“Hotel Tybee, Tybee Island GA” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tybee

You added Hotel Tybee to your Saves list
Hotel Tybee
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand Avenue, Tybee Island, GA 31328 (Formerly Ocean Plaza Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Wilmette, IL
“Hotel Tybee, Tybee Island GA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Hotel is being renovated so there was some noise, but not too bad. Rooms were comfortable. Internet service was not great, but I was told this is being addressed. A storm knocked the restaurant out of commission for a couple of days, but when I was able to eat there the food & drinks were good, the service pleasant.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I think it's a stretch calling this a Hotel. One of the elevators were down on a holiday weekend. The carpet in the elevator was dirty the entire weekend. Wi-fi would only work occassionaly. Oceanfront with a view of the parking lot.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. The hotel's corridor carpets have just been completely re-carpeted. Just two days before our Memorial Day Weekend, we removed tile from our elevators and carpeted them. I think the beach and parking lots lead to a lot of wear and tear in the elevators. We will work extracting them weekly or bi-weekly to ensure they stay clean. We did have an elevator stop working over the weekend. This is far from a common issue at the hotel. Unfortunately, elevators always seem to get temperamental on long holiday weekends. I've never understood it, but it has happened a lot during my career. Since your visit, the hotel's restaurant tenant has announced they will be leaving. As a result the restaurant will be closed starting on June 3rd. We plan to fill the vacancy as soon as possible. In the meantime...we have 14 restaurants and 10 bars all within a two block walk of the hotel.

We hope to see you again later this summer. Until next time...safe travels.

Fremont, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great Location. Parking lot away from ocean beach. Right near main drag for bars and Restaurants. Definitely stay on the ocean side of the hotel unless you want to look at a parking lot. Construction going on so very noisy. Rooms are damp even with air condition turned up. Must be an A/C thing. Beds and service very good. Location is excellent.

Room Tip: Pick Ocean Side Room second floor or higher.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. All our noisy remodeling is complete. I cannot apologize enough and at the same time thank you for your patience. It had to be done and the project ran much longer than any of us would have liked. We have some "touching up" to do, but it won't be noisy. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and my amazing team members. I'm truly blessed to have an incredible group of caring professionals to help run this wonderful hotel. Please be aware that since your visit our restaurant tenant has decided to leave. June 3rd will be the restaurant's last day in operation. We are diligently seeking a new restaurateur to take over the facility. We have our fingers crossed that this will occur quickly.

We will look forward to seeing you back. Until next time...safe travels.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Took a quick Monday- Wednesday beach trip that was perfect! Hotel was clean, friendly and quiet! Beach is a quick walk and restaurants as well as shopping all within walking distance. The hotel restaurant had a great breakfast buffet and ate dinner there one night- excellent! Will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: 4th floor ensures quiet night!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for visiting Tybee, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. Thank you for your patience while we finish "Phase One" of our three year improvement plan. Since your visit, our tenant in the restaurant has announced that they will be closing on June 3rd. We will be working around the clock to locate a new tenant for our restaurant and bar.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels.

Fairbanks, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

So of course I read the reviews for the hotel but being in a hurry I failed to follow my own golden rule; that is to disregard reviewers with only 1 review. In the first 10 reviews, there are 7 single reviewers and this is always suspicious. Right from the start I will tell you that the hotel is over rated in its current state.

We booked a 2nd floor room on the beach side for two nights and paid good money for it. I had read in the reviews that the hotel was under renovation but that does not excuse the up keep and condition of the room we were in.

The room was clean however there were some issues in the room. There is mildew growing along the edge of the wall and ceilings and it looks like it was painted over. The curtain to the balcony had some unknown black matter on it that we were scared to touch, the balcony door did not seal properly because it is out of alignment, the door to the room was not sealed good nor did it close completely by itself and there was the big ole bug squashed on the wall. I understand that the rooms are old but this does not mean they have to be un-maintained.

The good things about the room were; nice view from the balcony, friendly and helpful staff, sheets and linen were clean, the bed was okay.

Would I stay there again, but not unless I was guaranteed a renovated room.

A helpful Navigation Hint: If you follow your GPS to the hotel it will lead you down 15th Street and into the public parking area. The actual entrance to the hotel is between 14th and 15th street. There is a standalone building for checking in.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a decent view but the 3rd and 4th would be the best of course seaside.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee and staying with us. Having top contributors, like yourself, of TripAdvisor rate our property is absolutely invaluable. I'm not taking anything away from people that are using TripAdvisor for the first time. Obviously, we all started with posting our first review at some point. I have been using TripAdvisor since the first year they offered their service and think it is one of the most important tools for vacationers and hoteliers alike. I'm sorry you room was not perfect. We purchased the hotel last year on July 31st. We have an amazing vision for the hotel and I have no doubt we will meet your expectations. Our new curtains are arriving on June 10th. It will only take a few days to install them in all 208 guest rooms. The sliding glass doors at the hotel have been a "challenge" since day one. We have a new plan and will need to address every single door independently. Please know that I will address your observations internally with my managers and team members.

Thank you so much for the review. Until next time...safe travels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I had such a great time at Hotel Tybee. It was nice to get our room early because I've been there all day and was exhausted. The staff were really nice. The scene was great. The room was comfortable. I plan on coming back soon.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and our hotel. I'll certainly pass your praise along to my team members. I'm glad they were able to get you checked-in early. For the benefit of future guests that may read this review/response, we do our absolute best to get our guests registered as early as possible. During peak periods we often don't get the rooms turned over until between 3 - 4pm. Guests that arrive earlier in the day are issued parking passes, given access to our pools and can use the registration building's bathroom to change. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you for years to come.

Until next time...safe travels!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Hotel is alright. They are doing a lot of work to improve the rooms and i think it will be a great place. However their "beachfront" view is obstructed by a public parking lot. All you hear is cars honking their horns and drunken fights in the parking lot. If you stay here dont spend the extra money on beachfront. Just stay on the backside. Its more quiet.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for staying with us over Memorial Day weekend. The kick off to the summer season on Tybee Island has officially begun. I'm sorry the beachfront view didn't meet or exceed your expectations. The parking lot is normally not an issue for our guests. Especially for guests staying on our third or fourth floor rooms. The first and second floor rooms can be impacted more by the parking lot especially on holiday weekends. In most cases the parking lot empties out by dinner time and allows for all our guests to have a relaxing night. I hope you will come back during a non-holiday period and experience a much more relaxing visit.

Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!