“Ocean Front Hotel well worth staying at.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tybee

You added Hotel Tybee to your Saves list
Hotel Tybee
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand Avenue, Tybee Island, GA 31328 (Formerly Ocean Plaza Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Savannah, Georgia
“Ocean Front Hotel well worth staying at.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Yes, this hotel is under renovations and they are working throughout the day but don't let that stop you from booking a room for your vacation. We got here on Tuesday and stayed till Friday. Got a very spacious King bed remodeled modern style room. Clean as a pin. The restaurant AJ's located on the premises was really great food and the staff is super friendly and very efficient. This hotel is within walking distance of the pier and downtown Tybee being within a block walk. Very short walking distance. We enjoyed having the ocean right in front of us as we sat on out on our balcony. So peaceful and very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you sooooooooooo much for your patience while we are remodeling. We are just weeks away from completing "Phase One" of our remodeling efforts. We have been working diligently to complete the hotel's improvements. A handful of issues that were beyond our control have delayed the entire process. This coming year we will be focused on completing "Phase two" between November and the end of January. We will be able to complete the next round of improvements with minimal impact on our guests.

We hope to see you back later this year. Until next time...safe travels!!!

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My group has stayed at Hotel Tybee once before, and we wouldn't pick anywhere else to stay! Very affordable and the staff is happy to work with large groups. Steps from the beach and tucked in a very cool corner of Tybee Island.

Room Tip: Under renovation
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and your repeated patronage. I will certainly pass your praise along to my all my team members, especially the sales department that helps coordinate groups. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by a very caring group of professionals. We absolutely LOVE groups. Hosting groups year after year is always a blast. We love connecting with the individuals and look forward to their return visits. Thanks again for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We hope to see you again next year. Until then...safe travels!

Decatur, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First of all, unbeknowst to us, we arrived the night of "Orange Crush" a beach party of sorts of college students. We were unable to reach our hotel because of traffic and issues related to two shootings at the "Orange Crush." If we had know about this, we would have made a different choice. Then on Saturday night the hotel was full of loud college students banging around until about three in the morning. On Sunday most of the students left and we then discovered in the light of day that the hotel was a mess with all kinds of renovation going on. Workers were banging, hammering, hauling stuff up and down the hallways. The hotel advertised free wifi. the signal strength was almost nonexistent. I will not give them a second chance even though it might someday be a nice hotel. In the office there is a letter from the new owners offering a 15% discount on your next stay. The discount should have been offered to us for staying. I booked online and have do so many times and never had such a horrible experience. There are nice places on Tybee Island but this is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We arrived at the hotel treated by a friendly staff. You can only park in one side of the hotel which is kind of strange. The beach side parking is for public paid parking which is between the hotel and beach. The property is being upgraded. The room was large but dated. The stay was uneventful.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and allowing us to host your visit. I'm glad you enjoyed the size of your room and found our staff to be friendly. As you mentioned, there is a thin city owned parking lot between us and the beach. The parking area has been there for decades and allows day visitors to the beach a place to park. As a general statement, parking on Tybee Island is a rare commodity. We are fortunate to have ample parking and even have an overflow parking area. I want to thank you for your patience while we are completing "Phase One" of a three year remodeling program. Please plan a follow up visit to see and evaluate our improvements.

Until next time...safe travels!

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I had a good experience with my group at Hotel Tybee. The hotel was under renovation, but the rooms were really nice and clean and the hotel is just steps away from the beach. I also left some things in my room at the hotel and the manager of the hotel kindly found them and mailed them back to me. I would recommend it to any group or family that wants a nice vacation!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
We loved hosting your group and appreciate you spending your spring break with us. Thank you for taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. On weekends when we host spring break groups we always hire off-duty officers to ensure everyone is safe and has an enjoyable experience. It says a lot about your organization that the officers said your peers were the best behaved and most polite group of the year. We would welcome you back anytime and genuinely appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We will look forward to seeing everyone this coming fall, next spring or both. Good luck in school and thanks again for visiting Tybee Island. Until next time...safe travels!!!

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is undergoing renovations and I had one of the renovated rooms. It was cute and very comfortable! I liked the decor, cozy bed and pillows, and big TV. The room definitely exceeded my expectations. Everything was very clean!

My stay was for a quick weekend trip and I wasn't at the hotel too much, so I can't speak to the pool or restaurant. However, I was impressed by the service at the front desk. Somehow I made an error on my room reservation and reserved a king room instead of two doubles. This was a problem I embarrassingly didn't discover until I actually got to the room and panicked a bit, since I was traveling with a friend and I wanted my own bed since I was running a half-marathon the next morning. I called the front desk and they immediately and graciously moved me to another room. They were always very friendly and helpful in every interaction.

The only drawback to my inland-view room was the benches beneath my balcony that served as a guest smoking area. I'm not sure if that was designated as a smoking area or just served as an impromptu gathering place, but it was enough to where I didn't use my balcony because of all of the smoke drifting up, even on the 4th floor.

When I go to the beach, I usually prefer a beachfront pool area, which this hotel can't exactly offer. Also, I typically spend less in many other areas on an actual beachfront room in the offseason, than what I did here on my parking-lot-view room. I only give 5-star ratings if I'm truly "wowed" by the property and value, but I wasn't this time. For this area, this hotel is priced competitively (at least for now), but with my budget, I usually choose to visit places where I feel like I get more for my money. Just sharing that for other travelers so that you'll keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island, vacationing at our hotel and posting you 70th review on TripAdvisor. Getting a really good review from a "top contributor" of TripAdvisor means a ton to us. I was really happy that our front desk was able to get your accommodations fixed quickly for you. They are a great team that genuinely care about all our guests. I completely understand your comments regarding your rating for our property in its current state. I believe your review and ratings are spot on from my life/career experience also. Having said that, I hope by your next visit that we can earn a top rating. We are only 8 months into our ownership of the hotel. Five to six weeks from now we will have completed "Phase One" of a three-year remodeling plan. This coming off-season we will be making additional improvements to our guest rooms that I am confident will help us earn a "five circle" top rating.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Until next time...safe travels!

Eastpointe, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

They are in the midst of renovations so beware, but it's well worth it. Despite an initial problem (a/c didn't work) it was quickly resolved and there were no further problems. The staff is incredibly responsive to concerns and guest feedback and I am very grateful for this. The restaurant is very good and there's lots to do in the area. Don't let past negative reviews scare you. There are new owners and they are doing extensive renovations. I hope to go back and see the progress they've made very soon.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate you recognizing my incredible team members and what a wonderful job they do. I can't thank you enough for being patient with our remodeling. We recognize that it has been an inconvenience to our guests and appreciate their understanding. Our north tower corridors will be completed shortly and look absolutely AMAZING. The vast majority of the remodeling from this point forward will not be noisy. We will be working in individual guestrooms and bathrooms.

I can't wait for you to come back and see our improvements. Please keep in mind that this is a three year remodeling process and this is only "Phase One" of making Hotel Tybee Georgia's best vacation destination. Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!