“Clean Hotel, Great Bar, Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Fairview Ave., Boise, ID 83702 (Formerly Doubletree Boise Downtowner)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Free Night Offer
Ranked #17 of 56 hotels in Boise
McCall
“Clean Hotel, Great Bar, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a great hotel with a great staff. The review by CV titled :Characters Sports Bar" describes something that is unlike anything I have experienced. The regular bartender, Jason, is great. He runs a tight ship. My experience has been quick service with moderate wait times from the kitchen. Food is mediocre, as one expects from a hotel. I'm NOT paying 25 bucks a plate and 10 for a glass of wine here either. I'll take the food, which would even accommodate my friend that is Gluten Intolerant. I was impressed.

The overall hotel experience is above bar as well. The rooms are always clean, a big one in my book, and I'm picky. The front desk people are professional and friendly; the maid service is the same. Those maids need to be remembered when tipping.

Internet works throughout the hotel as well. This is a big peeve of mine. While you shouldn't expect to watch an HD Movie streaming, it will support most needs without shutting off or slowing down to the point of being useless. Too many hotels say they have WiFi but good luck even updating the apps on your phone. Not a problem here.

My only criticisms are that I wish the pool and spa were updated, that the breakfast buffet was included in the price, that the fill-in bartender is weak (but not down to that review's comments) and that the in room coffee sucks (like in all hotels). Why can't I get a decent pod machine in a hotel room?

I stay here at least once a year and have never had anything but a good time. Thanks to the staff at Red Lion Downtowner, you do a great job.

Room Tip: The twin beds in the tower have great balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor and recommend our hotels to others! We appreciate that very much!

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Red Lion 4/10 through 4/14. I was also at Characters Bar on Friday evening, 4/12/13, playing pool. I saw CV and her husband behaving poorly and treating the staff with disrespect - I honestly expected more from people who frequent a hotel like Red Lion. Had I known that Joe Dirt's parents would be there then I would have stayed at a Motel 6 to be around a higher class of people. That Friday night was extremely busy and the bar staff, especially the bartender, provided excellent service to me and my friends despite having to keep up with a full bar. The bartender probably had 200 credit cards to process that night, so simmer down CV - Judging by the way you treated the staff, it is apparent that you have never worked in the service industry. This bartender on Friday night remembered what all of us were drinking and made us laugh. I will make sure he is still working at Characters Bar before I make reservations at the Red Lion in Boise again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The worst service to match the worst food I have ever had in Boise. We went to Characters last night for dinner and drinks. The cocktail waitress would make eye contact, then turn her head as though we were not there. Apparently it was not her section. The bar-tender had to come out from behind the bar to wait on us - once. Every other interaction required us going up to the bar to order, including dinner. The food was burnt, but no one came back to our table to see how the food was, or even to see if we wanted another drink. Isn't that what they are in business for? My husband waived his hat in the air to get the cocktail waitress attention and she mocked him by waving her arms like wings. We gave the bartender our credit card to pay our bill, he put it in his front shirt pocket, then forgot he had it. I had to go back to the bar again (5 times now) and ask for my credit card. His reply...."Oh, that's right, I have your credit card don't I?" I cannot believe they charged us $50 for bad service and burnt food, then tried to keep our credit card too!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RL828, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent visit to Characters Sports Bar. We take all customer issues very seriously. I'm sorry to hear our Characters staff did not provide you with the expected service you and I desire. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience in Characters any further. Please accept my apologies and I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you directly soon.

Sun Valley, ID
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I'm not sure what happened to the previous reviewer but we had a very pleasant say at the Red Lion. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Boise but we were travelling with our dog so we decided to give the Red Lion a shot (I'd had a horrible experience there a long time ago and had avoided it ever since). We're glad we did!

The staff was very pleasant and accommodating and they were very nice about the dog. The hotel is a bit older but the room was clean, quiet and comfortable and they put us at the end of one wing right next to the designated dog area (really small but much appreciated!).

We liked the outdoor hot-tub - it was much nicer to be outside than inside at the Hampton Inn pool area which can be crowded and loud.

Its an easy walk into the heart of downtown and an inexpensive cab ride back. We were pleasantly surprised by our stay and I'm sure we'll be staying again, even without the dog!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our property and your time with us. We value the input of all of our guests and are very pleased that you had a positive experience.
We do hope that you will come and visit us again and if there is anything we can do to assist you with your next reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Island Park, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Came to a conference and they had check in issues not having room ready at 3PM, they system went down and couldn't assign rooms. got to room and no internet. Frustrating when you are working away from the office. Staff was really goo at trying to handle the issues so kudos to them.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that tend to have better internet access if this is important to you. I was told that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for providing helpful feedback regarding your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our guest rooms and staff, but I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you had checking in and with our internet service. We take all of our guest’s comments seriously as they assist us in providing better service. We hope you will be staying with us again so we can prove our ability to exceed your expectations.

Mccall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have stayed here before and loved it. The problem with this stay was that we had our children. The rooms that have enough beds are way to small to have kids in. I went to the front desk to ask for a crib and the women working that night was extremely rude. When I did finally get the playpen bed, the mattress was so stained and disgusting I was not going to have my daughter sleep until I got a sheet for it. I called the front desk and asked the same lady for an extra blanket. She rudely told me they do not have any extra sheets or blankets. I said your kidding, I just need one for my baby and she said she couldn't help me. I had to take the sheet off my bed to cover the mattress. What kind of hotel doesn't have an extra blanket for a baby!!
Friday afternoon when we checked in we were greeted by a very friendly women. Hopefully they will re-evaluate their staff and get more people working like the one that greeted us! We will give this hotel one more try, when we do not have our children, and hope that the women no longer is working there.

• Stayed April 2013
I would like to extend my appreciation for the time you spent sharing your observations with me. I am truly sorry that you had a less than perfect stay. Please be assured that the items mentioned have been investigated and corrective action was taken.

I do hope that you will come back and visit us again and if there is anything I can do to assist you with your next reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Twin Falls, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Spent two nights here, almost no complaints. Front desk staff - Friendly, helpful. Rooms - Clean, refreshed (it is an older hotel), quiet, very comfortable. Food - Surprisingly good, and service was excellent.

I spent a weekend here for recreation and a little business. Gotta say, I was impressed. I've stayed in several hotels in Boise, this one stands out. Great room, nicely furnished. Flat panel TV (though I will comment, no HD channels - Probably the cable providers fault, but HD channels would be a nice upgrade).

The food services really surprised me, I wasn't expecting much. I had two opportunities to try their food. First was a Saturday night, around 11:00PM. I wanted some food and a night cap. Their bar area is very nice. They had one bartender on (John), no other floor staff. They got slammed while I was there, but John worked his [--] off in the most professional way. Everyone was happy. I had the Fettuccine Alfredo with house salad. We're not talking 5 star restaurant, but they REALLY surprised me on quality and taste. I opted for room service the next day, Steak and eggs. Steak was cooked to medium (per order), eggs were right on, and the hash browns were excellent.

For the nightly cost, this hotel was more than well worth it. It's location location is a -little- rough in the neighborhood, but I think it makes up for that in quality. I WILL be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We are always thrilled when we are able to exceed the expectations of our guests. In this economy and time, we realize that you can stay anywhere and your feedback allows us the opportunity to address any concerns there might have been so we can continuously work towards creating a positive experience for all our guest.

We hope to see you again in the very near future and if there is anything we can do to help prepare for your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Ken Kester

Been to Red Lion Hotel Boise Downtowner? Share your experiences!