“not a bad chain” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Boise, Idaho, United States
“not a bad chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had eaten at one in Napa Valley and it was just okay. When friends had suggested breakfast there we were not really thrilled, a friend had tried it right after it opened and was disappointed. We were pleasantly surprised, on my order they messed up and I got link sausage instead of the linguisa I ordered she apologized and shortly is was brought, a very large portion. The eggs were cooked correctly and the hashbrowns were some of the best I have had in Boise.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Boise, Idaho
“Children love the bears”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My granddaughters love this place with all the bear carvings. The menu is huge, prices are very reasonable. Service is a little slow, but that allows more time to enjoy the atmosphere.

Visited December 2012
Idaho
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I just went for lunch at Black Bear Diner today. I had the chili and then shared a mixed fruit bear claw. The chili was very, very good. It was pretty spicy. You could definitely tast the chili powder in it. They cut up fresh purple onions and put a bunch of cheese in it. I loved it. It comes with a nice sized cornmeal muffin. That was very good also. It had more of a sweeter taste to it, which I like. The bear claw looked so good, we had to try it. When you first walk it they are displayed in a case and you have to save room for it. It is so big you definitely need to share with two or three people or take it home to have later. It was delicious. They have blackberry, apple, mixed fruit and plain. They are very proud of the fact that they make everything fresh there and you can tell. Their menu is a lot like Cracker Barrel, but I feel they have a much better atmosphere than Cracker Barrel. They have carpet on the floor, they have booths instead of hard back chairs and tables and it's just a cozy cabin feel because that's what the decor is like. Not as loud as Cracker Barrel. They have great decor. They serve breakfast all day long which I love. Might need to try than next time. Pricing is decent. I paid $5.99 for the chili and muffin which is decent. I plan on going back. Rochelle, our waitress was so sweet. Only suggestion to Rochelle is maybe ask the customer if they would like seperate checks so you don't have to do it twice and offer boxes to take home instead of us having to ask for them. Other than that, she was very nice and helpful.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boise, Idaho
“Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Ate Thanksgiving dinner at the Black Bear. Neither my husband or I had the Turkey and the trimmings. I opted for a ribeye steak dinner and my husband had the steak and eggs from the breakfast menu. The serving sizes were HUGE! We both thought the food was very good. The service was excellent. They young lady that waited on us was very personable. Taking the time to check on us often and ask about our day. This was our very first full day in Boise after having just moved across the country. She welcomed us to her city with great enthusiasm. We also enjoyed how nice she was to an older veteran that was at a table near us. I think she made his day by just paying attention to him.

There's enough on the menu at Black Bear to keep us trying something new for quite some time. I would recommend this diner to anyone looking for a good stick-to-your-ribs kinda meal.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kuna, Idaho
“Not As Good As Expected:(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

When I went to the black bear diner it was not what I expected! The food there was mediocure and my cousin got food poisining. The service wasn't great and I had to wait a long while for my food to come. they left my cousins food on the window seal for about 15 mins. with the sun blazing right on it... thats how he got food posining. We went on a saturday and it was realitivly busy. It took a long time for us to get a seat. even though are whole family decided that we would never go back it wasn't the worst food I've tried..!

I have to admit though I did like their suspenders!:)

• Visited November 2012