“Sea turtles if you are there at the right time.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Attractions in Tybee Island
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
St. Louis, MO
63 attraction reviews
“Sea turtles if you are there at the right time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The three bedroom condo that we rented was a stone's throw away from this beach, so we didn't have to contend with the pay parking situation. Every morning we would get up before sunrise to walk the beach and we were fortunate to come upon what appeared to be turtle tracks one morning in late June. A naturalist came by on her bike and called the volunteers who head the turtle watch over the area, and one of them came and confirmed that we had indeed found a nest. It was so exciting to watch her dig up and carefully move the 87 eggs that were in the nest to a new and much safer location. The sunrise was beautiful and the water in June was so warm and comfortable. We walked from the lighthouse near our condo to the pier one morning and it was a lovely and pleasant walk. Not many shells on this beach, but then we had heavy storms every night we were there, so maybe it is different at other times.

Chanute, Kansas
18 attraction reviews
“Fun in the Sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

As at most beaches, parking is almost nonexistent close to the beach at Tybee, unless you are down at the pier where the biggest crowd is. We choose to try 5 or 6 blocks down the beach from the pier and were able to find a spot, that required paid parking along the street. They make it easy to use quarters or your charge card at the machine along each block to park there. Be careful where you park because they do tow cars that are not parked in approved parking spots. We were inside a conscience store that was calling the wrecker to tow off several cars in their lot......costs you $125 to get your car back! Water was as warm as your bath tub! Beach had some trash on it, but easy to overlook. Really need an umbrella in June but lots of rental places to get one. You can take coolers on the beach with you just no glass containers. Have fun and bring the sunblock!

8 attraction reviews
“Not my favorite, but nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The dunes on the mid beach were an interesting element. All of the beaches on Tybee are clean. There are plenty of access points and plenty of parking. What I don't like is that parking is by 10-minutes increments for $0.25 each. I would have preferred to be able to purchase a one-week pass so I didn't have to constantly worry about feeding the meter.

Savannah, Georgia, USA
27 attraction reviews
“NEVER Dog Friendly; Far Too Crowded In Summer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The beach is far too crowded in summer and littered with diapers, beer cans, and cigarette butts. Parking is ridiculously expensive ($2.00 an hour). The beach is never dog-friendly, not even iin winter, so it is better to go to Hunting Island State Park or Hilton Head beaches where man's best friend is welcome and parking is cheaper and the beeches are cleaner. And getting to the Island on weekends can be a nightmare--two hour waits to get off Island on Sunday because of accidents are common

Visited April 2014
“Husband's surprise 4 my 63 Rd Birthday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were very surprised and disappointed at the $ 2:00 dollar charge per 1 hr every where you went even on the back roads in front of privet homes's they had signs up letting you know they were charging $ 2:00 dollars an hr to.. We have never been to a beach that charged 4 parking . We are from NC and we have a lot of beautiful beach's in NC!! We were on our way out of town when I found (1 pet friendly hotel) in all of Tybee Island on my Trip Adviser and at a reasonable price and best of all it was just across the road from the beach & no parking charge at the Dun's a wonderful place to stay vary clean & friendly manager & owner we stayed for 5 very relaxing day's with every thing there was to do and see all in our area. We are very happy, happy, happy it all worked out for us it was my first time in Savanna Gorga we stayed there for 2 night's another very nice hotel SleepInn behind cracker barrel all in all it turned out to be a grate surprise birthday for me. Thank's you to all the nice people we meat.. I think Tybee Island need's to rethink there parking choice's that is one thing that made me fell very unwelcome plus every store I went in to there was someone following me all through the store and it was very odveias I was being followed by an employe. One more thing, how can a teenager have a wonderful time at the beach when running back and forth to put $ 2:00 in a parking meter every hour smh it's shameful to the town planners as far as I'm concerned sham on all of y'all for robbing those kids. :(
Who ever comes to this Island better bring a big bag of quarters!!!
Just so you will know a few blocks before entering town it's not at all like that at there shops and much more deserving of your $$$$$$ :)
The End !!!!