“Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Augusta, Georgia
“Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The best thing about this hotel was the parking was free, so you can park your car with no worries and walk to the beach in a few short steps, walk to great food in a few short steps. All the tourist shopping is right next to the hotel. The pier is right at the hotel. And the view from the Dolphin Reef Restaurant is amazing! We went there for drinks and watched the sunset. It was beautiful.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Just returned from staying there spent time watching renovations that are still being done. Great location. Great staff and service. Can't wait till we go again so I can see what more they have completed. Shops pier and places to eat within two minutes walking beach close as in a public parking all between room and beach. Keep up the great work ocean plaza.

• Stayed September 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed for a weekend get away. Based on the reviews I had read this is a property going through renovation. It did feel outdated however I had no concerns with cleanliness. The location is in the middle of everything in Tybee so you never have to get in your car again until it's time to leave. This is a great little town and if you're looking for a 2 or 3 day escape from Atlanta this is a decent hotel for the trip. If you're staying longer get one of the many vacation rentals on the island but this is a perfect place to shower, sleep, and plan your next excursion. I look forward to seeing what the new management does with the place, we will be back.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you so much for visiting Tybee, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are committed to providing an outstanding vacation value to all of our friends in Atlanta. We continue to finalize our remodeling plans for this winter. Some items are already in the works. Some are fun and exciting...others (new roofs) not so much so. Please like our Facebook page and follow our progress this winter.

Hope to see you again! Until next time...safe travels.

atlanta, ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Location is great, easy beach access and within walking distance of shops and eateries. Could use some updates in the bathroom and with the tv. The staff were friendly and helpful. Has large parking area (something not found at most of the other area hotels).

Room Tip: Sand dune and ocean view rooms overlook a public parking lot
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you visiting Tybee, staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Please know that we will be addressing the bathrooms and TVs this coming winter when we remodel. We purchased the hotel on 7/31/14 and are working diligently to spruce up the hotel. I hope you will come back next year and experience our improvements.

Thanks again for visiting Tybee. Until next time...safe travels!

Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here for a couple nights in early September. The location is the best part of the hotel. It's on the beach and in walking distance to most of the bars/restaurants/shops on the island, if not all (a good cluster of them). We parked our car and didn't need it while we were on the island.

The price was right for a beach property. The room was clean and standard. A bit outdated and the bathroom definitely needs to be renovated. However, I felt that the linens were clean (sheets, towels) and that is really important. The balcony is nice (ours did not face the ocean).
I felt that the hallways and elevator were clean. Staff was nice enough, nothing stellar.

The restaurant. Oh boy. Now we didn't go for dinner, so I can only speak about breakfast. The view is great... Big window that faces the ocean. The decor, eh, ok. The breakfast food though.... Yikes!!!! For starters, they charge $7.99 for the continental and it's embarrassing.... It should be free for what they had. I don't think I have ever seen that bad of spread that you pay money for. Really bad (all frozen I'm sure). I think Red Roof Inn has a better spread and it's free. For $9, you can have an omelet. Again... Eek. Took forever and it was pretty nasty. I would have walked out if the staff wasn't as nice, but they were very nice so we stayed.

Overall, I would stay here again. Won't eat there, but would stay due to the great location and standard clean room.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I agree that the hotel has a wonderful and amazing location. It is hands down the best vacation destination on Tybee Island. I appreciate your positive feed back regarding our cleanliness. Since 7/31/14 (the day we purchased the hotel), we have been scrubbing and deep cleaning the hotel. We've scrubbed on our hands and knees. We've worked inside and out. Its been a wonderful testament to the caring and dedicated team I inherited with the purchase. My team members and guests seem to understand that the remodeling program needs to wait for our slower winter season. Things are moving along quickly and I believe we are still on schedule to really impress our summer 2015 guests. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy our breakfast. Since your visit, we have made some significant improvements to the breakfast and will continue tweaking it until we get it "perfect". PLEASE consider following us on Facebook and keeping up with our progress this winter.

Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed here before but this time may be the last. The location is great and the people at the desk are nice and courteous. However the hotel room could use an update. The carpet smelt so bad in the halway. The tubs were yellow. They could clean them a little bit better. We still had previous sand in the shower. The toilet ran all night and all day. The place just needs to be updated and cleaned a little better. I still will continue to stay here though when I visit

• Stayed September 2014
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We agree 110%...we have plenty of "opportunities" for significant improvement. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Since purchasing the hotel on 7/31 my amazing team has started the long process of reinventing the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. The overnight improvements have been more than impressive and speak to the entire team's eagerness to look to our future versus the past. We will, I promise, make the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort a quality hotel, restaurant and conference center. Please contact me directly when booking your next visit. I want to make sure you get one of our remodeled rooms. Thanks again for the opportunity to serve you.

Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!