“First time won't be the last ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand Avenue, Oceanfront at 15th Street, Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Greenwood, South Carolina
“First time won't be the last ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Even though renovations are happening its a great stay. View from room with balcony, free wifi and AJ s has partnered with them. What I appreciate the most is the honored the price listed on trip advisor. The other didn't staff very accommodating

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you so much for being patient while we are remodeling. This is quite the undertaking. We are 4-6 weeks away from completing our corridor remodeling. We've been blessed with great weather and are well ahead of schedule with the exterior improvements. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first visit and will be coming back in the future. Thank you again for your patience!

Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights during spring break. My wife and I were sharing a room with another couple. Unfortunately, my wife got sick that night, and we went to talk with the front desk about getting another room. Donna Hatcher was very helpful and understood the unfortunate situation we were in, and she helped us secure another room near our first room at a great rate. We were thankful for her help!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear about your wife being sick and am thrilled to hear that Ms. Donna was able to assist you. She is an amazing manager that goes out of her way to take care of all our guests. I hope you will consider scheduling another visit with us later this summer when all of our "Phase One" remodeling is complete. I'm sure you and your wife needed time to just relax and rejuvenate...getting sick certainly wouldn't help accomplish that.

Hope to see you again...safe travels!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here based on the ranking, and all I can say is that it definitely was rank.

They said at the front desk it was new owners and renovated rooms. Fresh paint does not constitute renovations. There was mold in bathroom and broken fixtures.

The rooms overlook the parking for the beach and pier, so expect lots of noise, and exhaust.

Location is NOT everything in this instance.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Please know that the hotel has gone through a significant remodeling program since you stayed with us back in September of 2014. I'm VERY sorry that we failed to meet or exceed your expectations back then. I think it is important for you and other readers of TripAdvisor to know that we had only owned the hotel for just over one month at that point. In no way shape or form were we advising the public in September of last year that the rooms were remodeled, painted, or improved. At that point, we were solely focused on team member training, cleaning and preventative maintenance. There was plenty of each in desperate need at that time. We purchased the hotel knowing that there were a plethora of areas that needed to be addressed at the hotel and hit the ground running. We have been working around the clock since your visit and I have no doubt that if you stayed now...you would not recognize the hotel. The following is a list of improvements that we've made since your visit just six months ago:
• Installed a luxurious triple-sheeted bedding program – quilted mattress toppers, fitted sheet, flat sheet, quilted filled blanket, decorative flat sheet and 4/5 pillows on every bed (both firm and soft)
• Installed new roofs
• Upgraded our towels and quality of our linen
• Offer environmentally friendly guest room amenities
• Installed all new boilers and hot water storage
• Installed large HD flat screen televisions and upgraded to HD signal
• Installed microwaves and fridges
• Replaced soft seating
• Replaced fixtures
• Refinished 208 guestroom tubs
• Replaced bathtub fixtures
• Refinished both pools
• Remodeled the restaurant and now offer "A-J's Beachside Restaurant and Bar"

We are currently working on the following areas and will have them completed in the next two months:
• Regrouting all bathroom floors
• Replacing 45+ vanities
• Replacing all bathroom lighting, mirrors, and installing curved shower rods
• Painting all bathrooms and re-caulking
• Painting the exterior
• Renaming the hotel "HOTEL TYBEE"
• Significantly upgrading the hotel’s wifi system
• Remodeling the hotel’s corridors

The best news...we are no where near done. This is only "Phase One" of a three year remodeling campaign that will re-position the hotel as one of the nicest hotels on the coast of Georgia. It will not happen overnight, but each of my team members is dedicated to making HOTEL TYBEE a world-class beachfront lodging experience.

I hope you will come back this summer and experience our progress...safe travels!

upper SCarolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was part of a "takeover" of the entire property by the 2015 MS Challenge Walk participants recently. With all our walkers, volunteers, and staff, there were about 350-400 of us that weekend. Ocean Plaza (now Hotel Tybee) and AJ's Restaurant handled our strange hours and voracious appetites with nothing but smiles. I hope their up-fits continue, including more complete accessiblity, but I would be thrilled to return to this property. In fact, I've already suggested it to some friends looking for a laidback coastal getaway!

Room Tip: As always, ask for higher floors and oceanfront if available.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you, thank you and thank you! I hope everyone involved with the MS Challenge left knowing how appreciative we were for the opportunity to serve your group. It was a wonderful and inspirational experience. There were to many highlights to even try and mention. One incredibly important lesson from the event was concerning accessibility for all our guests. We are so appreciative of the participants that took time to show us areas for improvement. We immediately ordered items to enhance and improve accessibility throughout the hotel and our guest rooms. I expect each and everyone of the areas that were brought to my attention will be addressed in the next two weeks.

By the way, there is no higher compliment than you recommending us to your friends and colleagues. We appreciate your support and recommendation. We hope to host your event for years (and years) to come. Until next time...safe travels.

Richmond Hill, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Ocean Plaza Beach Resort is in a great location...able to walk anywhere in Tybee easily....but it is an OLD Hotel, looks like, smells like it and the amenities are like it. Be warned...this is by no means a 4 (or 5) star resort. If you just need somewhere to sleep after a day at the beach and a night out at one of the many bars this will do, but honestly for the price they charge I would expect more. I just cannot see spending Two Hundred Dollars a night. With little options of Quality hotels in the Tybee island area it is hard to pick the best one....Oh and let us not forget that parking on tybee is 24/7 you must pay meters...so I give it to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort that they have ample parking...For locals that would like to spend a day at the beach and not drive an hour + home it just is not really worth it.

Room Tip: For $200 a night...really?
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. As you mentioned, our location is certainly one of our biggest assets. We are just a minute or two walk from the pier, shops, and Tybee's favorite nightlife. In addition to the hotel's location, our beds, views, cleanliness, team members, restaurant/bar are all assets I believe are all worth accolades. I'm sorry that our rates were to high for you. The truth is we offer a myriad of different rates based off the room type, view, day(s) of the week and how your reservation is booked at the hotel. Guests can currently stay for as low as $99 a night when booking an inland view room. In my humble opinion $99 a night makes our hotel hands down the best lodging option on Tybee Island. At $99 I would happily forego a view of the ocean and would be thrilled to stay for multiple nights. We do charge a premium for ocean view rooms or partial ocean view rooms. The view from them is simply breathtaking and worth every penny. Waking up to watching dolphins play in the surf is one of those experiences that make vacation memories. We are in the process of a major remodeling project for the hotel. Corridors, bathrooms, and the exterior of the building are our major focus. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and that we are able to provide a rate you find reasonable. Our team's genuine goal is to exceed every guests expectations.

Thank you for staying with us. Hope to see you again...safe travels!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The Ocean Plaza served as our host hotel for the annual 50 mile challenge walk. The staff were extremely accommodating. The hotel was recently purchased by a new owner and they are in the process of updating the place. We were on the fourth floor and it was probably the best ocean view we have ever had. A new restaurant is getting ready to open at the hotel and they supported the walk wolf wonderful meals. Other than some nasty blisters it was a very nice place. I believe they will be changing the name soon to that of the original hotel that stood on that site.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
I hope your blisters are healing!!! Everyone that participated in the MS Challenge was so inspirational and motivating to us. I think it is fair to say that I'm a "bit" overweight (I'm being really kind). I love a challenge and having goals to work toward. Internally, I've already committed to my team members that if we host the MS Challenge next year that I'm walking every inch of the 50 miles. I figure I have 11 months to lose a significant amount of weight and make walking a part of my regular lifestyle. As soon as we know about next year's Challenge, I'll use social media to track my progress leading up to the event.

Thank you for recognizing the incredible team of people at the hotel and our new restaurant. They are an amazing group of professionals that care about each and everyone of our guests.

We really appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! We hope to see you for years to come. Until next time...safe travels!!!

Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First time to this property, we had a wonderful time, stayed 3 nights in February. Though they were in the middle of renovations, the property is very clean. Staff is friendly and very helpful. We had an ocean view room and the views are spectacular. It's a 2 minute walk to the beach or the pier. Though the onsite restaurant was closed (under going renovation as well) there are 2 great breakfast places within walking distance (literally 2 minute walk as well). I can't wait to go back and see how the renovations are!!

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room!!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
I'm thrilled you had a great visit to our hotel and appreciate you taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we are remodeling the hotel. A project of this scope is very exciting for both our guests and the Tybee Island community as a whole. As I recently described it to one of our guests, our remodeling efforts are like trying to give someone a haircut while they are jogging. Our guests have been amazingly supportive and patient with the entire process. We will continue the project for another 5-6 weeks and finish just in time for our summer season.

We cannot wait to see you in the future and share our improvements with you. Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!