“The view was worth it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tybee

You added Hotel Tybee to your Saves list
Hotel Tybee
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand Avenue, Tybee Island, GA 31328 (Formerly Ocean Plaza Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
“The view was worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

First, Donna was wonderful!!! She handled our reservation and was also there to check us in. She is super friendly. Reid was equally wonderful the next day. The office staff were super friendly.
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the lack of cleanliness. The hotel is undergoing renovations. That is perfectly acceptable. However it doesn't account for the less than clean room. The shower was pretty gross. There was A LOT of hair. The counter was sticky. Also, there wasn't a trash can in the room. Apparently the people in the room next to us didn't have one either as they stacked their trash outside the door. The trash stayed out there the whole time we were there. No one came to collect it.
The thing is, I can see the potential. If they get a better cleaning crew this place could be awesome. If you are looking for a room with an ocean view, this place is for you! AJ's Beachside was awesome as well!

Stayed April 2015
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor. I will happily pass your praise along to Ms. Donna and Mr. Reid. Both are outstanding managers that go out of their way to ensure all our guests have a great experience. Please know that I will be addressing your observations and concerns with my housekeeping team members. I understand that "mistakes happen", but your experience would be consider a complete fail. My housekeeper, inspectors, executive housekeeper and ultimately I failed you. I'm VERY sorry and promise to make this situation gets the attention it deserves. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. Please contact me directly when booking your next visit. I want to personally reserve your room and make sure that you are taken care of.

Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at Hotel Tybee on vacation in April. What a great place to stay! Right on the beach and with two pools to use if you just don't want the sand for a day (best of both worlds!). The staff is very friendly and very accommodating! This hotel was very convenient to restaurants too. My family and I had an amazing stay! My only regret is that we had to eventually end our vacation and go back home. Renovations going on now, but the end result will be amazing! Great place to stay!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We cannot thank you enough for your patience while we complete our remodeling. Its so exciting to see so many months of hard work coming together. Our guests are raving about all the improvements. We will look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Thanks again for visiting Tybee Island...safe travels.

crazycrustacean
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

1st let me start by saying John at the front desk was amazing. He was a gentleman, very accommodating, helpful and generally happy.

There was a woman we worked with the 2nd weekend and.... I would've preferred John. She gave us a noisy room next to the elevator & ice machine knowing we had our kids with us. I would've preferred to wait a few more minutes for something quieter.

We stayed there on two separate weekends, book ending our spring break Florida trip and happened upon the hotel being in the midst of renovation. That was fine. Our first room had not been updated yet, but was still adequate. Our 2nd room had been renovated and was still adequate.

My biggest issues with the hotel was the housekeeping staff. I felt like they didn't pay very much attention to the details. Our 1st room had all toiletries except shampoo. We didn't use the toiletries, except the soap, because we brought our own, but I noticed it. Our 2nd room had to be vacuumed again because it was still quite "crumby" and the bathroom floor had hair on it when we got there.

I was also kind of disappointed that even though the hotel is in the middle of a renovation, the hallways weren't vacuumed, the elevators weren't cleaned. The floors weren't constantly being worked on.

Having said all that, I'd probably stay here again if we ever go back to Tybee Island. It was central to everywhere and on the beach side. I just would prefer for the little details to be paid attention to more.

Room Tip: Work with John.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly share your feedback with all my team members. John is outstanding with the hotel's guests. He goes above and beyond to ensure everyone has a great stay. Thank you for your patience while we completed our remodeling of the hotel. We are just 2-3 weeks away from "Phase One" being completed. We will make sure that future improvements are scheduled to be completed before the spring season begins. We truly have been working around the clock since we purchased the hotel last year. Please know that I will review your observations with our housekeeping team. They are a great group of dedicated professionals that genuinely care a lot. Reviews like yours help us identify areas for improvement.

Thank you for your repeated patronage this year. We appreciate your willingness to come back in the future. We will look forward to seeing you...safe travels.

Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Yes, this hotel is under renovations and they are working throughout the day but don't let that stop you from booking a room for your vacation. We got here on Tuesday and stayed till Friday. Got a very spacious King bed remodeled modern style room. Clean as a pin. The restaurant AJ's located on the premises was really great food and the staff is super friendly and very efficient. This hotel is within walking distance of the pier and downtown Tybee being within a block walk. Very short walking distance. We enjoyed having the ocean right in front of us as we sat on out on our balcony. So peaceful and very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you sooooooooooo much for your patience while we are remodeling. We are just weeks away from completing "Phase One" of our remodeling efforts. We have been working diligently to complete the hotel's improvements. A handful of issues that were beyond our control have delayed the entire process. This coming year we will be focused on completing "Phase two" between November and the end of January. We will be able to complete the next round of improvements with minimal impact on our guests.

We hope to see you back later this year. Until next time...safe travels!!!

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My group has stayed at Hotel Tybee once before, and we wouldn't pick anywhere else to stay! Very affordable and the staff is happy to work with large groups. Steps from the beach and tucked in a very cool corner of Tybee Island.

Room Tip: Under renovation
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and your repeated patronage. I will certainly pass your praise along to my all my team members, especially the sales department that helps coordinate groups. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by a very caring group of professionals. We absolutely LOVE groups. Hosting groups year after year is always a blast. We love connecting with the individuals and look forward to their return visits. Thanks again for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We hope to see you again next year. Until then...safe travels!

Decatur, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First of all, unbeknowst to us, we arrived the night of "Orange Crush" a beach party of sorts of college students. We were unable to reach our hotel because of traffic and issues related to two shootings at the "Orange Crush." If we had know about this, we would have made a different choice. Then on Saturday night the hotel was full of loud college students banging around until about three in the morning. On Sunday most of the students left and we then discovered in the light of day that the hotel was a mess with all kinds of renovation going on. Workers were banging, hammering, hauling stuff up and down the hallways. The hotel advertised free wifi. the signal strength was almost nonexistent. I will not give them a second chance even though it might someday be a nice hotel. In the office there is a letter from the new owners offering a 15% discount on your next stay. The discount should have been offered to us for staying. I booked online and have do so many times and never had such a horrible experience. There are nice places on Tybee Island but this is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and giving us an opportunity to serve you. I'm extremely disappointed that your visit was impacted by Orange Crush Weekend. This 2-3 day event has plagued the island for 25+ years. I'm concerned and frustrated that an event we have absolutely nothing to do with, shaped your experience and opinion of the hotel. Having said that, if I was in your shoes and visiting that weekend, I could have easily written and posted the same review. I can see how one thing, would have lead to another and the next thing you know the hotel deserves a "one circle review". Please know that we took extraordinary measures to prevent Orange Crush from impacting you and the rest of our guests. As a result of this year's event, the island's local government is committed to taking steps to end Orange Crush permanently. In my heart of hearts, I believe you would have had a totally different opinion of the hotel had you visited on any other weekend.

Our "Phase One" remodeling project is almost complete. We have another 3-4 weeks to wrap things up. One of the next big additions to the hotel will be state-of-the-art high speed wireless system. This new system will ensure all our guests have great signal strength throughout the entire hotel. Again, I'm sorry to have not met or exceeded your expectations. We promise to learn from this year's Orange Crush experience and apply the lessons learned to the future. I hope you will reconsider and someday come back to experience our improvements.

Wishing you nothing but the very best...safe travels!

Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived at the hotel treated by a friendly staff. You can only park in one side of the hotel which is kind of strange. The beach side parking is for public paid parking which is between the hotel and beach. The property is being upgraded. The room was large but dated. The stay was uneventful.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and allowing us to host your visit. I'm glad you enjoyed the size of your room and found our staff to be friendly. As you mentioned, there is a thin city owned parking lot between us and the beach. The parking area has been there for decades and allows day visitors to the beach a place to park. As a general statement, parking on Tybee Island is a rare commodity. We are fortunate to have ample parking and even have an overflow parking area. I want to thank you for your patience while we are completing "Phase One" of a three year remodeling program. Please plan a follow up visit to see and evaluate our improvements.

Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!