“Friendly hotel still finding its way” 3 of 5 stars

Promenade Hotel Tawau
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eastern Plaza, Jalan Kuhara, Mile 1, Tawau, Malaysia   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Tawau
West Sussex England
“Friendly hotel still finding its way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This rather ugly hotel is located some way out of the centre, meaning that taxis are required if you want to visit the reputedly superb sea food stalls in town (but there is a rank at the hotel). Rooms are modern and comfortable, with good air-conditioning to ensure a good night's sleep. The dining room has a nice terrace for a pleasant warm dinner on a balmy evening, with good simple food. The buffet breakfast is a bit basic, though the egg station will provide a nice omelette. Coffee and juice is below standard. The staff are generally friendly, but clearly unused to Western tourists. We stayed in an executive room and instantly made our way to the executive lounge for the cocktail hour, only to find it was closed 'this year', as the grim receptionist informed us. The lobby bar had one or two bottles of spirits with just enough left to provide us with a couple of gins. They had run out of lemon, and didn't stock tonic, so we strolled into the shopping mall next door and bought some of our own, plus a tube of Pringles, and happily consumed them back at the hotel bar. Wifi was obtained only after a team of experts were summoned to assist us (although it took no effort at all next morning at breakfast). This is a nice hotel, primarily for locals, and offers a bit of fun if you want to get away from the tourist trail for a night. It's also on the right side of town for the airport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Checked in after a nightmarish journey of 15 hours from Bangkok, had dinner, signed it to my room and then went to sleep at about 10 pm. At 1:00 am in the morning, a phone call, which when I picked up, no one said anything. Started to worry and then fell asleep. Then 10 minutes later, a knock on my door, followed by the doorbell. Scared me out of my own skin. As it turned out, it was a staff from the restaurant who told me I could not sign the dinner to my room, AND he had to collect the cash payment from me there and then. By then I could not fall sleep. Had to rise at 6:30 am to conduct training for the whole day for a client.

By lunch I decided that I should complain to the Manager in charge. This was one Mr Chai, the so called Resident Manager. When I asked for him at the front desk, the staff went into the back office, and then after 5 minutes, came back to say that he was 'out for lunch'. The staff might as well have told me "He told me to tell you that he is out for lunch." I told the staff I was very upset, and I wanted to speak to him, and left my number and requested that he contacted me. The coward never called back during my entire stay.

The sales person asked what I was upset about and I explained my unhappiness. Presumably, he went to inform the Resident Manager, because magically, by the end of lunch, the restaurant manager appeared and apologised profusely without taking responsibility, but instead blamed staff who had 'already been trained and told what to do'.

The staff are pleasant and helpful enough, but some of the managers here are most unprofessional and cannot be depended on to handle things. So stay away if you have important work to do.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Tawau hotels

Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

First time,my wife,my sister,her son and myself arrived at Promenade Hotel by the hotel´s bus from Tawau airport cost only RM10.00 per head and we booked a twin and a double bed-room,big and comfortable. Bathroom & toilet are very clean provided with slippers,comb,toothbrushes and etc. The buffet breakfast with noodles,porridge,nasi lemak,pastries and fresh fruits etc. The staff is wonderful and helpful and however this hotel is attached to a mall and cinera and there´s also a food-court on the LG floor if one wants to eat for lunch or dinner. On the whole,this is the best or presentable hotel which I can recommend in Tawau esp. when eating breakfast outside the balcony on 7th floor,the morning breeze and a bird´s eye view over Tawau is wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Two hours and forty five min. flight from KLIA to Tawau international airport plus RM 45.00 by taxi to Promenade hotel Tawau.Booked superior room rate RM190.00 and very satisfied with the room.The big room and comfortable king bed.clean bath room,good flow of hot and cold shower,any way the towel needs to be refurbished.The breakfast is good with fresh fruit and juices hot buffet and pastries.The hotel is attached to the shopping mall and cinema ,there's food court at the LG floor.There is no swimming pool and the room is not sound proof you can hear the tv from the next room .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed overnight x2 at this hotel on way to and from Mabul Island for our diving trip... Hotel is old...carpet, bath room tiles etc etc.. need to be renovated.. a bit far away from town.. catching a taxi was difficult (non existent) .. had to eat in the restaurant... quality of food was average... cost was reasonable.. Just order simple dishes.. u may enjoy it better.. ..
Plus side.. the bed was comfortable, room was quite big, linen was clean... .... Reception service was good but the staff at coffee shop were busy watching cable TV... just to order a beer took 15-20mins and had to ask a few times.... and the beer fridge was just behind the counter..
we were on the non-smoking floor but still the smoke smell lingered on.... ..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in Tawau on our way through to the islands. We were on a smoking floor which we didn't realize until we got up to the floor, which is a bit of a shock to our kiwi system. The hotel is on top of a mall which has everything you may or may not need. We ate a small restaurant selling all types of Asian cuisine... It was the BEST dinner we had experienced during our trip through Malaysia.
We had the buffet breakfast prior to leaving early the next morning which was more than satisfactory. Would stay again but on the non smoking floor.

Stayed October 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The setting of the hotel overall is nice. Contemporary decoration.

Got into the room, it was small. Moving around inside the room can be a hassle.

If you are hungry and wanted to have some late night snack, then have to go hungry. Even dinner place is not open till late.

Pretty limited in choice in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Promenade Hotel Tawau? Share your experiences!