“Where's the taste?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 48 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Savannah, Georgia, United States
“Where's the taste?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not sure why everyone is excited about shrimp, crab and sausage boiled in plain water. After it's on your plate, they sprinkle seasoning salt on the food. Gross! The shrimp are not able to absorb the seasoning. Maybe the crab shack should go to Kroger and buy some Zataran's crab boil and read the instructions!

Visited August 2012

Palm Coast, FL
“Dinner at The Crab Shack”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had eaten at the Crab Shack a couple of times several years ago; and, we couldn't wait to go back. While visiting overnight in Tybee Island, we went to the Shack for dinner. We were definitely disappointed in what we ordered. I ordered the half & half (shrimp and crablegs). The crablegs were well below supermarket quality. My wife ordered a shrimp salad. She was disappointed with it also. It was quite hot with spices. It is a tourist area; and, it was very busy. Maybe had we ordered the low country boil (which they are known for), we would have liked it better. The server then brought us another tabl's check whic was about twice more than our bill. We won't be going there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Somerset, Massachusetts
“The Crab Shack Tybee Island Labor Day 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Tybee Island was one of my chosen day trip destinations on my annual visit to HHI so off the plane and onto my first adventure of the week. Just forty minutes from Savannah Airport it was a delightful ride over the byways and marshes of the low country that I love. I had read about The Crab Shack a couple of years before and decided that was the place I was going to dine at this trip and dine I did.
So many choices and I wanted to try them all. This place is a little off the main road but there is adequate signage. It is before you reach Tybee Island proper coming from Savannah its on the right at the end of a small path. Plenty of parking.
It is a rustic setting and you can dine indoors but ah then you would miss the water view of the creek and the southern sun I love. This northern girl not only adores the sunshine but loves seafood just as much. You can order platters of seafood steamed or fried and many varieties of crab,blue,snow crab and alaskan crab.
I asked the waitress for her recommendation and had an order of snow crab legs with butter for dipping and cole slaw. Less work and more meat she said. Anyone who eats crab knows just what she meant it is a lot of work but it is delicious. About $20.00 and worth it. Since I was solo the low country boil would have been a waste at lunch but it's on my list of things to try.
The table centers have a cutout to toss the shells which I thought was a great idea. There are stations to wash your hands. Very clean and very busy restaurant even at midday. Perfect for any size party.
For families there is small area to view baby gators and a couple of ideal photo shoot spots.
All in all the hype from the ad was true about this place and it was just what I needed to the start of a another wonderful vacation in the South.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Meriden, Connecticut
“Fun Atmosphere, Food was Just Okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went for dinner. Sat outside which is decorated with a bunch of fun stuff to look at. It is VERY casual. styrofoam plates, plastic forks, and a roll of paper towels on the table. The menu is a bit limited. My husband and daughter got the seafood platter for two. It was huge. It had mussels, crawfish, shrimp, a few different kinds of crab, sausage, potatoes and a tiny piece of corn. I had the shrimp salad with coleslaw and a piece of corn. I believe the food must be made ahead of time and just plopped on the plate. The corn was so mushy, you could barely bite it off the cob. The seafood was okay, but it sure takes a lot of time to take everything out of the shells,so much so that the food is really cold by the time your half done. The hole in the center of the table with a trash can under it does come in handy. But I wonder how often they empty them, as we were there early before it got busy. I would imagine that it would get smelly and buggy. The flies were also very annoying. We spent a lot of the time waving them away. The cats walking around don't bother you, they pretty much say hello and move on. The gators out front were fun to look at. It was definitely a one time visit for us!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Great food, firendly atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you ever visit Tybee island in GA or surrounding areas, I recommend (if you like seafood) the crap shack. The food, Drinks and ambient is great and relax. We visited in September for my mother in law birthday and let me tell you I will return for that delicious feast they have. They have this plate the cost is $75,00 for 4 people but let me tell you 6 of us ate from eat and it was still a lot of food left over. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere