Villa by The Sea - prices listed may not be accurate

Pool(2)
Exterior of home from beach
Livingroom

CTET
Midway, Georgia
“Don't Go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

We stayed at this property our family. Upon arrival we were pleased and thought it was going to be a nice relaxing vacation. We were visiting with my aunt, she is ill and has cancer. She wanted to spend some time with the family at the beach. It was grandparents, aunt, uncles, cousin and our children.
Since we traveled in January we were pleased that this property had a heated pool, and a hot tub.

So here is the kicker... about a day or so after I got home I noticed I had a few bumps on my body around my waist and along my side where a bathing suit top would be situated. I then noticed my child and my husband had the same bumps. I was concerned but then decided I would give it a day to see how it went.

When we woke the next morning the bumps were inflamed and painful. I decided to go to the doctor in fear that the property might have had some sort of mites or something.

I went to the doctor and went over the past week, to explain we had spent a lot of time in the hot tub and heated pool etc.
The doctor diagnosed us with Folliculate. Folliculitis is often referred to as "The Hot Tub Rash" It is from being in a hot tub that the chemicals are not properly regulated and causes bacteria to grow in the water. The cause for the red painful bumps were hair follicles that were infected with Staph bacteria. Needless to say I was a hysterical. I couldn't imagine that I had allowed my child to get into a hot tub that had staph infection growing in the water.

I then called my cousin and her husband as they were in and out of the hot tub as we were. She said they had the same sort of rash and were also concerned. We didn't stay in the same room, and we were the only ones along with my cousin and her husband that got the rash. The only common factor was the hot tub.

I called the company to report this on Thursday morning. I was then told by Teresa the manager that "I don't know how you could know it was from our hot tub" but that she would have an expert look into it. Seeing as how a Doctor was expert enough. After several phone calls and emails I finally got an email back from them late Saturday in response to my email about their poor handling of the situation at hand.
I was told by Teresa that the owner had gone out of state and would return my call the following Monday when she got back. Monday night I still had not gotten an answer from the owner of the company. I emailed again.

On Tuesday I finally got a response from the owner. She told me that it was our fault and that we choose to get into a dirty hot tub and didn't use proper hygiene. She said we overloaded the hot tub and must have caused the water to be dirty. There is a 4 person hot tub in a house that sleeps 14, so we were in and out of the hot tub however none of us realize normal use of the hot tub would result in us getting a bacterial infection.

I highly recommend you find another rental company. This company is rude if you have any sort of disagreement with their service. They also do not properly maintain the property while you are staying there. When we arrived the pool had all sorts of trash and debris in the water. As well as you run the risk of contracted a bacterial infection as we did.

3 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
3 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 1 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Feb 12, 2013
Sometimes you just don't know what to say. I am the owner of Villa by The Sea and also own and operate Oceanfront Cottage Rentals, and I offered a huge discount to a lady whose sister had terminal cancer. Upon the departure of the lady who rented the home she could not express how happy she was wit the home, the heated pool, and all of the efforts made by our staff to make this last family reunion memorable. In fact, she personally came into the office and thanked us.

On the other hand, my pool and hot tub maintenance guy had come by and advised me that he had never seen a hot tub that was pristine upon the guest's arrival in one day get in such foul condition as the result of too many guests in the tub with debris in the tub. He was concerned that a group of people would foul a tub and continue to use it. He went and re-cleaned the tub, bleached it and refilled with chemicals during their stay because of it's condition that he found unacceptable. Then I got this review.

The review is not from anyone who made the reservation or had any interaction with our office. We have certified & licensed pool person by the state of Georgia who heads our hot tub maintenance department. We have never had a complaint in 17 years in the hospitality business vaguely related to any complaint like this. In fact, upon the guest's departure we drained the hot tub and ran bleach in it for 3 days. We shocked the pool, bleached the pool cover and continued to over chemical the pool for several days to make sure that no residual "supposed rash" could remain.

Oceanfront Cottage Rentals LLC has the most private pools and hot tubs of all the rental companies on Tybee combined. We have a skilled and licensed staff to maintain these. It is our goal of offer beautifully appointed homes that are always clean and sanitary. This strict standard extends to our pools and hot tubs. We take the responsibility of our guest's health seriously and offer clean and sanitary homes to every guest who checks in for the vacation on Tybee Island, Georgia including pools and hot tubs.

Sincerly,

Stacye C. Jarrell - owner Oceanfront Cottage Rentals.
Winner Small Business of The Year 2012 for Savannah Georgia and Chatham County Georgia.
A FlipKey verified reviewer
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 for a stay in April 2012
4 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 3 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 4 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Patty from South Carolina
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 for a stay in July 2011
4 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
from
$529
Night
Week
Additional fees may be applied by manager
Manager
Oceanfront Cottage Rentals
(800) 786-5889
Speaks English
Listed since : Mar 2012
Calendar Updated: 64 days ago
Note: Response rate information for this manager is unavailable.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing