“Good stay for downtown Boise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner

You added Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Fairview Ave., Boise, ID 83702 (Formerly Doubletree Boise Downtowner)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Boise
Ogden, Utah, United States
“Good stay for downtown Boise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I were traveling through Boise to Eugene Or from SLC and needed a place to stay in the middle that was pet friendly. We decided on staying at the Red Lion downtown because it seemed like a decent location and they were a pet friendly hotel. Friendly may be a bit excessive to say, they are a pet tolerant hotel. When we arrived the "kid" behind the counter (must have been 18) wasn't the easiest to deal with. We had questions about our room and areas that we could take the dog to go to the bathroom and he couldn't answer any of them. When he asked for a government ID to secure the room, my husband handed him his military ID card and the kid told my husband he needed a real ID instead. Once we finally got rid of the kid the rest of the stay was nice. We got to out room which was on the first floor (nice for taking out puppy) and the room wasn't outdated and had comfortable beds. My husband didn't like the overabundance of pillows; he would have rather had fewer medium firm pillows than several soft pillows. There was a flat screen TV in the room that worked perfectly. We went to the restaurant in the hotel for dinner. It was NHL playoffs and my team was playing so I didn't want to make a big thing out of dinner. The bar/restaurant had a huge TV that I was able to watch my game on and the bartender took very good care of us. He made great drinks, although my expectations weren't very high coming from Utah. The food was so-so nothing to write home about but it gave us sustenance in our bellies to account for the booze we were drinking. I was disappointed that they didn't have a designated dog area that was fenced in, but they do have a grass island that was supposed to be the dog area. The potty bags that were offered by the island hadn't been filled, but we brought our own not expecting there to be any. The carpet in the hallway from our room to the pool area looked like it had some major water damage, but other than that it was a decent hotel for the age that it is. All in All it was a decent hotel for what we needed which was a stopover on a long drive.

Room Tip: First floor is great if you have a dog.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
It was a great pleasure reading the thorough review you wrote about our property recently. The points you addressed are very understandable and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention.

We do hope that you will come and visit us again.

Ken Kester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

A solid 3 to 3.5 star hotel in a great location only minutes from the heart of downtown Boise. The hotel rooms have recently been renovated with new furniture and a flat panel TV. The free Wi-Fi is fast enough to stream video. The fitness center has commercial grade equipment, and the bar is comfortable. The staff went beyond expected service to solve a problem I had when I had to check out one day early on a pre-paid stay. The Red Lion Boise is my hotel anytime I’m in Boise.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor in the main tower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your recent stay with us at the Red Lion Hotel Boise. We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. Exceeding your expectations is what we aim to do each and every time and knowing that we were able to achieve that for you pleases us.

We hope to see you again in the very near future and if there is anything we can do to help prepare for your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us directly.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Its my second time that I've stayed here and my experience was pleasant. The front girl even remembered me which I thought was pretty neat. The rooms are clean, they offer a free shuttle service to downtown (and I think the airport maybe too), they have a hair dryer, iron/ironing board, cable tv, wifi and work desk. I recommend this as a great place to stay at a good price close to downtown. FYI - use priceline for the best deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased that you had a positive experience.

Los Alamos, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were walk-ins and only stayed one night but we had a clean room (pillows were soft and fluffy) and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Very close to downtown and the price was right! We didn't check out the breakfast because we slept in to late. Check out was at noon which was super nice not having to rush out the next morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Richland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel was comfortable and the staff, for the most part, helpful and friendly. Lobby carpets were worn and soiled, the hotel in general is about ten years overdue for an update. Terrible coffee served in both the restaurants and for meetings.
Wifi access was good throughout the facility. Not a bad value for the price but not impressive either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience here at the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We realize that you can stay anywhere and we thank you for choosing the Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Baker City, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have used this hotel before as it is pet friendly, but was not impressed with the cleanliness overall. The room was okay except for coffee drips on the bathroom floor. It had not been cleaned properly. Just because you travel with a furry companion doesn't mean you give up cleanliness!

Room Tip: No breakfast provided. Menu seemed expensive for me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to extend my appreciation for the time you spent sharing your observations with me. I am truly sorry that you had a less than perfect stay. Please be assured that the items mentioned were investigated and corrective action was taken as necessary.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok here is the situation 99% of the staff were nice and helpful so I won't make them all go down for the one girl who was working the next morning. The rooms only have one open outlet which is really a pain for those of us that travel with more then one electronic. Our tub did not drain hardly at all, there was a burnt out light in the vanity (weird housekeeping didn't notice these things) the TV was a nice flat screen but reception was poor and the fitted sheets DIDN'T FIT! Subpar hotel and doesn't at all live up to Red Lions standards I wouldn't think.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 224 and it is directly above the entry to the hotel set back a little looked out my...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests. I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. I’m sorry that the room you stayed in had issue with the TV, bathtub drain, light bulb and sheets. Our Housekeeping manager and Maintenance are working on correcting the issues you mentioned at this moment.

I am truly sorry that you had a less than perfect stay.

Ken Kester

Been to Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner? Share your experiences!