“Lots to do” 5 of 5 stars

Athens, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
“Lots to do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Camp, head to the beach/lake, ride bikes, hike, walk/run, cookout, swim, putt putt..or just relax! Whatever you decide, its a wonderful facility.

Winder, Georgia
“One of the better kept state parks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My family literally lives 5 miles from the park. We come frequently to walk and bike the trails and play on the play grounds. Both are very well kept. We also camp here with our travel trailer every cpl months and find that no matter where we visit we compare it with this park. With two camping areas just off the lake we have never had a bad experience here. The campsites are well kept, very tidy and spacious with picnic tables placed on small pebbles (helps with keeping ants and bugs off our feet while eating at the table), fire pits and even room for a tent. Restrooms are well kept and roomy yet could use a little updating. It is very peacful and realxing. You would never realize how close you are to malls and shops. We are very lucky to have such a great resource so close to home!

Visited October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Campgounds look nice, the other areas......not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We happen to live less than 20 miles from this Georgia state park. We met up with some folks to hang out at the picnic / beachy area on Memorial Day. Then, just before departing, we decided to drive around to check out the campground areas.

The good: The campground areas seemed well maintained and roomy. We actually bumped into an acquaintance who was out walking, and he informed us the fee was $30 a night. Hmm, I guess that's okay. ??? Some of the sites are right by a lake. It appeared a restroom / shower building had recently been built in one of the areas. If I had a camper, I might give it a try for a few nights.

I didn't have a bike, so I can't comment on the trails. Others here have, so check out what they have to say.

The bad: The picnic /beachy areas seemed like upgrading was needed SEVERAL years ago in every aspect. I realize Memorial Day was busy (and let me tell you, it was slammed- jammed packed full to overflowing), so everything was very crowded and the "swimming" area was most undesirable, in my opinion. I would think most regular days, however, it might be a little more pleasant.

This park is kind of in a suburban"ish" location, not far from the city of Winder, Georgia. It could be so much cooler if it had more attention given to its upkeep and modernization. This park does cater to the special needs population (Camp Will-a-Way and Twin Lakes camps), which is wonderful, but I believe it is off limits to us passers by, so I couldn't look at it and check it out. Maybe someone here in T.A. can give more detail about that.

Realizing the state of the economy, perhaps things just aren't being given "face lifts" as much as in the past, but we paid a $5 entrance fee, and by the size of the crowds, they hauled in a large amount of cash yesterday.

All in all, we had a fairly good time, close to home. I just would think twice before I brought out of town visitors. I might go somewhere else.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Yurt Village and Biking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed in the Yurt Village. We were in #3, which is at the end of the little peninsula that holds the yurts, so is the most private - no one walking by. It also is the only one with water on both sides of the site - a deck on one side and the gravel area that holds the picnic table and fire pit on the other. 2 problems with this site: far to the bathroom. You should also know that there is no water source at each site. There are 2 shared water sources for the village. Bring a bucket. There are canoes available for free in the village with paddles and life vests inside each yurt.

The Web site says the Yurts sleep 6, and though they are plenty big enough, they don't. There is a bunk bed (with a real mattress) with a futon sofa tucked under, another futon sofa, and a chair that folds flat. The problem is that the futon sofas don't have futons. Instead, they have 2 cushions of unequal size and no means to secure them to each other. It would be very hard for 2 adults to sleep on either of them. The chair would be impossible. To get a bed length would require the use of the two cushions on the chair and the ottoman, with gaps between. If you want to sleep 6, bring cots. The camp host sells firewood.

We were there Memorial Day weekend, so the swimming area was too crowded to fit a single additional person. We avoided it, though we canoed over as the sun was setting and had a nice twilight swim.

The best thing this park offers are the hiking/mountain biking trails. The combo walk/ride trail is about 7 miles long and easy enough for my 10 year old (with limited biking experience) to ride it albeit walking in a few spots.

3 attraction reviews
“Nice pull through large campsite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Camped 3 nights. Lot #28 in 2nd campground. Big park, great mountain biking trails. If need anything Walmart is approx 15 mins away.