“Great, fun spot in Boise” 5 of 5 stars

You added Modern Hotel and Bar to your Saves list
Modern Hotel and Bar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1314 Grove Street, Boise, ID 83702   |
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Boise
“Great, fun spot in Boise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our night at the Modern was great. I can see that it could be noisy on a weekend with lots of people out and about, but we had a quiet night. Loved the bar and had drinks during happy hour. Breakfast (good bagel, fresh juice and granola) was great and quick. Room was cool with a great shower. We would definitely stay here again. Seemed like a good deal to us - and easy to walk downtown for art walk and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here for a business trip.

The room I had was constantly too warm. I kept the window open each evening to cool the room down. The heater was impossible to figure out; the fan was constantly on and blowing out boiling hot dry air. The heat/ac units in the rooms need to be updated. My co-workers had a similar experience.

The shower is an overhead with a half glass panel for a 'door'. The shower needs a door. This type of shower looks great in pictures. But the functionality is not successful.

The only available outlets next to the bed are hidden behind the mattress on the bed. The placement of the power cords and power strip appear to be a potential fire hazard. The bed was decently comfortable.

My room was horrible for light from a street lamp out back. The room was also next to a stair case, so I had the pleasure of listening to people come up/down the stairs and drag their luggage.

The first and last mornings a dump truck emptied the dumpsters, located right outside my window, at 5 in the morning. I desperately needed the sleep…

Good things:
This place has a GREAT bar. Drink here. I did not try the menu, but the food looked fantastic.

Breakfast was ok. I enjoyed the yogurt… but the yogurt was gone by the time I made it to breakfast the first morning. I do not care for bagels, but I was stuck with eating a bagel.

The rooms are very clean. The people are friendly.

Room Tip: If you see the dumpster out your back window, change rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This review is really just for the bar, as we have not stayed overnight in the hotel. Fantastic, artisanal, work-of-art cocktails not to be missed. Pricey but worth it for a special night out. The bartenders take pride in crafting one of a kind drinks often based on vintage cocktails and utilizing local ingredients when possible. Try something with a cherry--nothing like a maraschino cherry but rather a home-preserved, spiced black cherry. Delicious, if only life were like a bowl of these cherries... Also have a small variety of nice wines and beers. Various appetizers we have tried have not disappointed. Patio and bar alike are chic, minimalist, and an appreciated option for when the lounge is cram-packed. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sun Valley, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are a little eclectic, very clean and charming, the bar is delightful in the evening, the location in downtown Boise is close to everything. Staff is friendly and helpful. The only reason I didn't give it the highest rating is because breakfast is a bit pedantic. Although the homemade yogurt is delicious...the same meal (bagels, yogurt, coffee, juice, granola) every morning (we stayed 3 nights) was tiresome. Fun place, though!

Room Tip: Our street-facing room was noisy at night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I frequent Boise overnight and were tired of the Hampton Inns. I happened to see an advertisement for the Modern Hotel and took a chance to stay there. As we pulled up, it looked like we were staying at the motel where MLK was shot. We were pleasantly surprised it was not. However, I was not pleased that when I arrived and asked to be on the second floor that the front desk clerk manager told me that the room I booked cost less and there would be an additional charge. That charge was $10.00. Was that a charge she could have eaten? I think so. I'm coming back to Boise next week and looked to book there again, but the cost this time was $165 a night. It is not worth $165 plus a night, so I chose someplace else. I'm not a fan of hiking room rates when the basic accommodations don't warrant a price increase

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a unique hotel. It's completely modern furnishings. I'm not really a modern architecture guy, but even I appreciated the unifying theme. The rooms were clean, spacious and well furnished. My room had the biggest shower I've ever seen, it could have easily accommodated 5 people! The menu is excellent. Evidently the owner is a French citizen and chef who moved to Boise many years ago, and the menu reflects that French influence. My only criticism is that the "Restaurant" in the evening is actually a "Bar", so my minor son was not allowed in there for dinner, although room service is available. We ordered take out Chinese. This is not true for breakfast, just dinner. This always drives me crazy! I would invite the owner to reclassify the restaurant as a true restaurant so that tired, hungry, travelers can enjoy a sit down dinner. All in all a nice hotel, not a major chain, so you are supporting an independent business.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here on my first trip to Boise. We went for a girls weekend and were attending our friends' wedding reception as well. The location is excellent for taking in all of downtown. A short walk, albeit it cold in Dec, to many restaurants, cafes and shops. The staff was friendly and attentive. They were helpful and wanted us to enjoy not only our time at the hotel but in town. Free continental breakfast was great. It is continental, croissants, yogurt, granola, juice, coffee, but enough to get you moving in the morning.
I loved the more minimal style of the hotel, very pleasing and calming to the eye. My only negative is that the bathroom isn't really set up for more than two people. Adding a few more hooks and another shelf, would make it more useful and not take away from the aesthetic.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Modern Hotel and Bar? Share your experiences!