“Typical Beach Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Roswell, Georgia
“Typical Beach Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The good: The staff at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort gets 5-stars. Very accommodating, friendly & helpful. The location of the hotel is quite good - a short walk to the sandy beach of Tybee Island with several restaurants and shops all within walking distance of the hotel.

The not-so-good: Understand that the word "resort" is used quite loosely. Not sure what year this hotel was built, but my guess would be the 1960's. It's a rather generic hotel, typical for a beach hotel...and if you're looking for a 5-star experience at a 2.5 star price, this certainly is not the answer (then again, does that exist anywhere?). Hotel was clean but things looked quite dated...not sure what year the beds were last replaced, but the ones in our room look like they had been there quite awhile.

In the final analysis, you get what you pay for. Would I stay there again? Sure, as long as the price is right and your expectations are in-line.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
We appreciate you visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. The hotel was purchased on July 31st and we have been working around the clock making improvements. This winter season we will be remodeling and improving many aspects of the hotel. Thank you for recognizing the great team we have at the Ocean Plaza. They are absolutely incredible.

I hope you will plan to revisit us in the spring or summer of 2015. I think you will really enjoy the progress we've made. Until next time...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
niagara falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Beach Plaza Nov. 9 for two nights. We really find Tybee island very relaxing. We enjoy the quiet of the island in the off season as they say Tybee Time. Chrystal was great at check and John helping reserve on the phone. Hope to return in the winter. As we head back to Florida. We drove into Savannah for the day then back to the island for drinks and dinner within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We can't thank you enough for allowing us to host your "Tybee Time" and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you for recognizing the hard work and dedication of my team members. I'm blessed to have an amazing group of caring individuals at this hotel. We have just started the remodeling process. We can't wait to share our improvements with you.

Hope you have a great winter! We'll see you soon...safe travels.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A local laughed when I told them I was staying here. But apparently, the Ocean Plaza is under new management and undergoing renovations. I found the "new" Ocean Plaza to be clean, quiet, comfortable, up-to-date and friendly. The linens and towels were plush and clean and obviously new. My king-sized bed was comfy. I could lay in my bed and watch the waves crash on the beach. And I was steps from the beach itself and the Tybee Island Pier.

I was also within walking distance of tons of restaurants and shops. (Be sure to check out "The Breakfast Club" next door! O.M.G!) Thankfully, Tybee Island is still warmly and comfortably southern shabby! Seriously, I could not have been happier.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I LOVED your story about the local resident...thank you for sharing it with me personally. We recognized at the time we purchased the hotel that it needed significant improvements. We also recognized that it had developed a poor reputation. We have made huge strides in the right direction both with the hotel itself, the staff and improving our reputation. One employee recently shared with me, "I love coming to work and can't believe how far we've come in such a short time." Honestly, the improvements across the board have been nothing short of amazing. I am blessed to have the best group of caring hospitality professionals that I've ever had the pleasure to work with. This week we have officially started our off-season remodeling program. I have no doubt that you will be incredibly impressed with our efforts over the next few months. Please plan a return visit in 2015. Thanks again for the great review. It is really appreciated.

Until next time...safe travels.

Springfield, Mo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The rooms were older but nice and clean. The owner says a remodel is in progress. I would bring your own pillows until this place is revamped, they need better pillows. Be aware the hotel restaurant is also closed for the remodel. There are two nice restaurants in easy walking distance. The Breakfast club and the Sunrise Restaurant. We had breakfast at the Sunrise. The breakfast was very good and affordable, 15 dollars for 2 folks with drinks.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for acknowledging that the guest rooms are clean and well maintained. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st my team and I have been working diligently making improvements. As part of our "Phase One" remodeling of the hotel, we will be drastically improving our beds. In addition, we will be ordering all new pillows. Each bed will offer a combination of both firm and soft pillows. I apologize that our restaurant was closed, but it is a necessary step to upgrading the overall guest experience. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. We hope you will come back in 2015 and experience our improvements.

Until next time...safe travels.

East Burke, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Spent last weekend at the Ocean Plaza and couldn't have had a better time. The view of the ocean from the 4th floor can't be beat. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the towels and bedding appeared to be new. All the staff were super friendly too. It's obvious that the new owners are working hard to improve the quality of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st my team and I have been working around the clock improving housekeeping and maintenance. Next week we start our "Phase One" of our extensive remodeling program. We are incredibly excited for the future of our hotel. Please consider a return visit in the Spring or Summer of 2015 to experience our improvements.

Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels!

Blasdell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked this hotel for a last minute vacation and was not disappointed! The rooms were clean, the towels plentiful and the location was great! We had ocean view rooms and could sit out on the balcony and had a gorgeous view of the ocean. We didn't need to drive to go anywhere (unless of course we wanted to). There were plenty of restaurants and shops right within walking distance. The pier was just steps from this hotel as well as the area with all of the bars and restaurants. I can't say enough about this hotel. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Definitely get the ocean view, it's worth the extra money. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you vacationing on Tybee Island and taking time to post a review of your stay. As you mentioned, our location is borderline "ideal". We are literally steps away from the ocean and offer breathtaking views from our 3rd and 4th floor rooms. There is nothing better than waking up, enjoying coffee on your private balcony and watching dolphins swim up and down the beach. We've only owned the hotel since July 31st and have been working around the clock making improvements. Next week we kick off our remodeling program. Please consider "liking" our facebook page where we will be posting regular updates on our progress. We would love to share our improvements with you in 2015.

Until next time...safe travels!

Clarkesville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Rooms are dated but clean. Needs some upgrades which the manager said were on the way. A flat screen tv would have been nice. The wifi connection is like watching grass grow. At times, smoke signals would have been quicker. We were on the 4th floor and had a great view. Problem.
Only one elevator goes to the 4th floor and guess what? Yep, it broke. Had to walk down one flight of stair and take that elevator. Wasn't a problem until time to load up and leave.
On the plus side, many shops and restaurants are within walking distance which is good because anywhere you park in the city, you have to pay for parking.
I would probably stay there again but only on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying at our hotel and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for the elevator breaking down. The rooms tower you were staying in was originally built as a three story structure. When the forth floor was added, they added a second elevator but kept the original elevator only going to the third floor. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st we have been addressing maintenance and housekeeping throughout the hotel. This was the first time the elevator has gone down and does not appear to be a chronic issue. Our other rooms tower has two elevators that both reach the fourth floor. I'm glad you enjoyed our stunning views and proximity to all the local restaurants, bars and shops. We will be replacing all the TVs in the hotel with new flat screens. In addition we will be enhancing our channel lineup and providing HD channels. I was tickled to read that despite the elevator issue that you would come back. Please plan a visit in the spring or summer of 2015 after we complete "Phase One" of our three year improvement plan.

Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!