“Adventure & Comfort in a tranquil setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Banning Mills

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitesburg
Historic Banning Mills
You added Historic Banning Mills to your Saves list
205 Horseshoe Dam Rd, Banning Mills, Whitesburg, GA 30185   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Whitesburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Adventure & Comfort in a tranquil setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an anniversary weekend at HBM. We loved it! The staff was excellent and we enjoyed meeting the owners, Mike & Donna Holder. I booked very late, so we ended up with a small cabin, though we would have liked one of the larger cabins or rooms for couples. We did check those out and they looked very nice. Our cabin though, was clean and comfortable, with a private balcony overlooking a scenic gorge (with the creek in the distance).

My husband called it the "Disney World" of zip-lining. The guides were great and funny and the lines were high; it was incredibly fun and scenic. The beauty of this area--with beautiful Snake Creek--really adds to the zip line experience. Additionally, the hiking is incredible; I wish we would have had more time for it.

We really enjoyed the food. We stayed two days and the breakfasts were different. The first day's buffet was fairly traditional, but they served us fresh eggs cooked like we wanted. The next day we had croissants, chicken patties and delicious chicken gravy--along with the eggs and fruit. We also had a romantic dinner which was very good. I loved the appetizer plate with cheeses, and fresh fruit. The Porter cheese was especially interesting.

If you want to get away into nature, this is the place.

Room Tip: Find a cabin or room with a good view of the creek--call if you aren't sure.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

You read that right. As a part of a week-long technical training bootcamp, I spent 5 nights at Historic Banning Mills. It was unlike any property I've ever visited, and it was simultaneously familiar and comfortable.

HBM, as they abbreviate it, houses guests in individual cabins and rooms which are cabin-themed. Mine had a very relaxing back porch complete with rocking chair overlooking a substantial creek. My room had a comfortable bed, my own whirpool tub, and the weakest Internet connection you can get while still claiming to have WiFi.

For leadership retreats, team-building activities, and weekend get-aways, this place is perfect. When not wandering the grounds looking for wireless signal, guests can hike the many trails or take part in some of the guided activities such as zip lining or trust building on the specially-designed courses.

Between classes and hikes, our group ate.... and ate... and ate... HBM provided us with ample supplies of food and snacks. Breakfasts were traditional American fare -- bacon and eggs with yogurt and fruit available. Lunches always included salads and desserts. Dinner options were presented at check-in. Options included salmon, steak, black bean burgers, and the crowd favorite, "Chicken & Waffles."

Every member of the staff I interacted with here was pleasant and welcoming. They sincerely care about their guests, even learning some of our names! On my last day, I even received a personal note from housekeeping.

PS: For those who are considering a Big Nerd Ranch training, Historic Banning Mills is an outstanding location for it. I have learned considerably in my time here, and I look forward to putting much of it into practice as soon as I get home. BNR provides outstanding training!

PPS: Watch out for the enormous spiders!

Room Tip: Ask whether your cabin is free-standing or part of a multi-room unit
Green Features: While it was evident that this location has environmentally-friendly practices, our group had to improvise its own recycle bin.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Orange, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed two nights in one of the log cabins. The location is peaceful and homey. The meals are delicious and the service is five star. We loved how we felt like family, not just two more guests. Although a little pricey, it is definitely worth every penny!!! We absolutely loved it and hope to return again! Thanks for the amazing stay and all the wonderful memories!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sugar Hill, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We spent our 28th anniversary at Banning Mills in one of their jacuzzi rooms over looking the creek. It was peaceful and comfortable. We did a little hiking before enjoy our wonderful romantic dinner and did the level 4 canopy tour the next day. It was so much fun, even though the weather was rainy. The staff was wonderful from check-in to check-out. The setting was just how I imagine it to be. We would like to return and bring our grown children and stay in one of their cabins, they looked very awesome. If you are looking for something different I would differently recommend Banning Mills.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Planned as an anniversary weekend. Arrived early and our room was already available. Did the level one zip line which was fun and took 2hours. Staff was very professional and safety first. My only complaint about the whole weekend was that we prepaid $14 for them to take pictures. That responsibility falls to the guides who are quite busy with keeping everybody zipping. The only pictures of us were some close up face shots ( we could have been in the parking lot). There was a picture of us as we were coming back to the ground at the end of the tour. Only about 5 feet off the ground. I cannot say enough good things about the food. They advertise a chef and I believe it. We had a prepared picnic basket and the romantic dinner. Both were exceptional. Breakfast was fantastic. We also had a couples massage which was very nice. It is a charmingly rustic location that lends well to relaxation. Room had a mini fridge which was nice. Guests are friendly, staff are well trained and focused on guest satisfaction. It would be great for families, couples or groups.

Room Tip: Stayed in the lodge. Basic room but includes breakfast. Breakfast is huge.
Green Features: This whole resort is Eco friendly. You feel good about being there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I hadn't been to Banning Mills, but having heard a lot about it, I decided to take an overnight trip to that area and spend the weekend at the facility and hike the trails. When making the reservation, the young lady I spoke with was very friendly and informative, and went further to explain some of the facility's ammenities and limitations. Although I did not participate in any of the zip line tours or programs, everyone on staff I met was very friendly and conducted themselves in a professional manner. The guides that I observed on some of the various elements seemed very well trained and related well with the participants. Communication was good between them, and equipment was kept organized. Having been associated with the High Adventure, ropes course and team building programs in the Boy Scouts, I can understand and appreciate the responsibility, knowledge and discipline these young men must maintain to accomplish thier jobs and ensure the participants have a fun and safe experience. The surrounding grounds, trails and nature alone are well worth the trip.

Room Tip: Chose a basic hotel room and they are just that, basic, but for what I needed they were adequate. Th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place is a one of a kind place that everyone should experience. I did not say "see" because you must experience what Banning Mills has to offer. I have taken my children there three times and every time they love it more. The zip lines and guides are outstanding. The ownership must select the best guides. The best part is that they are college age and are respectful, smart, and friendly, today that is rare! I can write all day about how great this place has been but the true measure is the smile on my children's face and the endless tales that they talk to their friends about!! Great Job Historic Banning Mills!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Historic Banning Mills? Share your experiences!