“Good for 'sports', more guy oriented than girl oriented” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Durhamtown Plantation Sportsmen's Resort

Durhamtown Plantation Sportsmen's Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Point
Durhamtown Plantation Sportsmen's Resort
You added Durhamtown Plantation Sportsmen's Resort to your Saves list
2350 Randolph Church Road, Union Point, GA 30699   |
“Good for 'sports', more guy oriented than girl oriented”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Durhamtown Plantation on 11/4/2012 as a family. We brought 3 motorcycles and rented a small ATV for our 16yo daughter who's never ridden. Check-in was smooth and easy. We were invited to check out the ATV's before selecting one. Then we were handed the keys with a 'have fun'. I tried to ask the check-in lady for suggestions on easy trails, but no input was given. I have never visited Durhamtown and wish there had been more information on how the property is laid out, what areas would be best for us, what to expect. So let me share what I learned no others 'moms' can be prepared.
There are beginner trails, but I didn't figure this out until we were turning the ATV in at the end of the day when we happen to pass the sign for them!! Trails A,B and C are beginner. Trails C and up are harder and the riders....well they ride FAST!! We were in first gear and had to keep moving to the side to let others pass. The trails are very hard and bumpy and not nearly as 'wide' and fun as I expected. I think they are 'fun' in guy terms, but not girl terms. Fun to me means views, smooth, easy. Several trails (maybe P and Q) had obstacles to tryout along them (Monster Mountain...you climp up 25-30 feet to the top, then down the other side), MX5 course, Redlands (like a bowl for MX and ATV), But again, as a 'trail' rider, I was getting run over by the men/boys who like to ride fast and all out.
They had several MX competition tracks...one for PeeWees, several for next level, and one with big jumps for more advanced. My husband and son enjoyed these. It was fun to watch the very skilled riders on these tracks. There is a BMX track behind the registration area.
There is a LOT of dirt and dust blowing!! We were coated and had to wipe our faces a lot during the day. Bring your own food and drinks. There is a small restaurant on site, but we didn't buy there.
They have camping areas and 'cabin' rentals. Those areas are not 'pretty' or groomed. They again, are 'guy' oriented. Cabin's are small, like those outbuilding rectangle shaped things you can buy. So don't expect 'cabin in the mountains'. They offer hunting, and places to 'clean' your catch. Places to wash your 'toys'. A store with clothing, gear, some engine parts. On saturday nights they sometimes have a band play on the patio.
Good: It is affordable to families. It is well managed...staff patrols on the weekends to make sure people are not riding out of hand in crowded areas. It is laid out and organized where you check in and get rentals. Lots of space. A little something for everyone if you can find it.
Bad: not enough info provided to first-timers. So you can't get full enjoyment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Alto, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The cabin we stayed in were 2x4 homemade bunkbeds with thin foam matteress. We rented a cabin with a tv only to find out the tv has no cable, just vcr and dvd player. My husband wanted to see the game. The cabin was not clean and we almost left as soon as we got there. We had the cabin rented for 2 nights and only made it through 1 night. We took our Jeep and never even rode a trail. One park for 4x4 was closed most of the day because of deer hunting. The noise in the cabin with all the bikes was terrible and every time you opened the door dust was coming in. The toliet did flush about every third time....did not run over but came close. It was not for us. The pictures of lodge and cabins looked nothing like they did in person.

Room Tip: Take your own rv, do not rent from them.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had heard about Durhamtown Plantation on TV and since we were planning a road trip from Atlanta to Key Largo via Savannah, Georgia, we decided to make a stop. We were very glad we did and it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Coming from Hawaii, I was able to take care of all inquiries and reservations online. Their website was very informative and for all else, they were very accessible through email.

We decided to rent quads for 1/2 a day vs. a full day, due to time constraints. There were 3 of us, my husband, who has lots of experience on dirt bikes, myself and my step-son (who have some experience on dirt bikes). We decided to rent quads vs. bikes just to make it an easier ride, which turned out to be a good decision because, though the trails were well groomed, my step-son and I were braver going through mud-puddles and going up hills on the quads. Also, our quads did not even require the use of a clutch, which really made it easy for us. My husband used the one with the clutch.

All of the trails were fun with lots of beautiful greenery to look at and a little pond. Trails were fairly well marked with call boxes here and there. The staff were very efficient at check in and check out. Also, they have mechanics on duty that will come out to the trails to tow/fix, etc. We went during the week, but heard that they get very busy during holidays and weekends. They recommend booking at least 2 weeks in advance.

After riding, you must wash your bike before returning and the designated area is equipped with 2 pressure washers. Washing was fast and easy and so was the return.

They have a bath house available, which we used to shower and change before getting back on the road. The bath house was clean, with men's and women's areas separate, many showers, and many sinks and counter tops with outlets available for hair dryers, etc. It was well lighted and I had no problem putting on my make-up (good info for those girly girls). We brought our own towels.

It all worked out perfectly and we all had a great time. The 1/2 day went by so quickly, we wished we had more time.

We would recommend any one to go. It's good for all skill levels. Rental bikes came with helmet, boots and chest protector, they couldn't make it easier. Even if you just driving through town, like we were, it's an easy activity to stop for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We spent a week camping and riding at Durhamtown last week. The riding was awesome. I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650, my 17 year old son rides a Suzuki DR250, and my wife rented a quad. We are occasional dirt riders and found plenty of trails to our liking. Expert riders won't be disappointed either. We averaged about 60 miles of riding per day. The dirt drags are a blast! The staff at DP was awesome. Our only complaint was the primitive bath house at the campground. Having a popup forced us to use it, but next trip we plan to have a larger RV with it's own shower and toilet. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Let's start off by saying it isn’t about the rooms at DP - it's about the riding!

Our cabin was about $65/night, it was the Wolf Den 2 - it had two full sized beds, bathroom with shower, sink in the room, fridge, TV (bring DVD's!) and microwave. No Frills describes it, but clean and you just have to stay here...

Cell reception was poor and WiFi was really s-l-o-w...

Out front we had a picnic table and a bonfire pit. It was mint! We split it so only $35/night.

The food here sucks so bring all your own....sometimes no meals are served during the slow seasons and Washington is about 15-20 miles away. Bring lots of drinks, food, etc. To eat in town, Zaxby’s and Huddle House were both good, the Pizza Hut was the WORST EVER – do NOT bother!

You can buy EVERYTHING ELSE there - from gas to clutch plates to firewood to renting bikes/quads. You can do your laundry - $2 wash and $1.50 dry...both bike wash and laundry use quarters...

They have the best pro shop I have ever seen! And everyone was really really nice. I can't wait to go back again....

• Stayed March 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a great place for youre whole falmily to ride it has tings for youre children to do to and lots of trails and tracks to choose from. The sleeping arrangements are excellent. The cabins are WONDERFUL!! I come to this place often and the only plade i really ride at! this place is not just for riding its for hunting and fishing to! :) Ride at durhamtown!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I've been to Durhamtown Plantation about 3 or 4 times, and after my last trip i decided to write a review. If i remember correctly there are close to 2000 acres of atv/dirtbike riding trails, and 6 tracks. There's a mud pit and a dirt drag strip as well. This place is just awesome.
I can start off by saying that i am a minority and i was a little intimidated by the back woodsness of the area, and the heavy country drawl of the people that work there, I can however say that they are some of the friendliest people that i have ever come across. Everyone is super helpful, and super respectful. There are also medical staff always there just in case the unexpected happens (which did happen to my wife on one of our trips).
On another note Durhamtown also has cabins for rent, so if you want to make it an all weekend or all week even, there's no need to bring your own camper, you can rent one of theirs.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Durhamtown Plantation Sportsmen's Resort? Share your experiences!