“Great Room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

A friend and I stayed at the Ocean Plaza last weekend. The room was large and bright and we loved drinking our coffee on the balcony, even though it was very chilly. At this time of year, the beach was quiet and we thought it was very clean compared to other beaches we've visited. We worried about the distance to Savannah's Historic District, but it was very easy; so we felt like we got the best of both worlds (beach and history).

Room Tip: We'd reserved a partial ocean view, but it was ocean front--we were very happy.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We are thrilled to hear you and your friend enjoyed your stay at our hotel and Tybee Island. Thank you so much for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are only 20 minutes from Savannah and offer an amazing opportunity to get the best of both worlds. Exploring Savannah is an absolute must on any Tybee Island vacation. Savannah is simply amazing for young and old alike. Our guests rave about River Street, Bay Street, City Market, historic squares and parks. I also love steering our guests to the "Savannah Wildlife Refuge" (actually located just over the bridge in South Carolina) and slowly driving the auto road. Bringing a camera on this journey is an absolute must as you never know what you will see.

We hope you will come back this coming summer so you can enjoy coffee from your private balcony when it is warm out. There is nothing like waking up to the ocean and watching dolphins play out in front of the hotel. Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

First time staying here with my husband and our two children.
Absolutely worth the money. Great room, great view, great staff. Lovely time. Will definatly be back! New manager has done a great job putting the hotel back together!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We really appreciate you staying with us and taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your family's visit. I agree that the views from the hotel's two top floors are just amazing. We have only owned the hotel since last July and have been working diligently making improvements. We are halfway through "Phase One" of a three year remodeling program. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Until next time...safe travels.

Dublin, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I went to the Ocean Plaza Resort for our anniversary which is on valentines day. what a wonderful place to stay. The people who worked there where very friendly. I loved or room facing the ocean. we had a wonderful 3 nights there, I would recommend this hotel. The only thing I was disappointed with is the restaurant was not open and they had no special amenities for people celebrating an anniversary. But otherwise a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY! We can't thank you enough for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you enjoyed stay and our accommodations. I appreciate the positive feedback on my team members. They are an amazing group of caring professionals. Our new restaurant "A-J's Beachside Restaurant and Bar" will be opening in early March. We are sooooooooo excited to share the remodeled restaurant with our visitors. Since purchasing the hotel last July, we have been working around the clock making improvements. I apologize for not offering upgrades or perks for guests celebrating special events. I think it is a great observation and one we will consider in our next guest services meeting. We meet monthly and discuss opportunities to improve our guests overall experience. I'm sure they will love coming up with some creative ideas to offer in the future.

We hope to see you again this coming summer. Until next time...safe travels.

Statesboro, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel itself was clean, quiet, and a good location on the beach behind the dunes. Adequate for a relaxing night. We would definitely stay here again and it seems like a good affordable family hotel. It is an older hotel that seems a bit worn in spots, which they seem to be working on as new ownership is investing money on it.

The issue we had was with Tybee Island itself in offseason. We were looking forward to sleeping late and walking to breakfast at "The Breakfast Club" or some other place that came recommended. The line was around the corner and down the street for "The Breakfast Club." There was only one other option and it was a buffet, which is not our style. So we had to leave the island prematurely to find breakfast and were very disappointed in this.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We really appreciate you vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate your positive feedback and understanding/patience while we are remodeling the hotel. Currently, we are at the halfway point of "Phase One" of a three year improvement program. I'm sorry you struggled to find an easy option for breakfast. The good news is our restaurant will be reopening shortly. A-J's Beachside Restaurant and Bar will be opening in March. It is just a week or two away from being remodeled and welcoming guests. Our restaurant offers stunning ocean views and plenty of space for everyone. There is nothing like watching the sunrise, dolphins playing in the surf and enjoying breakfast.

We look forward to your next visit and sharing all our improvements with you. Until next time...safe travels.

Macon, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

CAUTION; I have stayed here for the past 4 years during the "Beach Bum" and "Pirate Fest" weekends. It is close to the activities that I take part in while on vacation/work. In the past I have made reservations without any issue should I have to cancel due to illness or other unforeseen issues. However, this year I made the reservations and the policy has changed. NO cancellation is allowed and the full amount is put on the charge card at the time one makes the reservation. This is not the type of business practice that sets well with me. I made the reservations again for this year simply because it is probably the best motel located to where I need to be on the two weekends. However, I will not stay here in the future due to the "non-cancellation" policy. Hopefully I will not need to cancel for any unforeseen reason and loose the complete payment. So beware of the new "no refund" policy before you make your reservations.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to post a review and share your thoughts about our hotel. Guests staying at the hotel have several different reservation options. While we do require a deposit at the time of your reservation is made, it can be refundable depending on the type of booking you make. It is identical to the reservations model used by the airlines. Deeper discounts are available for guests that are interested in booking a non-cancelable/changeable reservation. If you know you are coming and will not cancel we offer a deeper discount. If you need flexibility, we offer less of a discount, but you reserve the right to cancel without penalty up until 72 hours prior to your arrival. I believe this to be a very fair policy to both our guests and the business as a whole. We do not want to lose you as a regular guest of the hotel. We have been working around the clock since purchasing the hotel making significant improvements. I hope you will reconsider and allow us to continue serving you for years and years to come.

Thank you again for sharing your opinion...safe travels.

Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Enjoyed our stay at the hotel this past weekend. The room was LARGE, clean and comfy. upon check in we were greeted by Reid. Super nice manager who listened to me babel, asked some good questions and listened to the answers. My girl friend and I were there for a little get away from life and children. With out asking he made sure to move us to the north tower away from all children... THANK YOU REID! The room was fully stocked plenty of towels, soaps, had we needed anything I am sure the staff would have done what ever to fulfill our needs.

We will be back thank you to you and your staff for a great night!

Room Tip: Talk with Reid
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island with your girlfriend, staying with us and then taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all your positive feedback on our guest rooms size and cleanliness. We have been working around the clock to improve the hotel since purchasing it this past July. We recognize that we months/years of work ahead of us, but we have made significant improvements on a daily basis. The overwhelming amount of positive feedback means the world to us. Thank you for recognizing our team member, Mr. Reid. He is the hotel's front office manager and our goal is for him to become the assistant general manager. Reid is a dedicated and hard working professional that genuinely cares about all our guests. He is the backbone of the management team and we are blessed to have his leadership.

Please plan a return visit later this year to see our continued progress. Until next time...safe travels.

Woodstock, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

Decided to stay on Tybee for one night. Chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings. Friendly, helpful staff. We picked 3rd floor, ocean facing room with a balcony. The room was very nice - loved the new color scheme - bed very comfortable - great pillows! We slept like rocks, which may have been from walking in the crisp, clear air. Great location - walked across the street for lunch at Sting Ray. We are very much beach in the wintertime people and this worked really well for us. Will be interested in trying the new A.J.'s restaurant when it opens at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Thank you for using TripAdvisor when choosing our hotel. We are glad you stayed with us and that you enjoyed your visit to Tybee Island. I really appreciate you mentioning the quality service that my team members deliver. They are a great group of caring professionals. We are so excited for "A-J's Beachside Restaurant and Bar" to open. The A-J's team will be spending the next month completing their remodeling plans. I anticipate them opening sometime in March. The addition of such a great restaurant to the hotel is something I know our guests will love for years to come.

Thank you again for the great review! Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!