“Great service, wonderful quaint atmosphere, good food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Boise, Idaho
“Great service, wonderful quaint atmosphere, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had a wonderful experience. My wife and I went to celebrate her birthday. The service was excellent! The owner, a woman (can't remember her name) greeted us and was friendly. Our waiter, Michael was very nice and conversational, making our experience more enjoyable. We really liked listening to Adam Gottesman (sings on Friday and Saturday nights). He was crooning the classic standards, Frank Sinatra and a lot of other great stuff. We will definitely go back again. I thoroughly enjoyed the food, because the French have wonderful sauces on their dishes, but my wife had Salmon and the sauce was a little too rich for her. We had moved here from L.A. a few years ago and were looking for a nice French place. This compares wonderfully! Apparently you can go just to have a drink and listen to the entertainment without having dinner, so we might do that too! I highly recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Kuna
“Le Coq Rouge Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Exceptional food and service with no sign of white table cloths or stuffy atmosphere. It seems like no more than a dozen tables get served a night. People come at 7--and most tend to stay for two hours or more. No laminated menus, no written wine list. Food choices seem to change from visit to visit, the waiter has the wine list memorized or guests can get up and go select a bottle from a packed shelf display along one entire wall of the restaurant. Every dish I have ever tried was very good and choices range from beef and steak dishes to fish, chicken, seafood and pasta. Tonight they offered German food choices along with their more traditional dishes. Lamb shank and sauerkraut was delicious.

They could serve 24 tables a night by pushing the food out faster, they seem to have no interest in that and would prefer to take excellent care of a dozen parties in hopes they will spread the good word and come back (I am and I will). I should also mention there is live music on the weekends. It is mostly quite lounge type stuff, it definitely adds to the atmosphere. I don't know how they afford this level of service for such a small gathering on any given night. I do know if we all support them they may be able to keep it going...hats off to the entire staff.

michigan
“Quirky,fun,lively.........exceptional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This small out of the way restaurant is worth the visit. You can go to the wine shelves and pick your own or ask for a suggestion! Wines by the glass are excellent and reasonably priced! Food is well prepared but the salmon was over sauced . The lamb was the best I have ever had! Staff is friendly and knowledgable.
An added bonus was the excellent understated live music!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boise, Idaho
“A Perfect Birthday Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My girlfriend came to visit me from Boise and is in a quandry - her husband only likes fast food and grease. She never gets to try "fine dining" because he won't eat anything on the menu. She longed to try something she's never had before: French cuisine. Le Coq Rouge is about 5 miles from our home and was the perfect introduction to fine French food. We chose to dine from the prix fixe menu, and shared two different appetizers (artichokes and scallops) and two entrees (Prawns in a curry/black walnut sauce) and duck a l'orange. The look on her face was priceless as she gasped and giggled into her napkin until she was crying - she had wicked thoughts, along the lines that this was the best thing she's ever put in her mouth! I have to say that the dishes were huge for an indivdual - between the two of us we took home 4 take home boxes which provided dinners for a few nights subsequent. The curry was something she's never had, the prawns cooked butterflied in their shells were tender, not overcooked. Delightful! My duck was not greasy (I was hesitent to order duck since it tends to be fatty) and HUGE - an entire half duck was portioned on my platter, not plate! The vegetables alongside were perfectly cooked, as was a square of gratin potatoes. The dessert we shared (we HAD to have a dessert!) was lemon tart, as beautiful to look at as it was to eat - with REAL whipped cream which caused my friend to sob and giggle into her napkin again. She had no idea real whipped cream would taste so much better than Cool Whip!

I have to say that this is a wonderful place to visit on a special night...Wednesday through Sundays have a musician "Floyd" playing and he was a delight in his song choices, requests, and banter with us. Thank you for this joyous event - and she even got her "Red Lobster is Fine Dining" husband to commit to consider trying French food on another visit to Boise!

The dinner

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very nice relax place and great wine and food, the owners are so nice!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I love this place keep coming back there wine is so good, there food is fantastic, and the owners and co workers are so nice.