“Decent Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 55 hotels in Boise
Manteno, IL
“Decent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Picked this hotel because the Hampton/Courtyard was about $80 higher so I decided to try it. It is definitely an old high end hotel. It was very dark like the hotels of old. The rooms have been updated some and they have tried to modernize. The only real complaint was the mattress and pillows. Not like you find in most hotels of this caliber. The wallpaper is getting very old and dirty. I just do not think they went far enough in the renovation process. Staff is very nice. Very good value based on the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for our 32nd anniversary while vacationing in Idaho. Highly recommended- attentive, friendly staff. Weather was perfect, nice area to walk and explore. Ate at the Cottonwood Grill for our anniversary- Fabulous!!!! FlatBread, the Matdor and Bardenay, Pinnacle Bar are wonderful. Buffalo Wild Wings-great Jamacian wings and great place to watch the Patriots football game!!! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Great view of Boise State stadium
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We (there were three adults in our party) spent five nights here the first week of October. Overall it was an enjoyable experience. We chose this hotel because it was one of two full service hotels in downtown Boise and the only one that had suites plus great rates. The lobby décor was rather dated but cozy. The location was convenient to just about everything in downtown Boise, including some really good restaurants.

We had a tower suite located on the thirteenth floor, which is the top hotel floor. There are two additional stories which are private residences. The suite bedroom had plenty of space with two double beds (matresses need replacing), a large closet, a flat screen TV and a large window overlooking south downtown Boise. The living area had two overstuffed chairs, a couch that had a pull out bed, another flat screen TV, a desk and a large window overlooking east Boise. The kitchen area had a small sink, a compact refrigerator (not a mini bar fridge but one for the guest’s use) and a small closet. It was the perfect size for us. The one major drawback to the suite was the bathroom. It was not a small bathroom but a “tiny” one. There was no room to put anything. I made the mistake of hanging a personal item of clothing on the towel rack and housekeeping threw it in with the towels – never to be seen again. An overweight adult would be very uncomfortable in that bathroom. The tub/ shower combination had a type of spa tub which made the side of the tub higher than a regular tub and there was no grab bar, so getting in to take a shower was very challenging and an accident waiting to happen. Housekeeping kept the room clean and well stocked,

Parking was super convenient. We had the self-parking option which was seven dollars a day. We just took an elevator from the lobby down one floor to a single level garage. There were always plenty of available spaces. The garage is well lit and secure with an attendant on duty at all times at the only exit / entrance. We were glad we chose the self-park over the valet.

We had breakfast every morning at Emilio’s. The food was OK and the service was usually pretty good. The lobby bar was attractive and had very fair drink prices for a hotel. We encountered two bartenders during our stay – the male was great and we learned a lot about Boise from him but the female was rather unpleasant and we just avoided the bar when she was on. One of the things mentioned on the hotel website is the Zone sports bar which we were really looking forward to trying but the hotel staff informed us it is only open during the hockey team’s home games. That was disappointing to us and the hotel should update their website information. We did not use the fitness facilities.

.All in all, it was a good stay and should we find ourselves in Boise again we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

First...I want to say the staff was exceptional! Not only were they friendly and helpful, they went out of their way to make my stay perfect...thank you!

My room was comfortable and clean. The only negative, as somebody in a previous review had mentioned, the shower curtain set up...this should be modernized...to the new type showers...so the curtain does not sick to you when showering! It would make a big difference!

I used the lap pool, work-out equipment and sauna twice during my stay...was adequate, though the temperature could be warmer in the hot tub.

Overall, my stay was perfect...again...thanks to the great staff at the front desk (and housekeeping!).

Room Tip: Ask for one with a Capitol or mountain view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bedminster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Grove for a week in September 2012. He was there for business, myself for pleasure. We were pleasantly surprised to have a suite on the top floor. The room was superb! Comfortable king sized bed, lovely view from the picture windows of the foothhills, wet bar area with mini fridge, two flat screen tv's, spacious bathroom, a nice sitting area. The staff were always friendly and helpful. Every evening staff knocked on the door and gave us fresh ice without us asking. I used room service which was quick and delicious (cheese tray). There is a terrace on the 4th floor which is a lovely place to sit and relax and take in the view. The hotel is a great location, an easy walk to the Greenbelt, I was able to walk everywhere I needed to. The gym looked great, although I did not use it. My only negative comment was the pool. It was located in the gym - a lap pool with a hot tub. It just didn't meet my standards for a pool where I would want to relax at. I would definately stay at The Grove again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a wonderful view of the foothills. The 4th floor has some rooms which open to th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is stuck in the 1960! How can you be a downtown Boise hotel and not have the cable station that has Boise State football game on? What a joke! Plus for two days the pay for view movie station was out and it was not reported to you

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GroveLiane, Director of Sales at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Rich P -
I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations during your stay.
We must admit, the BSU game channel availability was a surprise to us. Our team had purchased the relevant channels needed from DirectTV for this season and we missed that channel change for the Southern Miss game.

I would like to offer you 2 tickets to the San Diego game to make it up to you! Please reach out to me at leastman@grovehotelboise.com to set up the details.

As for our movie channels, our Lodgenet system went down and unfortunately, we were unaware until guests informed us.

I look forward to talking with you further.
Best Regards-
GroveLiane!
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in a room with a king-size bed and it was a very nice large room with an easy chair/footstool, a nice desk, and a bench near the bed. Rooms also had mini-refrigerators. Signage in the hallways could have been better to help you locate the elevator - an overhead sign in the hall would be nice. It was fairly easy to plug in my cpap machine - I did have to move the mattress and unplug one of the bedside lamps, but the outlet was not too difficult to access. The lamp on the desk had an outlet in the lamp base - why can't motels have more lamps with outlets in the lamp base near the bed to help plug in cpap machines? Room temperature control was a little tricky, but eventually I got it adjusted to my preferences. The beds were quite comfortable, but the pillows were too firm and thick and I finally had to use one of the decorative pillows on the bed for a pillow. The bathrooms are remarkable small for such a nice room - the sink is not in the bathroom, so perhaps that is why? With such a nice room, I expected a larger bathroom. The check-in process was one of the most efficient that I ever experienced, especially for a first-time guest at a hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!