“Dont listen to bad reviews. All hotels in tybee had more bad than good.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
“Dont listen to bad reviews. All hotels in tybee had more bad than good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Not a four star hotel. But as nice as any holiday inn express or country inn that I have stayed at. Room is large and was clean, had no musty smell. A small parking lot away from the beach and a short walk to resturants and bars. The reviews had me worried but most reviews are bad in my experience so I took the time to leave a good one. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel had a great location. We could walk to restaurants, shops, Tybee Pier, and of course, the beach. We arrived early prior to the room being ready and the front desk immediately issued a parking pass, which was great since the whole town is "pay to park." The room was a little dated, but seemed clean. The carpet felt dirty, but that has been my experience with beach hotels. We loved the balcony and would recommend the ocean view on an upper level. The cleaning staff was very obliging when we asked for additional supplies. The beds were pretty uncomfortable, but I am to understand that this will be remedied during the upcoming remodel. We decided to try the Dolphin Reef Restaurant and unfortunately found this to be a rather disappointing experience. We were immediately greeted and seated which was great! However, the food was not up to par with the pricing and our server seemed to forget about us for long stretches at a time. My kids loved the fancy glasses! This could be a great place to eat if the prices were lower or the food was better (or both). I regret that we were unable to utilize the two pools or the new Tiki Bar. The weather was not cooperative. We had a really good experience all in all and will look to The Ocean Plaza when we return to Tybee.

Room Tip: Choose upper level (4th) Ocean view to be able to see over the high dunes.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Wade
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Ok. So everytime our neighbors opened and closed their sliding glass door on the balcony it made a horrible racket, which they proceeded to do about 1000 times a day. Hotel was run down but the view was nice. They need to either close the restaurant or fix the menu nothing was right with our meal the only thing that made it worth it was the amazing lightning storm we got to watch while eating. Overall though, Id stay here again if the price made a bit more sense. We had a good trip and it was nice to wake up and look at the ocean from our balcony.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee and staying at our hotel. We really appreciate you taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We purchased the hotel on July 31st and are in our final planning stages before starting our remodeling program. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and rest assured that we are working on improving the restaurant. We are also seeing solutions for the noise generated from our sliding glass doors. We hope to serve you in the future.

Until next time...safe travels!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For the price I was a little disappointed. Rooms seem dated. The rooms were dirty (booked two of them). Had to call housekeeping due to the tub being filthy and housekeeping didn't even touch behind the headboards and all the layers of cobwebs.

Location to the ocean is perfect.

Dolphin Reef restaurant was good as far as the food. The breakfast staff seemed like guests are an inconvience.

I hope the little things improve for them but likely will not visit their location again.

• Stayed September 2014
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for staying with us and posting a review of your experience on TripAdvisor. I apologize for not meeting or exceeding your expectations. We purchased the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort on July 31st. My team members and I have been working around the clock to improve the hotel. Please know that we recognize the need for remodeling the guestrooms and bathrooms. We have designers arriving next week. We will be implementing their plans over the next few months. I'm glad you liked our location and food. We are working with our restaurant team members on the importance of offering quality service consistently. I will be reviewing your post personally with the breakfast team. I genuinely hope that you will re-consider staying with us in the future. We are dedicated to earning back your business. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you.

Safe travels,
Woodstock, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This property is a short walk across a small parking walk, up the boardwalk to go over pretty dunes and you're on the clean, lovely beach of Tybee Island! We went to check in and realized we had booked the night before by mistake. The very accommodating front desk worker quickly changed my reservation to the current day with no attitude, no extra charge and no problem at all! Wonderful! He said the property has new owners who plan a total renovation. The existing facilities and rooms could use a little refresh so this place will only go up, up, up! The location is super and all that is currently there is clean and well-maintained. Staff is very accommodating. There are local shops, restaurants, activities and beautiful water there on Tybee with Savannah just 30 minutes away with much to do and see. This is a great place for an over night stay or a longer vacation! Can't wait to come back! Many thanks for a nice stay!

Room Tip: Try to view the beach!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Thank you sooooooo much for visiting Tybee Island, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy the our team member on the desk was able to seamlessly get you checked-in and handle the reservation correction. Since purchasing the hotel I have empowered every team member to "do what is right" and "take care of our guests". It has been a wonderful transformation and growth opportunity for all of us. There is one way to do "it" and that is "the right way". We promise to continue making daily improvements to the hotel. We've already come so far that it amazes me. Our maintenance and housekeeping team members are approaching their jobs with new vigor and it shows through in all the positive guest feedback. PLEASE take time to like us on Facebook. We have a great page that is extremely interactive. Our hotel's "fans" are helping shape what we will become. These are exciting times on Tybee Island.

We will look forward to seeing you on a return trip. Until next time...safe travels!!!

Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We just had our daughter's wedding at Tybee and this was a hotel,on the beach. There is a parking lot between you and the beach but this resort is in great shape; very accommodating. There's not a lot of night life on Tybee for younger people; but lots of fun relaxing places for the boomers! The hotel is a great family location.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We cannot thank you enough for letting us host your daughter's wedding. I'm so happy that everything went well. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE WEDDINGS! My team gets so excited about hosting family celebrations. Since purchasing the hotel, I remain amazed at what an incredible team I inherited. They are hands down the hardest working and most caring group of professionals that I've ever been affiliated with. Please let your daughter know that we would be honored if she would come back to celebrate her first anniversary with us. Thank you again for the opportunity to be part of your family's special day.

Hope to see you again. Until next time...safe travels!

Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The best thing about this hotel was the parking was free, so you can park your car with no worries and walk to the beach in a few short steps, walk to great food in a few short steps. All the tourist shopping is right next to the hotel. The pier is right at the hotel. And the view from the Dolphin Reef Restaurant is amazing! We went there for drinks and watched the sunset. It was beautiful.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor. I cannot begin to tell you how many guests share with me their "love" of our ample parking lot. Personally, I absolutely love vacations that don't include driving. I like to get to my destination and relax. When I decide to go somewhere, I lean toward a taxi or preferably by foot. The Ocean Plaza has the absolute perfect location for vacationers that share similar interests. The beach, nightlife and shopping are all in easy walking distance.

We can't wait to see you again in the future. Until then...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!