“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 55 Hotels in Boise
Richland, Washington
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

While the lobby of this hotel is lovely with rich wood paneling and courteous doormen of a high-end hotel, everything else in the hotel is average or less. We were greeted at check in by a clerk who was in no way engaging or welcoming. She went through her task of checking us in with as little interaction as possible. The decor of the hotel was lovely until we turned the corner into our hall and were assaulted by horrid green doors, painted like a bad motel 6 - what WERE they thinking?

The rooms had new linens but dirty carpet and scum in the corners of the tub. Things went downhill quickly after entering the beautiful lobby.

The restaurant had WONDERFUL food and service.

Room Tip: 1225 faced the mountains and offered lovely sunsets. Even though it was right next to the ice closet...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Grove for four nights in May on business. My room had a great view (although I didn't have a view of the capitol - that would have been very nice), was very comfortable, with very good, personal service. There's an airport shuttle - you may have to wait 15-20 minutes for it, but it's very convenient and free. (There was a problem with the shuttle after I checked out, but the Grove ended up comping me a taxi ride to the airport.) The gym is wonderful, as it's an actual health club with complementary access for those staying at the Grove.

It's an ideal location in downtown Boise, with a Trader Joes kitty-corner from the hotel (and the Boise Co-Op isn't that far, about a 15 minute walk). The state Capitol is a seven minute walk away. There are some fine restaurants within walking distance, including some fine craft beer places such as 10 Barrel Brewing, Bittercreek Alehouse and the Front Door.

Downtown, is scenic - they've done some nice landscaping there, with a lot of trees. The downside of that is the pollen was horrible during my visit - several other people also mentioned that, and I'm guessing the City planted male trees. It does make for scenic running if you don't have allergies, though I didn't find any running or biking trails nearby.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We spent our first weekend in Boise for a wedding and this was the just hotel. We loved it. Perfect spot to explore downtown and enjoy the Greenbelt. Hotel and the amenities were good too. Shuttle service to the airport was a bonus. Wish they had water bottles in the room. Great gym. Friendly and helpful service.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I recently stayed at the Grove Hotel while attending my Granddaughter's High School Graduation. They have been updating the hotel and I wanted to try it. When I arrived they had a Comicon convention with very loud attendees. As a result, they offered me a high floor to minimize the noise. The room I was assigned was not completely updated. There were problems with the shower and the bathroom floor but there were no other rooms available in what they called quiet, business floors.

The first night of my stay, I had to call the front desk 3 times due to the noise level. I was up until after 2am. The next day I complained and they offers me a free night due to my inconvenience.

On the 2nd day of my stay I noticed that there was no safety bar in the tub or a slip mat. I asked at the front desk and they indicated they were not planning on installing safety bars but they would provide a slip mat. I used a towel to make sure that I had some kind of grip in the bathtub.

The 3rd day was my granddaughter's graduation and I was out most of the day preparing for her party. When I arrived at the Hotel they still had not provided a mat and I had no time to call so I took my shower. As you can predict, I fell in the tub. It took me over 5 minutes to get out of the tub. I was shaken and hurt.

When I went downstairs I told the desk what had happened, they were apologetic and said again they would provide a mat ( which they did)

I was so sore that night and the next day that I had to have a therapeutic massage.

They offered a voucher for 2 nights stay and a $50 discount. Not once did the manager call to see how I was doing or to do a follow up.

I am not a person who sues properties, however the actions taken and the lack of safety concerns at this hotel were unforgivable. I will not pursue legal action, I was sore but was fortunate that I did not break any bones.

I do not recommend this property nor will I ever stay at the Grove again.

Room Tip: you have other options in the center the Hampton Inn is great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here during winter but was really impressed with the hotel and its services.

The ground floor has a nice bar (which closes quite early - even for residents) and the rooms are very comfortable. I enjoyed my stay but had to venture out due to the early closure of facilities by the hotel....

Room Tip: Nice burger & beer joint two blocks away!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I enjoyed staying at this hotel (second stay) and love the location, which is right downtown, adjacent to the arena and close to lots of great restaurants. The hotel was undergoing renovations, so some folks in our party had to move rooms, which was a bit inconvenient for them. The staff is quite accommodating, though and very helpful. The exercise room is HUGE! However, they don't open till 8:00 am on the weekend, which is not convenient if you have early morning activities to attend. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Huson, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a convention. Checked in on a Tuesday. First impression was that it was a nice property, rooms were clean and comfortable, staff was polite and accommodating. Forgot that we had been told we would have to move into a different room on Friday. The hotel was in the midst of a renovation. At the lunch break on Friday, we got our new room assignments - which we had to go ask for, the hotel made NO EFFORT to contact us. Went to my room to pack up and workers had already been in there dismantling it. Packed up my belongings and went to my new room. The renovation of the new room had just been completed and the stench of paint, glue, new carpeting etc, was overwhelming. Slept very little the last two nights of my stay. To make things worse, they screwed up on the bill. I called to get it corrected, but as of this review, the correction has not posted to my credit card. The restaurant has high prices and marginal service as well. There are many very nice places to eat dinner near the hotel. Don't waste your time and money eating dinner there. Went in for breakfast 40 minutes before we needed to be at our class and it took 20 minutes to get coffee and the place was not even busy. Finally got our breakfast but didn't get a coffee refill until the waiter brought the check.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!