“What a great stay and only going to get better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Tybee Island
Lower Waterford, Vermont
“What a great stay and only going to get better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Had never been to the area and friends recommended this Hotel which we found out was under new ownership. From the moment we checked in the staff was incredibly kind, courteous and accommodating. Marina was especially nice. We took a walk on the beach and onto the gazebo. What a great place to relax and recharge. We can't wait to return to the area and see the transformation the new owners make to this already amazing place!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee and staying at our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel, staff, beach and pier area. Being relatively new to Tybee myself I have fallen in LOVE with the island and all it has to offer. It is a wonderful vacation destination for couples and families. This weekend we were full with guests celebrating the Labor Day holiday. We all had a great time and enjoyed fireworks directly in front of the hotel. It was incredible! I will pass on your kind comments to Marina. She is a rising star at the hotel and regularly gets praise from our guests for going "above and beyond" their expectations.

We hope to see you again in the future. Until next time...safe travels!

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had the best family reunion to date at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. From the staff providing excellent customer service, our room with a view of the ocean, and the kids enjoying their time in the pool. We could not have made a better choice. The resort is under new ownership and management. You can already see a difference in the operation. They have great plans for the resort. My family and I already have our extended family convinced to hold our reunion at the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort next August.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you so much for having your reunion on Tybee Island, staying at our hotel and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We LOVE hosting weddings and reunions. It is always a pleasure to share in families special events. As you mentioned, we purchased the hotel just over a month ago and are in the planning stages of a major remodeling project. We would really appreciate the opportunity to host your reunion again in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.

Until next time...safe travels.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

What went right: we were checked into a room that matched the criteria we specified when we booked.

What went wrong: to say the room was subpar would be an understatement. The carpet was stiff and felt waxy. I wanted to leave my shoes on. There was an odor that seemed to cling to our belongings for days after our one night visit. The bathroom was very dated and the tub was stained. I was reluctant even use the shower. Fixtures were cheap and grimy. The worst part, and probably the reason I am writing this review, is that one of the blankets was stained. We requested a different blanket and gave the stained blanket to the person who brought it. I asked that the manager be shown this stain and asked for the manager to call us. When the manager called, I told her that I was unhappy about the cleanliness of the room - particularly the stained blanket. I asked to be compensated because we paid for a clean room. The manager told me that the stain we observed was "from the dryer" and invited me to come "touch it myself." She absolutely refused to compensate us for the filth we paid to wallow in. We will never ever ever ever ever stay there again.

We visited early in August. I hope new management can fix this.

• Stayed August 2014
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We purchased the hotel on July 31st and immediately started to make improvements to the hotel. I am focused on training and holding team members accountable. My management team has placed any rooms deemed "unacceptable" out of order until repairs are made. We are in the process of designing a remodeling project that will be completed this coming winter season. Beyond that point, we will utilize a three year capital improvement plan to ensure that every year we are better than before. In the interim, EVERY team member has been empowered to make sure our guests are satisfied. I encourage you to call me directly so I can make sure you are compensated fairly. My team and I are 110% committed to offering Tybee's absolute best overnight accommodations and dining experience.

We hope you reconsider and will allow us the opportunity to serve you in the future. I am confident that you will be very happy you did.

Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our cross country team recently visited Tybee Island while running in Savannah.
Curry Niccolini in the sales department at Ocean Plaza went above and beyond to help us coordinate everything! :
I wanted to thank you and the staff at Ocean Plaza for the great job you guys did while we ‘invaded’ OP.
The ladies up front were most helpful at all times, the housekeepers were very understanding of our late check-out, the 5:30 am desk on Saturday morning was most gracious to allow us to use the convention center for breakfast (we used the room to meet/eat before we left), and the team that adjusted to us using the covered end of the pool for Saturday lunch were all GREAT.
Thank you for all of your hard work, and willingness to go the extra mile for our team. You did a great job earning our business this year and can count on us returning in the future because of your (and your team’s) guest relations skills! No one is more important that your guests- you guys obviously understand that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
WE LOVE GROUPS!!! Thank you so much for bringing your cross-country team to the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort. I really appreciate you recognizing Curry and my team's efforts. They are an amazing group of professionals. Please know that we will be remodeling the hotel this coming winter season. We will look forward to hosting your group for years to come.

Thank you again for allowing us to host your team. Until next time...safe travels!!!

boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a great time at the Ocean Plaza and Resort on Tybee island. Amazing beach and quaint town. Reminds me of a small Cape Cod. Looking forward to returning as it is now under new ownership who intend to renovate. The beach is large and beautiful to run on. We ate at the restaurant and had a nice meal. The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Try booking a room on the ocean front and at least the 2nd floor to get a great view of the water.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed Tybee and our magnificent beach. Since purchasing the hotel, we have made significant improvements to our restaurant and the sports bar. Our guests are raving about the new menu. The only rooms that offer ocean views are on our 3rd and 4th floors oceanside. We have a limited number of rooms on the second floor that have a view of the ocean. I like to point out to our first time guests that between the hotel and beach access there is a parking lot. Lower floors do not have ocean views.

We hope to see you again. Until next time...safe travels!

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We are from out of state; visited Savannah for a few days and decided to see what Georgia's beach is like so we visited Tybee Island Aug. 1-4. Three weeks prior to our visit, on-line searching, found Ocean Plaza and availability of a "dune view" room with a balcony for those days. Info and pictures on-line represented a very nice motel. During our visit, we were very pleased with the clean beach and the Atlantic Ocean and the beach swings and enjoyed our time on the beach. Unfortunately, can't say we were pleased with anything at Ocean Plaza. The room/motel is very old and outrageously expensive for a first floor room that overlooks the "public" parking lot and no "dune" view except the boardwalk ramp. If you dare leave the drapes open to see, the "public" is looking in on you. As for balcony, who wants to sit and look at cars parked right in front of you? The front desk service was not friendly or helpful. The room keys were issued in a cardpocket that invited you to play golf at the "oldest" golf club in Georgia, the Savannah Golf Club. When asked, the front desk couldn't tell us anything about the club or playing there; after investigating further we found out the Savannah Club is private, members only, yet your motel is advertising it as an amenity? Also, couldn't the motel furnish some beach chairs and umbrellas for their guests, especially charging them these room rates? We loved the Tybee/Georgia beach, the lighthouse, Fort Pulaski and enjoyed several of the local restaurants but will be looking for other accommodations for future visits.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the "dune view" first floor. If that's all they have available, fin...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Please know that we purchased the hotel just 24 hours prior to your arrival. I am VERY sorry we didn't meet your expectations. My front desk staff and reservationists are now careful not to portray our "parking lot view" as anything other than a "parking lot view". We will be remodeling the hotel this coming winter. I hope that you will re-consider us on your next visit. I will upgrade your room to a full ocean view at no additional charge.

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to serve you. Safe travels!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Me and my husband come to Tybee *every* October for our wedding anniversary. It's like a tradition now. We've always stayed at the Ocean Plaza and have always been treated very nicely. We look forward to visiting this year with the new ownership. The hotel is within walking distance to shops, entertainment, beach and the pier. We park at the hotel and walk everywhere during our trip. The rooms are just fine with the amenities like hairdryers, fridge and balconies. We highly recommend staying here. The price and the staff make your trip for enjoyable. Can't wait to see everyone in October - The Thompson's

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your past patronage and letting us be part of your annual anniversary celebration. We are excited to welcome you back in October. Please keep in mind that we've only owned the hotel for just over two weeks. The bulk of our guestroom remodeling plans will be executed this coming winter. Please consider following us on Facebook to watch our progress.

Looking forward to seeing you in October. Until then...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!