“Ocean Front Hotel well worth staying at.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tybee

You added Hotel Tybee to your Saves list
Hotel Tybee
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand Avenue, Tybee Island, GA 31328 (Formerly Ocean Plaza Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Savannah, Georgia
“Ocean Front Hotel well worth staying at.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Yes, this hotel is under renovations and they are working throughout the day but don't let that stop you from booking a room for your vacation. We got here on Tuesday and stayed till Friday. Got a very spacious King bed remodeled modern style room. Clean as a pin. The restaurant AJ's located on the premises was really great food and the staff is super friendly and very efficient. This hotel is within walking distance of the pier and downtown Tybee being within a block walk. Very short walking distance. We enjoyed having the ocean right in front of us as we sat on out on our balcony. So peaceful and very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, yesterday
We cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you sooooooooooo much for your patience while we are remodeling. We are just weeks away from completing "Phase One" of our remodeling efforts. We have been working diligently to complete the hotel's improvements. A handful of issues that were beyond our control have delayed the entire process. This coming year we will be focused on completing "Phase two" between November and the end of January. We will be able to complete the next round of improvements with minimal impact on our guests.

We hope to see you back later this year. Until next time...safe travels!!!

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My group has stayed at Hotel Tybee once before, and we wouldn't pick anywhere else to stay! Very affordable and the staff is happy to work with large groups. Steps from the beach and tucked in a very cool corner of Tybee Island.

Room Tip: Under renovation
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and your repeated patronage. I will certainly pass your praise along to my all my team members, especially the sales department that helps coordinate groups. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by a very caring group of professionals. We absolutely LOVE groups. Hosting groups year after year is always a blast. We love connecting with the individuals and look forward to their return visits. Thanks again for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We hope to see you again next year. Until then...safe travels!

Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We arrived at the hotel treated by a friendly staff. You can only park in one side of the hotel which is kind of strange. The beach side parking is for public paid parking which is between the hotel and beach. The property is being upgraded. The room was large but dated. The stay was uneventful.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and allowing us to host your visit. I'm glad you enjoyed the size of your room and found our staff to be friendly. As you mentioned, there is a thin city owned parking lot between us and the beach. The parking area has been there for decades and allows day visitors to the beach a place to park. As a general statement, parking on Tybee Island is a rare commodity. We are fortunate to have ample parking and even have an overflow parking area. I want to thank you for your patience while we are completing "Phase One" of a three year remodeling program. Please plan a follow up visit to see and evaluate our improvements.

Until next time...safe travels!

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I had a good experience with my group at Hotel Tybee. The hotel was under renovation, but the rooms were really nice and clean and the hotel is just steps away from the beach. I also left some things in my room at the hotel and the manager of the hotel kindly found them and mailed them back to me. I would recommend it to any group or family that wants a nice vacation!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
We loved hosting your group and appreciate you spending your spring break with us. Thank you for taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. On weekends when we host spring break groups we always hire off-duty officers to ensure everyone is safe and has an enjoyable experience. It says a lot about your organization that the officers said your peers were the best behaved and most polite group of the year. We would welcome you back anytime and genuinely appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We will look forward to seeing everyone this coming fall, next spring or both. Good luck in school and thanks again for visiting Tybee Island. Until next time...safe travels!!!

Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel is undergoing renovations and I had one of the renovated rooms. It was cute and very comfortable! I liked the decor, cozy bed and pillows, and big TV. The room definitely exceeded my expectations. Everything was very clean!

My stay was for a quick weekend trip and I wasn't at the hotel too much, so I can't speak to the pool or restaurant. However, I was impressed by the service at the front desk. Somehow I made an error on my room reservation and reserved a king room instead of two doubles. This was a problem I embarrassingly didn't discover until I actually got to the room and panicked a bit, since I was traveling with a friend and I wanted my own bed since I was running a half-marathon the next morning. I called the front desk and they immediately and graciously moved me to another room. They were always very friendly and helpful in every interaction.

The only drawback to my inland-view room was the benches beneath my balcony that served as a guest smoking area. I'm not sure if that was designated as a smoking area or just served as an impromptu gathering place, but it was enough to where I didn't use my balcony because of all of the smoke drifting up, even on the 4th floor.

When I go to the beach, I usually prefer a beachfront pool area, which this hotel can't exactly offer. Also, I typically spend less in many other areas on an actual beachfront room in the offseason, than what I did here on my parking-lot-view room. I only give 5-star ratings if I'm truly "wowed" by the property and value, but I wasn't this time. For this area, this hotel is priced competitively (at least for now), but with my budget, I usually choose to visit places where I feel like I get more for my money. Just sharing that for other travelers so that you'll keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island, vacationing at our hotel and posting you 70th review on TripAdvisor. Getting a really good review from a "top contributor" of TripAdvisor means a ton to us. I was really happy that our front desk was able to get your accommodations fixed quickly for you. They are a great team that genuinely care about all our guests. I completely understand your comments regarding your rating for our property in its current state. I believe your review and ratings are spot on from my life/career experience also. Having said that, I hope by your next visit that we can earn a top rating. We are only 8 months into our ownership of the hotel. Five to six weeks from now we will have completed "Phase One" of a three-year remodeling plan. This coming off-season we will be making additional improvements to our guest rooms that I am confident will help us earn a "five circle" top rating.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Until next time...safe travels!

Eastpointe, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

They are in the midst of renovations so beware, but it's well worth it. Despite an initial problem (a/c didn't work) it was quickly resolved and there were no further problems. The staff is incredibly responsive to concerns and guest feedback and I am very grateful for this. The restaurant is very good and there's lots to do in the area. Don't let past negative reviews scare you. There are new owners and they are doing extensive renovations. I hope to go back and see the progress they've made very soon.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Hotel Tybee, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate you recognizing my incredible team members and what a wonderful job they do. I can't thank you enough for being patient with our remodeling. We recognize that it has been an inconvenience to our guests and appreciate their understanding. Our north tower corridors will be completed shortly and look absolutely AMAZING. The vast majority of the remodeling from this point forward will not be noisy. We will be working in individual guestrooms and bathrooms.

I can't wait for you to come back and see our improvements. Please keep in mind that this is a three year remodeling process and this is only "Phase One" of making Hotel Tybee Georgia's best vacation destination. Until next time...safe travels!

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This facility is a very large hotel with two sections separated by a large gap through which you drive to get to the separate registration building. There is also a separate conference center. Registration was fairly straightforward and we were initiated to the parking situation. The parking lot between the hotel and the dunes is town owned pay parking. The area behind the hotel is free for guests who display their parking pass from registration. The hotel is a four story affair with a central hallway and rooms on both sides. We stayed on the ocean side on the top floor and loved looking at the beach and ocean. An ideal situation, I think. Rooms on the back side just would not have been the same, offering no view of the ocean, as the orientation of the hotel is parallel to the beach. Given the number of rooms I suspect that the two elevators in the middle of the north section where we stayed would be worked to death during warm months.
On our arrival we were sent to a room which had a sliding door to the outside with no latch and which would not fully close. The front desk had no problem switching us to another room. Rooms were large enough for two queen beds and a tiny desk. The décor was, I suppose, beach, or perhaps carnival. Wild colors and stripes but the view was wonderful and the beds were comfortable. I should mention that when we visited, the name was different and the place had just changed hands. The new owner was remodeling and it looks like the facility had suffered deferred maintenance from the previous owners. Our room was clean, but looked worn. We had to constantly switch cell phones and computers and cameras from outlet to outlet because of the overall lack of outlets. I might add that when we went there, the description of the room mentioned no amenities, but there were the usual amenities of microwave and refrigerator and hair dryer. I think I remember a TV, but I never use them. I had the ocean to watch and the ships going into and out of the Savannah River on the tides.
The bathroom was a bit tight and the shower curtain did not have a curved rod, so the shower curtain kept sticking to me when I showered. Not a game changer, but noteworthy.
There was a plan to open a restaurant, again, above the gap between the two buildings where you drive through, but it had not happened at the time we visited.

Room Tip: One side faces the ocean and the other faces a parking lot. Go for the view.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
I LOVE YOUR REVIEW! I am always thrilled when guests take their own time to share their experience with me directly or on TripAdvisor. I love your review for a handful of reasons. It so accurately portrays where we were a few months ago. As I was reading it, I found myself thinking back on how far we've come in such a short period of time. Honestly, if you came back to day you would be shocked. I'm guessing you would actually be amazed. The exterior is completely repainted and doesn't remotely resemble the hotel you stayed at. Both pools and decks have been refinished. After months of being closed, our restaurant and bar, "A-J's Beachside" is remodeled and has opened to rave reviews. We have been working around the clock remodeling the hotel's corridors. Guest rooms are currently getting curved shower rods. All bathrooms are having repairs to the sheetrock, grout, getting new lighting, mirrors and being completely painted. We are currently installing new vanites and tub surrounds in 45-50 bathrooms. The bedrooms will be getting new curtains and boxspring wraps in the next 4-6 weeks. We've also added huge 46in flat-screen televisions. One of the most exciting changes is our name change to "HOTEL TYBEE". We decided to honor the legacy of hospitality being served at this location for more than 126 years. I cannot wait for your next visit and to experience all our improvements.

Hope to see you soon. Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Hotel Tybee? Share your experiences!