“Nothing Better in Boise” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #303 of 612 Restaurants in Boise
Cuisines: Chinese
Boise, Idaho
“Nothing Better in Boise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

No wonder this locally-owned restaurant has made the Best Chinese Food in Boise for six years running. Food is served quickly, hot and perfectly seasoned. I have been eating here for most of my life and it is consistent. I crave the fried rice as it's simple, flavorful and not greasy. I also order the Kung Pao chicken, extra spicy and we tried the Chicken Chow Foon this time with rice noodles - very good as well. When in need of a Chinese Fix, you've gotta make a trip to the Golden Star as I drag friends in and they continue to frequent it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boise
“Long Time Boise Establishment - Okay but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Funny to read the reviews on this restaurant which has been in Boise as long as I can remember. Based on our most recent visit, I'd evaluate it as neither as bad as portrayed by those who hate it nor as good as those who love it.

The food tends to be the "average" Chinese food prepared by restaurants that have been around for a long time so its probably most appealing to people who are used to that taste. Not very imaginative, but certainly acceptable. Portion sizes allow take-out for next day's lunch.

The ambiance, likewise, is reminiscent of the older style Chinese restaurants with dark interior and oriental décor. Service for our visit was average to above average.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Henderson, Nevada
“We can't do Chinese anywhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

No matter what, whenever we visit Boise, we have to eat at the Golden Star at least once. The barbequed pork and seeds are the best anywhere.

Visited July 2012
Central Point, Oregon, United States
“Best General Tao's Chicken Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Its been awhile since I've been to Boise but I used to have to get the general chicken at golden star at least once a month. Its what I order at every chinese restaurant i go to and they had the best I've ever had. I thought the fried rice was good too, the green onions really come out in it more than normal. Prices are average to slightly expensive, portions are below average, but that General Chicken tastes like Confucius would make.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boise
“Fresh and Flavorful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is a little local restaurant, tucked in a shopping mall that always serves delicious food. Their fried rice is very flavorful, the crab rangoon has quite a bit of crab meat and all their chicken dishes are not swimming in grease. We eat here often and really enjoy every visit.

Visited March 2012