“Worst place I've ever stayed in my life...and I travel alot.” 1 of 5 stars

Sandcastle Inn
1402 Butler Ave., Tybee Island, GA 31328 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Tybee Island B&B and Inns
Dallas, Georgia
“Worst place I've ever stayed in my life...and I travel alot.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I'll start by saying this hotel was not my first pick but agreed to stay here when my original choice over booked their rooms and my booking agency ask if I would be ok staying here. This trip was part business part pleasure - my wife drove down to meet me for a mini vacation. It was spring break and island hotels were mostly booked and rates jacked up. When I checked in the young man at the desk was ok to deal with but obviously hated his job and didn't care if I stayed or not. He took my credit card and charged all four nights upfront...I told him I would pay night to night but not all four nights. The place was so out dated that I ask him to show me my room before I would check in...which he did. Room was ok at first glance until bugs appeared later that night. Next morning I went to the lobby for their complimentary breakfast which consisted of terrible coffee, a few old pastries and a couple selections of cereal....it was pitiful to say the least. I was told the pool was closed due to the time of year even though they had no problem with raising their rates due to the time of year! The real kicker was the next day when I told the lady at the desk that I wanted to remind her (I emailed ahead of time) that my wife was on her way and ask where she should part her car...OMG ....she went off on me, saying she could not park her car on their property, that only one car per room was allowed. From there our heated conversation turned into a shouting match! Finally, I said I would go elsewhere and she said go ahead but I needed to go quickly because I was holding her up from renting my room out. We could not get out of there quick enough! We went across the street to the Dunes Inn & Suites and were welcomed with open arms, had a great room, lovely pool, nice breakfast and more importantly... great customer service!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I've noticed a lot of negative reviews about this motel and the staff. I have stayed here several times a year for the last 10 years. I have also stayed in motels all over this wonderful country of ours. First of all,when you go to a motel you have never been to before,"always ask to see the room before you waste anybodies time." Then you see what it's like. If you don't like what you see,go someplace else. My experience at the Sandcastle has always been a positive one. I have always had a good experience with the staff. Sometimes in life,we get as good as we give. The Sandcastle is not the Taj Mahal,it is a good motel in a great location with a wonderful staff. It is not new,and it is priced very competitive in comparison to others in the area. I love Tybee Island,The Sandcastle and The Staff.I would like to thank all of them for many wonderful trips to the area.David Wyatt.Statesville,NC

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Murrayville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was just ok the AC in our room was so old you couldn't set the thing so it was hot, cold, hot, cold all weekend but not a bad room a little noisy but...let's just say if it's the only place to stay fine but if another place is available id say else where

Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I fear I sound elitist but if there is visible evidence of water damage and the musty odor is so strong when you walk in the door that you need to get air freshener just to be in the room....you're better off sleeping in your car. Not to mention the girl at the front desk who obviously hates her job and the free "wifi" that is painfully slow, if you can actually connect to the poor signal. Oh yeah, add dirty towels, comforters that look like they are never washed, cigarette burns in the blanket, and a wobbly toilet to the mix and you get the picture.

• Stayed August 2013
Newnan, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had the same experiences as the others. We got there and it was 135 for the night. I walked in and immediately hated it. I went into the bathroom and the shower curtain had black crap all over the bottom of it and there was a toilet paper wrapper on the ground that looked like it had something in it!!! Also our Toilet paper had been used at some point, as it was ripped off like someone had used it. We were there as a mini vacation with my 2 year old son. I tried to get online and it took FOREVER to load because of poor signal. then my son found that the mini fridge was plugged in with a extension cord that was draped across the bathroom! We went to go to bed and there were NO fitted sheets!! you think for as much as they charge they could afford some fitted sheets! so we ended up on top of ALL the covers to sleep and freeze to death because the air is SO cold. I will NEVER EVER NEVER stay here again!! I would have rather paid 400 dollars for one night in a nice hotel and this hole in the wall. DO NOT stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep driving for your own sanity!!

Room Tip: the ONLY good thing is its right downtown and 2 football fields fro the beach. if there were negati...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

47jessical's review pretty much summed up our experience with this property. We didn't pay as much as she did, and having been to Tybee many times (though at much nicer properties), I pretty much knew what we were in for. It was good enough because I waited until very late to make the reservation for the weekend of the 4th of July and it was this or a property right down the street that isn't much better (EVERYTHING else on Tybee was sold out) so I chose the cheaper of the two. If had the choice, I would pay a few dollars more and stay at a much nicer condo.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach side are down wind of the neighboring property's garbage can and the room...
Covington, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We decided on a last minute trip to Tybee Island so we knew hotels would be scarce...however if you pay 202.00 a night you expect certain things no matter what. First we were told we had to stay 2 nights...so that means its was 404.00 to stay here...I dont mind paying that if I have a awesome room and a nice bed. That was NOT the case here. First off when you try to park...thats a joke, we had to squeeze into our space and it stayed that way the entire time we were there. Our room smelled like poop and the bathroom was worst. The bathroom is so small if I had been pregnant I wouldnt have fit at all. The tub still had sand in it from the guests before us. The bed were horrible looking and didnt even have fitted sheets...just a flat sheet layed on the bed to cover the mattress, the mattress was hard as a rock and when we looked we discouvered that it was sitting on a wooden box instead of a box spring. I hardley slept at all and we were worn out! The pool was a joke so we didnt even try it. In order to charge my phone I had to unplug the fridge so I guess there low on power too? My computer would not connect to the so called free internet cause the signal was so low! The ice machine wouldnt work and I was told maint. man wouldnt be ther etill 9 so I was out of luck. It was so bad here that we left one night early and went to Savannah and stayed in a clean nice hotel and let them have the 202 for that night. Now you know it was bad if we gave up and left. WHen I complained they didnt offer me anything at all...not a discount not even a drink for the road. I will NEVEr stay here again!

Room Tip: run for your life!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sandcastle Inn? Share your experiences!