, ipod charger, very comfortable bed, free wifi. But no safe for some reason. The bar was lively in the evening, and the free bagels and coffee in the morning were good. From a tourism point of view there wasn't much to see after one day, but I'd have been happy to stay longer at the Modern. Highly recommended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010 via mobile

Usually when I travel for business I stay in Marriot properties. I always make an exception when I go to Boise. This is a very cool downtown hotel. Good restaurant choices in the area, very nice rooms that are clean and well maintained. Nice coffee bar in the lobby. Very friendly staff. You won't get loyalty program points for your stay but it's worth it for a unique experience.

• Stayed October 2009
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

In line with most of the previous reviews this is a great place to stay: handy for downtown; very clean; very comfortable, friendly/helpful staff, and a nice departure from the normal chain hotel/motel with its unique style. I would stay there again without hesitation.
That said, they did put a mistaken mini-bar charge on my bill at check-out. I know I should have checked at the time but, never having used the bar I didn't see the point. I noticed the charge that night and called to query and was told it would refunded. Over a week later it still hasn't shown up. Now, it's only $5 so it's not a big deal and I'm certainly not going to make an international call chasing it up, but having had what I hope was a genuine mistake highlighted to them, they should have been better at correcting it.
Don't get me wrong, though - you should still stay there - just watch the bill.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had all of our out of town guests stay at the Modern Hotel for our wedding at the Linen Building this past August and of the all the decisions we made for the wedding, this was by far the best one!

The Modern Hotel and Bar turned into the backdrop for the whole weekend. Our guests mingled on the intimate hotel patio and in the Modern Bar before and after all the wedding events. Some of our favorite wedding memories were from the after party and morning breakfast gathering where guests laughed and told stories and reminisced.

Our guests have raved their experienc ever since. They loved the clean and spacious rooms, the fantastically comfortable beds, the beautiful bathrooms, the creative cocktails, the relaxed atmosphere, and the personality and history of this unique hotel.

The staff could not possibly have been more helpful or more friendly. They helped our guests plan sightseeing tours all around Idaho and went out of their way to make sure everyone was comfortable and felt welcome. As a busy bride, it was wonderful to know that our guests were in such caring and competent hands. A special thanks to Michal, Polly, and Remi for all they did to make this a very special weekend.

The Modern Hotel is the perfect size (~35 rooms) for an easy reunion. It's location across the street from our wedding venue (also the site of farmers markets, craft shows, art galleries), down the street from an excellent coffee/breakfast place, and walking distance to the heart of downtown Boise made it the absolutely perfect place for our guests to stay.

We'll never forget this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the Modern Hotel in Boise for a friend's wedding nearby.

1st night I stayed by myself in a 2nd floor suite. I thought it was worth the extra $$ and would've stayed in it both nights, but suites were all booked up. I loved the tub and the extra space including 2 TVs, a dining table and kitchenette. It was cozy, clean, and had a hip, mid-century modern feel which I loved (well, the whole hotel has the same cool vibe).

2nd night my spouse flew into town and we stayed in a basic king room. Smaller, but still very comfy. No tub, no dining table or kitchenette. I looked into one of the queen rooms and it was a little too small for my taste, but for most people would probably be just fine.

Pluses....staff are SUPER friendly and helpful (and the boys that bartend are mighty cute...mmmm Eric I think his name was...quite the eye candy). The location is walking distance to tons of cute restaurants, shops, and the fantastic Saturday Farmers Market. FREE wifi. A sexy outdoor lounge area with little fire pits....romantic and fun. Yummy continental breakfast with super tasty jam and tea in your own little kettle...again for FREE. NICE quality towels. Cute balconies off a few of the rooms which looked very nice to chill on. Hmmm...and again the lovely tub in the suite (which comes with a small jar of bath salts...nice).

Minuses (and I'm stretching a bit here)....the showers are huge but don't have any storage shelves for shampoo, etc. Decent Aveda bath products, but no body wash (just a tiny bar of hand soap) and no body lotion (I said I was stretching a bit). Very MINIMAL soundproofing between rooms...heard a bit more than I planned on from my "neighbors" and you can also hear the lounge up until about midnight as well as a bit of street noise. The cleaning smells are a bit much....would be lovely is they could use something a little less Motel 6 smelling or something with no smell at all. Best for couples/friends/singles...wouldn't be so fun with kiddos (but I like that part). AAH...a little outdoor spa and/or small pool would be SO nice here!

I travel a lot and am super picky (def. a Four Seasons, Aman, W hotel kind of girl) and I really enjoyed this little Boise *gem* of a hotel. Check it out next time ur in Boise....it will not disappoint.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Modern Hotel and Bar? Share your experiences!