“Tybee time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
niagara falls
“Tybee time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Beach Plaza Nov. 9 for two nights. We really find Tybee island very relaxing. We enjoy the quiet of the island in the off season as they say Tybee Time. Chrystal was great at check and John helping reserve on the phone. Hope to return in the winter. As we head back to Florida. We drove into Savannah for the day then back to the island for drinks and dinner within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We can't thank you enough for allowing us to host your "Tybee Time" and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Thank you for recognizing the hard work and dedication of my team members. I'm blessed to have an amazing group of caring individuals at this hotel. We have just started the remodeling process. We can't wait to share our improvements with you.

Hope you have a great winter! We'll see you soon...safe travels.

bloehr@linchris.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A local laughed when I told them I was staying here. But apparently, the Ocean Plaza is under new management and undergoing renovations. I found the "new" Ocean Plaza to be clean, quiet, comfortable, up-to-date and friendly. The linens and towels were plush and clean and obviously new. My king-sized bed was comfy. I could lay in my bed and watch the waves crash on the beach. And I was steps from the beach itself and the Tybee Island Pier.

I was also within walking distance of tons of restaurants and shops. (Be sure to check out "The Breakfast Club" next door! O.M.G!) Thankfully, Tybee Island is still warmly and comfortably southern shabby! Seriously, I could not have been happier.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I LOVED your story about the local resident...thank you for sharing it with me personally. We recognized at the time we purchased the hotel that it needed significant improvements. We also recognized that it had developed a poor reputation. We have made huge strides in the right direction both with the hotel itself, the staff and improving our reputation. One employee recently shared with me, "I love coming to work and can't believe how far we've come in such a short time." Honestly, the improvements across the board have been nothing short of amazing. I am blessed to have the best group of caring hospitality professionals that I've ever had the pleasure to work with. This week we have officially started our off-season remodeling program. I have no doubt that you will be incredibly impressed with our efforts over the next few months. Please plan a return visit in 2015. Thanks again for the great review. It is really appreciated.

Until next time...safe travels.

Springfield, Mo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms were older but nice and clean. The owner says a remodel is in progress. I would bring your own pillows until this place is revamped, they need better pillows. Be aware the hotel restaurant is also closed for the remodel. There are two nice restaurants in easy walking distance. The Breakfast club and the Sunrise Restaurant. We had breakfast at the Sunrise. The breakfast was very good and affordable, 15 dollars for 2 folks with drinks.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for acknowledging that the guest rooms are clean and well maintained. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st my team and I have been working diligently making improvements. As part of our "Phase One" remodeling of the hotel, we will be drastically improving our beds. In addition, we will be ordering all new pillows. Each bed will offer a combination of both firm and soft pillows. I apologize that our restaurant was closed, but it is a necessary step to upgrading the overall guest experience. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. We hope you will come back in 2015 and experience our improvements.

Until next time...safe travels.

East Burke, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent last weekend at the Ocean Plaza and couldn't have had a better time. The view of the ocean from the 4th floor can't be beat. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the towels and bedding appeared to be new. All the staff were super friendly too. It's obvious that the new owners are working hard to improve the quality of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st my team and I have been working around the clock improving housekeeping and maintenance. Next week we start our "Phase One" of our extensive remodeling program. We are incredibly excited for the future of our hotel. Please consider a return visit in the Spring or Summer of 2015 to experience our improvements.

Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels!

Blasdell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked this hotel for a last minute vacation and was not disappointed! The rooms were clean, the towels plentiful and the location was great! We had ocean view rooms and could sit out on the balcony and had a gorgeous view of the ocean. We didn't need to drive to go anywhere (unless of course we wanted to). There were plenty of restaurants and shops right within walking distance. The pier was just steps from this hotel as well as the area with all of the bars and restaurants. I can't say enough about this hotel. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Definitely get the ocean view, it's worth the extra money. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you vacationing on Tybee Island and taking time to post a review of your stay. As you mentioned, our location is borderline "ideal". We are literally steps away from the ocean and offer breathtaking views from our 3rd and 4th floor rooms. There is nothing better than waking up, enjoying coffee on your private balcony and watching dolphins swim up and down the beach. We've only owned the hotel since July 31st and have been working around the clock making improvements. Next week we kick off our remodeling program. Please consider "liking" our facebook page where we will be posting regular updates on our progress. We would love to share our improvements with you in 2015.

Until next time...safe travels!

Clarkesville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Rooms are dated but clean. Needs some upgrades which the manager said were on the way. A flat screen tv would have been nice. The wifi connection is like watching grass grow. At times, smoke signals would have been quicker. We were on the 4th floor and had a great view. Problem.
Only one elevator goes to the 4th floor and guess what? Yep, it broke. Had to walk down one flight of stair and take that elevator. Wasn't a problem until time to load up and leave.
On the plus side, many shops and restaurants are within walking distance which is good because anywhere you park in the city, you have to pay for parking.
I would probably stay there again but only on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for vacationing on Tybee Island, staying at our hotel and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for the elevator breaking down. The rooms tower you were staying in was originally built as a three story structure. When the forth floor was added, they added a second elevator but kept the original elevator only going to the third floor. Since purchasing the hotel on July 31st we have been addressing maintenance and housekeeping throughout the hotel. This was the first time the elevator has gone down and does not appear to be a chronic issue. Our other rooms tower has two elevators that both reach the fourth floor. I'm glad you enjoyed our stunning views and proximity to all the local restaurants, bars and shops. We will be replacing all the TVs in the hotel with new flat screens. In addition we will be enhancing our channel lineup and providing HD channels. I was tickled to read that despite the elevator issue that you would come back. Please plan a visit in the spring or summer of 2015 after we complete "Phase One" of our three year improvement plan.

Until next time...safe travels!

Vinings, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was hump day at work and I was really wishing it was Friday. I decided I needed to forget work for the rest of the week and head down to Tybee to hang with the awesome locals. I knew it wasn't going to be beach-going weather but I still wanted to wake up to that ocean sunrise. So I went online and booked a room with an ocean view for couple days at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort.

Let's be clear. My intent was not to stay in a hotel room for a couple days. The room was going to be a place in which I'd pass out or host, um, potential company. My overall concern was that I got my ocean view and that the outlets worked to keep my devices juiced.

The free WiFi worked fine even though I didn't get any responses to the Craigslist Ad I placed in the Casual Encounters section (I knew I shouldn't have included that pic). My TV was a flatscreen, the bed was big, and the sheets were clean and comfy.

The restaurant in the resort was undergoing renovations, but that didn't matter because I'm not much of a hotel-bar-kinda-guy when traveling for pleasure.

I stumbled home on Thursday night (30 Oct) and found myself staring at the incredibly clear sky. Then I looked down and realized my feet were in the ocean - not sure how I ended up there. It wasn't cold, but then I moved back to my room after convincing myself I was going to get eaten by a shark at 3AM (that's what grey goose does to me).

Found myself back on my balcony and was looking intently at the Pegasus Arm of the Milky Way when I realized I had sand in my boxers. Not sure how it got there because I believe I wasn't pantsless for most of my 3AM beach stroll. Decided to shower before passing out and everything worked as expected. I admit that it wasn't the biggest shower I've ever used, and I thought the shower head could've been placed a little higher (why do they place them so low anyway? Did too many short people complain that the water was taking too long to hit their small bodies?). Quite frankly it seemed a little dated. But I'm not an interior designer - all I care about is that the thing worked, and it successfully removed the sand from my unmentionable areas.

I learned the next day that I used the fridge for some bottled water and, apparently, a small bag of pretzels. The one negative I encountered was that I didn't have a "Do Not Disturb" door hanger. So I made one because I'm doing everyone a favor if we can avoid someone walking in on me. Later on during my stay I found they had provided one. We all win!

Morning views were incredible. After my new friend left I hung out on the balcony in the sun. It was actually pretty warm. It gave me a little more color which I leveraged into my Halloween costume later (I went as a middle-aged guy who sat in the sun earlier).

Parking was easy and free. Bars and restaurants were all within walking distance. And the views were amazing both in the morning and late night (even when I had "company"). I never once heard my neighbors, and I don't think they heard me. Overall it was a pleasant, affordable, quick getaway and was exactly what I needed. I'll definitely go back again, especially during the offseason.

Room Tip: Highly recommend an ocean view. I'm not sure what they price differential is during the peak se...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
You win the most entertaining review of the month! Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and allowing us to host your mini-adventure. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We've only owned the hotel since July 31st and are starting "Phase One" of a three year improvement plan. We would love to share our property with you again in 2015. Please be sure to include us on your future "relaxation and rejuvenation escapes".

Thanks again for staying with us. Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!