“Group travel arrangements” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Tybee Island
Buford, Georgia
“Group travel arrangements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our cross country team recently visited Tybee Island while running in Savannah.
Curry Niccolini in the sales department at Ocean Plaza went above and beyond to help us coordinate everything! :
I wanted to thank you and the staff at Ocean Plaza for the great job you guys did while we ‘invaded’ OP.
The ladies up front were most helpful at all times, the housekeepers were very understanding of our late check-out, the 5:30 am desk on Saturday morning was most gracious to allow us to use the convention center for breakfast (we used the room to meet/eat before we left), and the team that adjusted to us using the covered end of the pool for Saturday lunch were all GREAT.
Thank you for all of your hard work, and willingness to go the extra mile for our team. You did a great job earning our business this year and can count on us returning in the future because of your (and your team’s) guest relations skills! No one is more important that your guests- you guys obviously understand that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Had a great time at the Ocean Plaza and Resort on Tybee island. Amazing beach and quaint town. Reminds me of a small Cape Cod. Looking forward to returning as it is now under new ownership who intend to renovate. The beach is large and beautiful to run on. We ate at the restaurant and had a nice meal. The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Try booking a room on the ocean front and at least the 2nd floor to get a great view of the water.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We are from out of state; visited Savannah for a few days and decided to see what Georgia's beach is like so we visited Tybee Island Aug. 1-4. Three weeks prior to our visit, on-line searching, found Ocean Plaza and availability of a "dune view" room with a balcony for those days. Info and pictures on-line represented a very nice motel. During our visit, we were very pleased with the clean beach and the Atlantic Ocean and the beach swings and enjoyed our time on the beach. Unfortunately, can't say we were pleased with anything at Ocean Plaza. The room/motel is very old and outrageously expensive for a first floor room that overlooks the "public" parking lot and no "dune" view except the boardwalk ramp. If you dare leave the drapes open to see, the "public" is looking in on you. As for balcony, who wants to sit and look at cars parked right in front of you? The front desk service was not friendly or helpful. The room keys were issued in a cardpocket that invited you to play golf at the "oldest" golf club in Georgia, the Savannah Golf Club. When asked, the front desk couldn't tell us anything about the club or playing there; after investigating further we found out the Savannah Club is private, members only, yet your motel is advertising it as an amenity? Also, couldn't the motel furnish some beach chairs and umbrellas for their guests, especially charging them these room rates? We loved the Tybee/Georgia beach, the lighthouse, Fort Pulaski and enjoyed several of the local restaurants but will be looking for other accommodations for future visits.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the "dune view" first floor. If that's all they have available, fin...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee Island and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Please know that we purchased the hotel just 24 hours prior to your arrival. I am VERY sorry we didn't meet your expectations. My front desk staff and reservationists are now careful not to portray our "parking lot view" as anything other than a "parking lot view". We will be remodeling the hotel this coming winter. I hope that you will re-consider us on your next visit. I will upgrade your room to a full ocean view at no additional charge.

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to serve you. Safe travels!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Me and my husband come to Tybee *every* October for our wedding anniversary. It's like a tradition now. We've always stayed at the Ocean Plaza and have always been treated very nicely. We look forward to visiting this year with the new ownership. The hotel is within walking distance to shops, entertainment, beach and the pier. We park at the hotel and walk everywhere during our trip. The rooms are just fine with the amenities like hairdryers, fridge and balconies. We highly recommend staying here. The price and the staff make your trip for enjoyable. Can't wait to see everyone in October - The Thompson's

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your past patronage and letting us be part of your annual anniversary celebration. We are excited to welcome you back in October. Please keep in mind that we've only owned the hotel for just over two weeks. The bulk of our guestroom remodeling plans will be executed this coming winter. Please consider following us on Facebook to watch our progress.

Looking forward to seeing you in October. Until then...safe travels!

Henryville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel reading some of the older reviews I was nervous to see what I was getting into. But the staff was great and everything was clean. I had breakfast in the morning and they had great food with fruit carving spread out the service was also outstanding. As for dinner the chefs had some great specials and I tried some of the drink specials as well they were also good got to love freshly squeezed juice. I did here from the staff that they got new owners. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the chefs creations
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
OPBR Management T, Owner at Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for visiting Tybee and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit. I have absolutely fallen in love with the hotel, staff and Tybee Island as a whole. It is such a relaxing/safe place to visit, live and work. Please keep us in mind for future vacations, reunions and family events. We anticipate our property will be completing "Phase 1" of our big remodeling project by Spring 2015. You may want to consider "liking" us on Facebook where we will post updates all winter long of our progress.

Thanks again for staying with us! Until next time...safe travels!

Clay City, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel was a little dated but was great for us. We were not there for the rooms to be first class just clean, and they were. We had oceanview on the 4th floor. The sunrises were awesome. The staff at desk were not that helpful until I complained to manager, then they went out of their way to be nice. Shouldn't have to complain to get decent service. All in all nice place to stay. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want oceanview stay on 4th floor on north or south sides
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I cannot thank you enough for visiting Tybee, staying with us and sharing your experience. The hotel was bought on 7/31/14 fully recognizing that we had plenty of "opportunities for improvement". My team members and I are wildly excited about our future improvements. I'm sorry that there was an issue at the front desk that wasn't immediately resolved to your satisfaction. I create a culture of empowerment and taking ownership. Each team member is in the process of embracing my expectations and learning. I do my very best to lead by example. If we make a mistake we take responsibility and "make things right". I'm glad that you came away satisfied and hope you will come back to experience our new hotel in the spring/summer of 2015.

Again, thank you for your patience and the opportunity to serve you. Until next time...safe travels!

Alsip
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our first visit to Tybee Island and I was kind of concerned about staying at Ocean Plaza due to some negative reviews from the week before. Well, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this hotel turned out to be. We were in a suite on the second floor and it was very roomy and CLEAN. We had an ocean view from our balcony and we learned that the view is even better from the third and fourth floors. The beds were comfortable; however, the covers around the box spring mattresses need to be upgraded due to some rips and tears. The motel was quiet, and there were no problems.The pool was clean and in good repair. This hotel is not right on the beach but it's as close to the beach as you can get because of a sand dune and a public parking lot in front of it. I didn't find that to be a problem at all. There are wooden walkways over the sand dunes so it is easy to get to the beach.

Room Tip: Get a fourth floor ocean side room if you want a great view of the ocean and the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
We really appreciate you visiting Tybee for the first time and allowing us to host your visit. My team and I genuinely appreciate your kind comments. Please know that I share all reviews internally with my team members. We are diligently working improving what is in our immediate control. Cleanliness and maintenance issues are our top priority. I can tell you that the over night improvements have been substantial. Since purchasing the hotel on 7/31/14, we have made guest satisfaction our absolute number one priority. I have immediate plans to improve our bedding. Orders will be placed shortly to offer our guests a truly luxurious nights sleep. As you pointed out, the hotel is NOT located "on the beach". We are "near" the beach. For any future guests considering our hotel, we are separated from the ocean by a very thin parking lot (four rows of vehicles) and dunes. Our two top floors of the hotel offer stunning ocean views and get reserved well in advance.

Please consider coming back after we have completed this winter's remodeling project. I am confident that you will be impressed with the improvements.

Until next time...safe travels!

bloehr@linchris.com

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!